Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by therealspratt »

Knows nothing wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:45 pm Good additions.

CR quick.
TS dynamic. Played Irish Schools 2 years running.
CR overrated a tad.
AS v rapid.

Any word on sub academy additions?
Which CR would you say is overrated? Because for me it's not the prop (though the prop has some catching up to do after his time out).
Knows nothing
Novice

Post by Knows nothing »

Lol. Didn't even notice they had the same initials. 15.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Knows nothing wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:03 pm Lol. Didn't even notice they had the same initials. 15.
Yeah I'd be of the same opinion, not even the in the top 3 of stand out backs in that Methody Campbell final for me despite how enthusiastic Gusher was about him, though he did have a tougher job with what was around him.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Lewis Finlay involved with sub-academy anyway, JJ McKee still around too.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

What happened with McIlroy?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Setanta wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:19 am What happened with McIlroy?
Not too sure, there's the conspiratorial thinking that it's connected to his brother. He could also just be another O'Donnell and Campbell took a dislike to him, or Nucifora decided that he doesn't fit the bill (have been a couple of instances of this recently across the provinces). Possible as well that like Armstrong he'd rather pursue a career other than rugby, or there's always the chance he might join next year after a spell in the sub academy.
Knows nothing
Novice

Post by Knows nothing »

I hear McIlroy is sub academy
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Gerald the Mole wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:02 pm He won't be playing 7s next season
Sexton will be playing 7s from next week like I said.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

King, is the 7s season not over, I expect him to play this Friday in XV against Leinster
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Gerald the Mole wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:55 am King, is the 7s season not over, I expect him to play this Friday in XV against Leinster
Quite possibly will play against Leinster but heard about the 7s from too many people now for it not to be true.

We will no next week by sounds of it.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

From The42 website
In time he will make that power count in senior 15-a-side rugby, but the medium-term plan for Sexton is to link up with the Ireland Sevens squad. He will be a valuable addition in their maiden World Series campaign and what promises to be a tough final bid for the 2020 Olympics when the World Repechage rolls around.
He's playing 7's and it's been on the cards for some time
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

bangorboy wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:25 am From The42 website
In time he will make that power count in senior 15-a-side rugby, but the medium-term plan for Sexton is to link up with the Ireland Sevens squad. He will be a valuable addition in their maiden World Series campaign and what promises to be a tough final bid for the 2020 Olympics when the World Repechage rolls around.
He's playing 7's and it's been on the cards for some time
The biggest problem with Nucifora is his fixation on this 7s nonsense.

Edit: well also his present interference with academy intakes, though to be honest I don't always trust Campbell in that regard.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It's not his fixation it is most probably an Irish Government request as 7s are included in the Olympics -- and it might increase any funding received from the Government .

Ireland don't have a great number of sportsmen or woman represented at the Olympics -- beyond boxing.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

rumncoke wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:32 pm It's not his fixation it is most probably an Irish Government request as 7s are included in the Olympics -- and it might increase any funding received from the Government .

Ireland don't have a great number of sportsmen or woman represented at the Olympics -- beyond boxing.
What the absolute duck are you on about? His speed makes him ideally suited to 7's play, and it seems a sensible and logical decision to put him there for a season to gain huge experience before coming back to the Academy. Irish government request my ar$e
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Bb — not referring to Sexton but to Nucifora and IRFU

Personally when younger I enjoyed 7s because the game is about keeping the ball live and moving .

You could run further in a game of 7 s in 20 minutes than in 80 minutes of 15 a side because there were fewer scrums and line outs .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist