Brexit - now we see what it means.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by rumncoke »

The idea that an individual voter is important is something of an oxymoron in a democracy which believes in majority rule.

It is similiar to the concept that a minority MUST be catered for in EVERY circumstance and some are more privileged than others based on WHAT they are rather than WHO they are -- an example of the latter is the Queen sits in the Royal Box in the theatre or a gentleman can book a Hotel exclusively for a week -- because he can afford to . and an example of the latter the former is a man can go in to a shop and DEMAND a service against the wishes of those providing the service.

We all delude ourselves that we have rights and have airs of self importance but the fact is we come into the world with nothing and survive by virtue of our parents love only to grow into "wage slaves", kissing ass to get ahead -- we don't like it and end up as---- members of #METOO or its equivalent with chips on our shoulders.

Democracy only works if, and only if it consists of basically 4 estates -- Head --upper house-- lower house -- and press media -- keeping a balance between the rights of individuals and majorities .

The Irony is that those demanding Remain and Democratic rights etc desire to be part of the most undemocratic body currently existing. I Know of no other "club" in the world were the membership can impose demands on a member if they wish to resign. ( other than membership fees up to the date of resignation ).

It was Groucho Marx said " I wouldn't join a club who would have me as a member" he might have had a point.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

I agree with this:
Democracy only works if, and only if it consists of basically 4 estates -- Head --upper house-- lower house -- and press media -- keeping a balance between the rights of individuals and majorities .
Supports my view of the proroguing of parliament. Take out the only elected estate, which is parliament (the house of commons), then democracy is not working. Also, the rights of individuals was my point which you started to argue against in your opening line but thanks for agreeing in the end!

What is the most undemocratic body currently existing? You must be talking about the IRFU.

What's the majority now? Minus 43?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Listening to the Chancellor's speech. I'm not an economist by a very, very long way but I just can't see how the figures add up. Everyone is being given more but no cuts? I assume this is founded on spending all the money we will no longer be giving to Europe. :shock:
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I thought all that was going on the Health Service.....
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Go easy on Boris. It was his first day :lol:

I see that horrible treacherous auld bitch, Kate Hoey was prepared to vote with the Tory stars and condemn NI to a no deal Brexit. How the f*ck did she ever get to represent Vauxhall? :scratch: To paraphrase Baggy, I can only wish her a painful death, ideally in a hunting accident.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Good old Oliver knew a thing or two: https://facebook.com/raheemkassam/video ... 05652/?t=0
Not sure that I agree with the poster's politics but the general thrust is hard to deny.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

So now we learn that Brexit is really just an episode of The Incredible Hulk. The levels of stupid just keep rising.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Yes, but there is no arguing with them; waste of energy and breath.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

"The Court is bound to conclude, therefore, that the decision to advise Her Majesty to prorogue Parliament was unlawful because it had the effect of frustrating or preventing the ability of Parliament to carry out its constitutional functions without reasonable justification."
Poor old Boris. :D
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Shan wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:17 pm
"The Court is bound to conclude, therefore, that the decision to advise Her Majesty to prorogue Parliament was unlawful because it had the effect of frustrating or preventing the ability of Parliament to carry out its constitutional functions without reasonable justification."
Poor old Boris. :D
Thon boy Cummings has been giving him some great advice. He'll probably be our next CEO. :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Boris fought the law … and the law won! :lol:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I see fundie God fearing Brexit supporting Boris loving Wright Bus has gone wrong. Maybe if they'd invested the £15 million instead of diverting it to thon loony church?
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

"We made God a shareholder in the business - 26% of Wrights is owned by an evangelical trust - in order to make sure He was central in everything that Wrights does"

Some folk should not be allowed out of captivity, never mind be involved in running an enterprise which hundreds or thousands are employed by.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I've always said Green Pastures was dodgy as feck.

I hear Jeff has jumped ship to the States.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

I've heard that to Jackie. One way ticket.