Random mutterings on attending the match

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Random mutterings on attending the match

Post by BR »

Let me start by (re)introducing myself:
I'm a 50+ year old male. I used to watch a lot of rugby. Went to Ravenhill as a kid. Attended the odd interpro after. Regular since the start of the European Cup. ST since the CL got its act together. I think it would be fair to say I was a prolific shìte talker on this and other rugby forums ever since they were invented.
Got pìssed off with Ulster (especially with Kiss) and only just renewed ST in 17/18 mostly on the promise of Johno Gibbs being involved. The off-field shîte, coupled with the feeling that I'd been sold a pup the previous year, the farce that is the Pro14 league structure, etc, etc, meant I didn't make the same mistake in 18/19. The progressive decrease in the quality of the product (caused by World Rugby's constant reinterpretation/misinterpretation of their own laws) meant I was already watching less rugby when personal circumstances knocked rugby well down my list of priorities. Rather than attend the occasional game last season as I had intended, I darkened Ravenhill's turnstiles once in total (for the playoff match)
Actually have been impressed with the relatively little I've seen of McFarland's set up. It's nowhere near the level Ulster had reached a few years back, but there's something attractive about what they're doing and the way they're doing it. Been at this lark too long to get upset by losing, it was the manner of losing (or even winning) that left me pîssed off, but that seems to have been better last season and, so far, this.

Anyway, I had a bit of a shîtty morning today, so on a whim I took myself off to Ravenhill to shar my napper for a few hours.
Firstly, I can't remember when I could have last confidentiality walked up to the ticket office 10 minutes before K.O. and chosen my place for a European Cup game. Where the fúck was everyone?
Next - do people not clap when the opposition score any longer. I think some people around me thought I was a Quins supporter.
Even with lower attendances in the earlier days of the CL, the atmosphere was better.
Seemed the only time the crowd got excited was to complain about refereeing decisions or to boo opposition players for receiving medical treatment (I noticed Ulster players receiving treatment were given the benefit of the doubt). Of course the atmosphere did improve when, reminiscent of many of my years at ravenhill, Ulster attempted to snatch defeat from the jaws victory. And further intensified when they finally nicked it from the 5 to 1 prematch underdogs.
So with the benefit of having stepped back for some perspective, how have things changed? Ulster has improved, the game itself has gone downhill, and - trying to be objective - the Ravenhill experience seems to be more in tune with the complete shïte-storm that personified Ulster Rugby a couple of seasons ago.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Random mutterings on attending the match

Post by Jackie Brown »

Haven't been in over 18months. Do they still have some DJ mispronouncing the opposition names? Do they still preach about 'Ulster Values'? Do they still pump in SUFTUM? Is there a Band? The whole experience used to be very organic, head down, meet your mates, cheer on the lads.

Now it's feels very artificial, very plastic, I'll sing SUFTUM if they deserve it.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

This season is, I think my 10th consecutive ST.

The atmosphere was ok today in my opinion, but I agree with BR that it mostly focused on Harlequins time wasting than on anything Ulster did - probably a reflection of the lack of quality from Ulster today (and this season generally). It's probably not that shocking that in a tight game where the ref could honestly have done more to keep the defensive line in check, that the officials came in for some abuse.

Ravenhill is missing something, and BR I think it's probably missing people like you. We need more people, and we need the disaffected Ulster fans back again.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

FWIW everyone around me in the grandstand clapped when Quins scored.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

pwrmoore wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:25 am FWIW everyone around me in the grandstand clapped when Quins scored.
Did you never get those seats in the away allocation swapped? ;)
www.stoutboys.co.uk
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

Mrs T and myself were season ticket holders for many years. For many years before that I stood on the terraces with my sons cheering a team we were proud of.

None of us have been back since the end of the season where the management treated our players so badly - Ruan, Paddy and Stu. The powers that be obviously thought it was better to listen to the metoo movement rather that the true supporters. Why have the thousands of metoo supporters not been filling the ground?

Years ago an important match in the European cup would have been sold out weeks in advance - not Saturday's !!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:29 am Haven't been in over 18months. Do they still have some DJ mispronouncing the opposition names? Do they still preach about 'Ulster Values'? Do they still pump in SUFTUM? Is there a Band? The whole experience used to be very organic, head down, meet your mates, cheer on the lads.

Now it's feels very artificial, very plastic, I'll sing SUFTUM if they deserve it.
DJ seems better, lower key. Not trying to interview the half time minis. He could have been mispronouncing the Fijians' names, I wouldn't have a clue.

Didn't see anything about Ulster Values. Pretty sure the girl in the ticket office would have been happy to take my cash, if I had been blacked-up, wearing a Nazi uniform, carrying a burning rainbow flag.

Didn't notice any pumped in music other than when the teams ran out.

The band was there but not that noticeable.

Have to say, none of those things bothered me as much as they did 2 years ago. Maybe they've improved; maybe the break has provided some perspective.

I notice you do not ask the most important question. The answer is - I don't know! I was driving.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Basically ,I've only been to one game since Logan sh-t on the parade , due to the fact that friends I went with can no longer go for a number of reasons but watch most games on the tele .

The atmosphere even before my decision to stop buying a season ticket had gone to the dogs -- too many only there for the drink and social claim i was there -- the DJ and pre game experience was a none event -- SUFTUM was artificial because too many of the crowd were just arriving from the bar -- it was a flat experience all round .

I am of the 2 men and a dog days when a few die hards knew how to shout .

I can understand the frustration of the crowd yesterday with Quins second half performance of professional time wasting and expected the penalty to come close to the end -- could sense the pressure being forced on the ref by both Quins in their attitude and the crowd and their response.

I can understand BRs attitude to the game changes being forced by rule changes which while well intentioned are not really getting to the core problem . Defence is King and weight counts inside the 22 .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

BR you should have tried the Heineken Zero.

I got it for free. I'd not pay for it but its nice.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

damianmcr wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:26 pm BR you should have tried the Heineken Zero.

Is free alcohol free a regular thing for drivers now?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Vanhelsing
Novice

Post by Vanhelsing »

Abit harsh lads,have you fell outa the wrong side of bed.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Vanhelsing wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:39 pm Abit harsh lads,have you fell outa the wrong side of bed.
Me?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:34 pm
damianmcr wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:26 pm BR you should have tried the Heineken Zero.

No that was a one off at the Clermont game.

When I say free it was one given to me by someone from Heineken.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

damianmcr wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:03 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:34 pm

No that was a one off at the Clermont game.

When I say free it was one given to me by someone from Heineken.
Any luck tracking down a match video Damo?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

I got it last night but didn't post it. I'll post it within the hour.