Japan RWC

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Japan RWC

Post by rumncoke »

There is the talent a player has --and there is the the talent a coach wants unfortunately for Cooney they are not the same thing. Cooney basically has additional talents to the other scrum half options such as goal kicking but there are other goal kickers in the squad.

Talented as Cooney is he was always back up at both leinster and Connaught and never first choice -- why -- maybe his basics are not as strong as those the coaches favour.

But then Boss never really got much appreciation Ireland wise until he went to Leinster-- and he never really got the recognition by some of the Ulster supporters when he played for Ulster either.

The fact is of course the Irish back row and pack are basically either Munster or leinster and playing and training weekly with the forwards in the Irish camp gives the scrum halves from those provinces ahead start over a player from Ulster because a scrum half plays behind the pack and plays into the forwards nearly 50 % of the time -- ie he doesn't have to look to see who is there before passing he knows from experience -- therefore his service maybe or appear to be faster.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Marcel didn't get much chance to impress.

One turnover and then off with a concussion after twenty minutes.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Cracker wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:15 pm Little wonder that Cooney moved up North. His undoubted talent was never fully appreciated down South. Marmion and McGrath ahead of Cooney??????? They must be joking!!!!. He has more rugby talent that the both of them put together. Interesting to see if the injury prone Murray gets hurt again what happens then. The way the Irish management is going we are looking at only Best, Stockdale and Henderson going with Henderson probably on the bench with Toner who contributes very little apart from in the line up starting.
I'm sure they want to play in the RWC but in my innards I'd prefer them to be here. I'll be 70 tomorrow. I never thought for a millisecond that the day would come when I won't give a flying Irish brennantard about the Irish rugby team. There is an article in today's Independent Bigot by Canning which is basically a shocking hatchet job on Cooney and which then goes on to the further players who will get the chop from the squad. The players cited are Addison, Herring, Murphy, McGrath and Farrell. Spot the link between them......
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

On the one hand, I'd like Rory and Stockcube to do well and for Rory to do something that BOD couldn't.

On the other hand if the scanalous treatment of Jackson and Olding was to come back and bite them I would love it.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Used to go to every Ireland home game but not for the last few years. Totally fed up with the anti Ulster bias and what makes it worse is that rugby folks down South and in particular the prats that write for the totally biased Indo. just can't' see it.
To be perfectly honest for the first time in a long Ireland rugby supporting life I now couldn't care less how they do. In my view they will be nowhere near the Final but hope our own Ulster men whoever they may be do well
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

At least Jacob’s hair is coming on nicely and should be ready for action come the Scotland game.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Jacob will be a God in Japan
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Strong rumours have been around since Friday last in Leinster circles that Sexton has a grade 2 tear in his abductor which takes some weeks to get over. The media reports that Carty and Byrne will play at Twickenham seem to be in line with the speculation.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

jackthelad wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:06 pm
Cracker wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:15 pm Little wonder that Cooney moved up North. His undoubted talent was never fully appreciated down South. Marmion and McGrath ahead of Cooney??????? They must be joking!!!!. He has more rugby talent that the both of them put together. Interesting to see if the injury prone Murray gets hurt again what happens then. The way the Irish management is going we are looking at only Best, Stockdale and Henderson going with Henderson probably on the bench with Toner who contributes very little apart from in the line up starting.
I'm sure they want to play in the RWC but in my innards I'd prefer them to be here. I'll be 70 tomorrow. I never thought for a millisecond that the day would come when I won't give a flying Irish brennantard about the Irish rugby team. There is an article in today's Independent Bigot by Canning which is basically a shocking hatchet job on Cooney and which then goes on to the further players who will get the chop from the squad. The players cited are Addison, Herring, Murphy, McGrath and Farrell. Spot the link between them......
Addison - only a regular at Ulster because PJ is no longer at Ulster
Herring - 2nd choice Ulster hooker
Murphy, McGrath - surplus to requirements at Leinster
Farrell - not considered good enough by Ulster at one stage in his career.
:scratch: :scratch:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Dublin4 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:07 am Strong rumours have been around since Friday last in Leinster circles that Sexton has a grade 2 tear in his abductor which takes some weeks to get over. The media reports that Carty and Byrne will play at Twickenham seem to be in line with the speculation.
Lovin' it.
Big Neville Southall
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Big Mervyn,
I guessed you would!
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Check your facts promenader2. Eg. Addison and PJ simply do not play in the same position.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Cracker wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:58 pm Check your facts promenader2. Eg. Addison and PJ simply do not play in the same position.
Of course, my mistake. I was thinking in terms of PJ and Stuart as a package. I don't think Addison would be here if the two lads had not have been forced out, but yes, stupid way to put it. :duh:
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Farrell was encouraged to leave because at the time Ulster had L Marshall ,McCloskey and Olding on the up with Cave heading towards the exit . Useful as Farrell is, he lacks the sureness of McCloskey and the pace and creativeness of either Marshall or Olding.

By sureness i mean ,give McCloskey the ball and 99 times out of 100 he'll make the gain line and recycle.

Given Olding's form at Brive he would in my view be in the 31 party to Japan. Since he has, and can, play,either centre, out half and full back so the person Addison is replacing is not Paddy but Olding.

Given the Irish out half situation -- the weakness and disloyalty of the Dublin/ Irish quorum is now biting their ass.

Strenghth and loyalty were once the backbone of Irish rugby--- not now.

P.S. the other unfortunate Ulster player is in MHO Marshall who had the misfortune to miss most of last season and because of absence of Olding is in MHO being played out of position at outside centre.

Now given Joe's preference for Leinster players I would still expect Henshaw and Ringrose to be his 1st choice centres .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Spot on, Rum.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!