Ravenhill crowd/attendance

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Ravenhill crowd/attendance

Post by Dharper »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50930084

Interesting comments- particularly “2yrs since a full house”. I’ll be interested in the attendances for the Munster & bath A, games before reading too much into it.

I’ll be flying back for the Bath A Euro game.

Thoughts? Is the feel good factor now within UR, now getting back some of the disgruntled? Re mismanagement/brad pitt rugby/PJSO?

Is this new 18 game winning streak attracting new “supporters” who aren’t really from a rugby background? Anyone noticed a discernible change over last 2 seasons?

I have to say that although biased it is clearly obvious a bouncing crowd especially against big money teams - La Rochelle, racing, clermont etc must feed into the players massively. Brilliant atmosphere to experience - especially when time & again we are labelled underdogs....then put teams under. :red:
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ravenhill crowd/attendance

Post by justinr73 »

Until yesterday, the crowds and atmosphere have been disappointing given the improvements on the pitch.

It was the Christmas game so, as you say, let’s see who turns up for Bath.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Thought the atmosphere at the Clermont game was pretty good too to be fair. Really enjoyed the energy about the place while Ulster were defending on the line at the end of the first half last night, the intensity they were all showing was incredible.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It was grand in the bar after Clermont.

Exactly two weeks from now, I may have blue and yellow cheeks if I can find that young lady with the face paint again 👍
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Official attendancw 17483. Feels about right for once. Even the corner at the Aquinas end of the Prom was full.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Would say the Christmas fixture adds 1.5k with returning students and expats included. If Munster sells out it will be a good sign considering many will have left these shores again. Really looking forward to it and i think we should be looking to make a statement against a fully loaded munster team. Best team on the park for the next 3 games then we get another break. Jordi, hendo and jacob will be busting to make an impact as well.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:43 pm Would say the Christmas fixture adds 1.5k with returning students and expats included. If Munster sells out it will be a good sign considering many will have left these shores again. Really looking forward to it and i think we should be looking to make a statement against a fully loaded munster team. Best team on the park for the next 3 games then we get another break. Jordi, hendo and jacob will be busting to make an impact as well.

No doubt about the Christmas social catch up with returning students and expats boosting the crowd significantly. Hopefully results and performances will get the punters back.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

So what is the official capacity of the Kingspan? We were to have built a stadium to hold 18,250 or so but to my knowledge we were sold out last night but only 17,400 or so. I’ve never seen an attendance over 17.6k. If the Aviva or Wembley was built with 6 or 7000 less seats than was planned for their would be a bit of an uproar to say the least. So why do we just accept it? The Ulster way?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

HammerTime wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:01 pm So what is the official capacity of the Kingspan? We were to have built a stadium to hold 18,250 or so but to my knowledge we were sold out last night but only 17,400 or so. I’ve never seen an attendance over 17.6k. If the Aviva or Wembley was built with 6 or 7000 less seats than was planned for their would be a bit of an uproar to say the least. So why do we just accept it? The Ulster way?

Remember it was the era of a certain spoofer at the helm. Probably made the capacity up as well.
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

HammerTime wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:01 pm So what is the official capacity of the Kingspan? We were to have built a stadium to hold 18,250 or so but to my knowledge we were sold out last night but only 17,400 or so. I’ve never seen an attendance over 17.6k. If the Aviva or Wembley was built with 6 or 7000 less seats than was planned for their would be a bit of an uproar to say the least. So why do we just accept it? The Ulster way?
Sell out will always be below actual capacity unless every season ticket holder turns up. There were at least a few empty seats around us as regulars couldn't make it and obviously hadn't passed on their tickets
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Season Tickets have an assumed attendance at some games -- because the money is in the bank other games it is the clicks at the gates if the number of tickets sold is substantial and capacity might be excessive in terms of security etc.

Which figure is used may depend on night -- ie monetary tickets sold -- or the clicks at the gate.both are relevant numbers.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:57 am Season Tickets have an assumed attendance at some games -- because the money is in the bank other games it is the clicks at the gates if the number of tickets sold is substantial and capacity might be excessive in terms of security etc.

Which figure is used may depend on night -- ie monetary tickets sold -- or the clicks at the gate.both are relevant numbers.
Why report them differently though, given that the technology will provide both figures?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My take on that would be use the gate click if the attendance is good if not-- then ticket sales --

Feel good -- needed by management,Players, and crowd.

From a players point of view I would think the noise of the crowd is the most important factor -- sometimes the smaller crowd is more vocal -- 8000 sounds like 14000-- sometimes 16000 sound like 2

Frequently crowds are more vocal when a team is under pressure than when the team is strolling to victory.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

17,461 last night (22 less than the Connacht game)

17.5K seems to be the de facto capacity at present.
Big Neville Southall
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Nearly 1000 less than what the stadium was supposed to hold. What an absolute joke of an organisation UR are at times. I’ll say it again if the Aviva or Wembley was built with 10,000 seats less than what was planned for, there’d be....well, it just wouldn’t happen ffs.