A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by Jackie Brown »

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Arlene's bought a rake of them to throw in the oul boiler!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Got a copy for Christmas. Plan to read it next week. Review to follow :D
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:02 pm
Got a copy for Christmas. Plan to read it next week. Review to follow :D
I got wan too. I'm currently reading a giant Led Zeppelin biog that I also got.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Irish Government backtracking on their plan to hold commemoration for the murderous RIC and DMP. The plan was a serious own goal with an election looming. The backtrack is as bad especially as the responsible minister is still trying to tell folk it's a good idea to commemorate British Crown paramilitary organisations(c House of commons 1919). FFS some of these Fine Gael folk have their heads up their asses.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Murderers on both sides, I think the Easter Rising lot murdered a few. My great grandfather was in the RIC, a decent spud, as I'm sure many were.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Sure there were decent individuals in the ranks. That is neither here nor there. I'm not aware of any state which commemorates orgs who tried to stop that state coming into being, never mind the rest of the stuff they got involved in.

If I ever see the yanks commemoration for the British actions prior to and during the yank war of independence I'll rethink it, assuming I haven't died of shock first.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The unfortunate thing was the force had been granted the right to include the word “ Royal “ in its name .

Exactly why Royalty has the hate status it has really is surprising. To the extent they had to change Kings County and Queens County .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dublin Metropolitan Police did not have the world royal in its title so the R in RIC is not the issue. You may know that. Never quite sure if you simply haven't an earthly or if yer just ballix acting.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Shan wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:25 am Sure there were decent individuals in the ranks. That is neither here nor there. I'm not aware of any state which commemorates orgs who tried to stop that state coming into being, never mind the rest of the stuff they got involved in.

If I ever see the yanks commemoration for the British actions prior to and during the yank war of independence I'll rethink it, assuming I haven't died of shock first.
When my great grandfather was in France the local IRA brigade beat my family members to death and burnt down the family farm in Cavan. Ok to commemorate those brave heroes of the Irish state?

Is it the insurgents/terrorists/freedom fighters we are commemorating rather than the Irishmen who worked for the state. It is possible now, as it was then, to be British and Irish. Maybe some Irish are more Irish than others.

Your USA analogy is stupid. The RIC were Irishmen not foreign occupiers.

I think the one thing we can agree on. The centenary commemorations have been done well North and South up to now. What follows, War of Independence, Partition and Irish Civil War won't be as simple. Your two main parties are still based on pro and anti-treaty factions! Which side are we commemorating in the civil war commemorations?

Tread carefully.
Last edited by Jackie Brown on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I think a lot of these celebrations/commemorations are ill conceived. In the case of the RIC, all those who served (and most of their childrwn) will be dead.

The NI centenary next year ia set to be another divisive wan. Doubt if the founding fathers envisaged a Fenian majority or a border down the Irish sea :lol:

Anybody else remember Ulster '71 in Botanic?
Big Neville Southall
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

big mervyn wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:37 am I think a lot of these celebrations/commemorations are ill conceived.
A lot of things were ill conceived In RoI over many decades, when contraceptives were banned.
big mervyn wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:37 am I In the case of the RIC, all those who served (and most of their childrwn) will be dead.
Aye, a not insignificant number of them murdered by terrorists.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Jackie Brown wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:43 am
When my great grandfather was in France the local IRA brigade beat my family members to death and burnt down the family farm in Cavan. Ok to commemorate those brave heroes of the Irish state?

Is it the insurgents/terrorists/freedom fighters we are commemorating rather than the Irishmen who worked for the state. It is possible now, as it was then, to be British and Irish. Maybe some Irish are more Irish than others.

Your USA analogy is stupid. The RIC were Irishmen not foreign occupiers.

I think the one thing we can agree on. The centenary commemorations have been done well North and South up to now. What follows, War of Independence, Partition and Irish Civil War won't be as simple. Your two main parties are still based on pro and anti-treaty factions! Which side are we commemorating in the civil war commemorations?

Tread carefully.

I don't agree with commemorating the IRA guys. I've never really gone in much for the 1916 stuff. I'm on record here about that in the past.

I have no issue with folk who consider themselves Irish and British. Good luck to them. I also don't think the RIC / DMP regardless of whether they had members who considered themselves Irish , Irish & British or British should be commemorated.

The RIC(and DMP) contained Irishmen but it was a British paramilitary organisation according to the house of commons. If the UK State wants to commemorate them I'd have no concerns. They wouldn't want to though as far as I know. So on that basis it is similar to the US situation.

I'd prefer if there were no commemorations for anything. However I do agree that in the main it has not been too bad up to now. The stuff coming down the line, just like this ballix, has the potential to be divisive. I mean I don't don't usually get energised and almost never agree with folk who consider themselves nationalists(or Irish Republicans as some prefer to call themselves) but this stuff is a nonsense. Be also advised that unlike our green headed friends I'd have no issue if there was a commemoration of the RIC/DMP in Ireland as long as it wasn't being done by the state itself.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Yanks celebrate the Brits every year for something that happen before The War of independence

It’s called THANKSGIVING And they were Brits
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:57 pm Yanks celebrate the Brits every year for something that happen before The War of independence

It’s called THANKSGIVING And they were Brits
Actually they were English (there were no "Brits" as this happened before the 1707 and 1801 Acts of union.)

Furthermore, they are not celebrated for something they did on the English establishment's behalf, rather, they were fleeing religious persecution by it, first to the Netherlands, then to the New World.
Big Neville Southall