Munster Game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Re: Munster Game

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Haven't heard of Daly before the Munster full back, is he any good? Is Haley injured or being rested.

Munster bench clearly very strong, need to hold on to the ball and put a good bit of pressure on their starters. Agree with the sentiment that we should win this, big game for McFarland to show how far we have come.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Think there are better options at 15 to be honest.
Certainly think he can offer a threat at 15 for UR, but for me WA has a better all round game. JL seems to be the Ire 15 heir apparent & to be fair I wouldn’t argue a whole amount with that. Not sure I’d be kicking to a back 3 of Lowe, JL, JS.

jS barely had a touch of the ball (when he did he had zero space) at the WC so hardly surprising he’s dried up. Personally for me having an attacking 15 with a decent pair of hands will help him - he needs to run trail lines off WA, and Larmour (likely 15 for Ire) - & he needs the freedom to come off his wing for Ire more. Just like when he fed off Piatau when he broke into The team. He’s a class player, he’ll come good.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It’s been reported that Jordi is ill.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Good interview in the press with Luke Marshall, talking about the intensity of training instilled by Dan, Jared etc. Delighted to see the lad get a good run, he deserves it, however have to pull him on one quote, he says that 'although it sounds a bit corny, Dan is trying to instil in us playing for the badge...' - its not corny Luke, its what has made teams like Munster, in their prime, what they were, that's exactly why it matters!!
ScottishBrian
Novice

Post by ScottishBrian »

Marco wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:18 am Good interview in the press with Luke Marshall, talking about the intensity of training instilled by Dan, Jared etc. Delighted to see the lad get a good run, he deserves it, however have to pull him on one quote, he says that 'although it sounds a bit corny, Dan is trying to instil in us playing for the badge...' - its not corny Luke, its what has made teams like Munster, in their prime, what they were, that's exactly why it matters!!
Couldn't agree more
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I can understand Luke's attitude -- he being Ulster born and bred doesn't need it instilled -- but many in the squad aren't thus the need to approach the aspect of pride on a squad basis.

I am not that sure that Lamour is the 15 in waiting for Ireland -- he suffers from the curse of being versatile along the back line and -- like Cooney a reputation of being a" loose cannon".--- The one thing that is evident to all is that Kearney was and never would be a" loose cannon" Lamour possesses the skills and vision and it is a style of play which is successful and acceptable at Pro14 level but is not encouraged at International level, where the the game plan is based on control.

In my opinion the two most likely to be considered are Conway and Stockdale both can if necessary return at speed and both can catch and kick a reasonable length . ( not that convinced about Larmour's kicking and his return runs are basically un predictable and could lead to becoming isolated ) The other factor which worries me to some extent is Stockdale's defence on the wing -- he can look indecisive at times but it does not seem to be present when he plays full back.

Ireland has options on the wing but the options at full back a limited.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

The match is a sell out again, two in a row... Hopefully it's a sign of things to come, and with the next home game being against Bath we could potentially make it a hat trick. No doubt a sign of the feel good factor around the place at the minute, if it holds up the extra ticket sales could make a big difference to the bottom line at the end of year as well.

Really excited about the match, not 100% first choice from Munster, but think it's the strongest team they've sent up in a while?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

MightyRearranger wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:33 pm The match is a sell out again, two in a row... Hopefully it's a sign of things to come, and with the next home game being against Bath we could potentially make it a hat trick. No doubt a sign of the feel good factor around the place at the minute, if it holds up the extra ticket sales could make a big difference to the bottom line at the end of year as well.

Really excited about the match, not 100% first choice from Munster, but think it's the strongest team they've sent up in a while?
Correct! :thumleft:

Not just the extra ticket sales, but the extra beverages sold also with the additional footfall.

If yearly averages attendances go up you are in a stronger position of power with your sponsors to demand more coin, or at least able to sell advertising space more easily.

The synergies go on and on.....
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Still no sign of ROG
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Jackie Brown wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:04 pm Still no sign of ROG
in Pau this weekend along with Johno Gibbes. Neither of them seemed to be too keen on spending time here.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

[quote=rumncoke post_id=691007 time=1578050103 user_id=2190

I am not that sure that Lamour is the 15 in waiting for Ireland -- he suffers from the curse of being versatile along the back line and -- like Cooney a reputation of being a" loose cannon".--- The one thing that is evident to all is that Kearney was and never would be a" loose cannon" Lamour possesses the skills and vision and it is a style of play which is successful and acceptable at Pro14 level but is not encouraged at International level, where the the game plan is based on control.

In my opinion the two most likely to be considered are Conway and Stockdale both can if necessary return at speed and both can catch and kick a reasonable length . ( not that convinced about Larmour's kicking and his return runs are basically un predictable and could lead to becoming isolated ) The other factor which worries me to some extent is Stockdale's defence on the wing -- he can look indecisive at times but it does not seem to be present when he plays full back.

Ireland has options on the wing but the options at full back a limited.
[/quote]

I see your point Rum....ultimately it’s a question of coaching preferences.

Whoever is Ires next 15 - needs to be playing for their province there full time. Neither 3 currently do that. Conway rarely plays 15, as does JS. The only recent regular is JL. RK is out of contract end of season. I believe JL is being groomed for 15. Stockdale would need to work on his kicking accuracy & catching concentration too if he was going to make a go at 15. WA has more chance than JS at 15 if he can stay fit.

Anyway more importantly the bloody game tonight. Huge game for both teams, lots of tasty match ups. Munster need this win. Obviously Ravenhill is building that fortress factor again.
My mind goes back to the article a few weeks ago when bill Johnston was asked to stand up infront of the ulster boys by Dan McF when he arrived, and tell them what Munster players thought of them - “mentally weak, could be bullied if you match them physically”....I wonder how many Ulster players will remember that meeting tonight? There’ll be 2 sets of players going full on tonight - can’t wait. :red:
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

Post by Hapax Legomenon »

Big challenge tonight. Matty Rea needs to start imposing himself on opposition back rowers. For me he stands out of the starting side as a little lightweight.
There can be only one
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Great game so far. Cracking try by Ulster to counter the early Munster one

Ulster 10 7 Munster
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Yessss. Well worked try resulting in a try by Balacoune inside the far corner. :cheers: :fleg: :red:
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Cooney gets the conversion

Ulster 18 - 7 Munster