Ulster v Bath

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Bath

Post by rumncoke »

Re the scrum

The Ulster scrum was fine on its own put in .

Now as a prop I try to disrupt an opposition scrum ( disruption of the scrum being illegal by any means other than push) to do one of two things either to disrupt the quality of their heal and delivery to scrum half or to attempt to tire the opposing propfroward

The first is basically a waste of effort with scrum half’s putting the ball in the second row.The second can be self destruction ie you tire your self more than the opposing prop.

The third reason is to get a penalty which of course requires the referee to be a moron -and penalise the wrong side .

If I try to disrupt the opposition scrum and get penalise then I know the referee is not a moron and therefore refrain from the practice .

On Saturday Bath played the referee disrupting the scrum on their own put in to benefit from the penalty — a kick to touch with the benefit of throw in .

Henderson on the third or fourth penalty questioned the referee as to what was wrong

His question should have been “ Do we look stupid “ if the referee had answered “ No “ “ Then don’t treat us as if we are .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

IMHO I don’t think Gilroy isn’t the player he was before injury — there appears to be a desire to avoid physical contact and to be honest it is understandable having had back pain for 9 months would make anyone think twice .

It’s a shame because he has served Ulster well in the past but with the number of backs who are or would be available but for injury I can see retirement in the near future .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

If Gilroy was unfit he wouldn’t be near the match day 23. His tackle stats aren’t great, however he was never particularly good defensively....let’s be honest. I doubt he’ll be retiring. His form is patchy to say the least, but I wouldn’t be writing him off yet. He needs a good run of game time. When you’ve been out that long it’s essy to pick up niggles & knocks. He has been overtaken for me by RB & RL, LL is a strange positional choice but not a long term option. I’ll reserve judgment on where he is til end of season/give him a full pre season. He is now genuinely under pressure we’ll see how he responds.
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

Post by Hapax Legomenon »

Gilroy depended on Darren Cave keeping him right in defence.
There can be only one
Notarealdoctor
Novice

Post by Notarealdoctor »

Dharper wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:21 pm If Gilroy was unfit he wouldn’t be near the match day 23. His tackle stats aren’t great, however he was never particularly good defensively....let’s be honest. I doubt he’ll be retiring. His form is patchy to say the least, but I wouldn’t be writing him off yet. He needs a good run of game time. When you’ve been out that long it’s essy to pick up niggles & knocks. He has been overtaken for me by RB & RL, LL is a strange positional choice but not a long term option. I’ll reserve judgment on where he is til end of season/give him a full pre season. He is now genuinely under pressure we’ll see how he responds.
He should get a good run of games during the Six Nations with Stockdale, Addison and potentially Baloucoune away. That period could be quite telling for whether he is still the player he was prior to injury. As seen in recent weeks, we've a cracking XV but could really do with competition, even in the back three.
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

damianmcr wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:30 am
MightyRearranger wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 pm I haven't heard much about Aaron Sexton this year, but if he comes back into the panel post 7's and comes anywhere close to the hype there'll be some battle for places in the Ulster team.
I don't think he made the Ireland 7's team.
He didn't nake the squad for the hong kong 7s but there is only like 10 in the squad. He is part of the setup though I think. Waste of time if you ask me.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Evil Kiwi wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:08 pm
damianmcr wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:30 am
MightyRearranger wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 pm I haven't heard much about Aaron Sexton this year, but if he comes back into the panel post 7's and comes anywhere close to the hype there'll be some battle for places in the Ulster team.
I don't think he made the Ireland 7's team.
He didn't nake the squad for the hong kong 7s but there is only like 10 in the squad. He is part of the setup though I think. Waste of time if you ask me.
What is the point of 7s in this country? Nobody gives a flying feck about. It. Your average fan here would have more awareness of the weemin's 7s team.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

much more a younger players sport, and that's where the most interest lies. Personally I like it and enjoy watching.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Just checked and it seems he hasn't made the sevens squad announced a couple of days ago either. Not sure if there are injuries at play, but if not I'm a bit surprised he isn't making the cut. I've only saw him play a handful of times, but he stood out in the A team last year. Heard he looked very impressive with Ireland U19 as well.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

he's in the overall sevens squad of about 20, which includes a development team, but hasn't broken into the main squad - probably because Jordan Conroy is their current speedster and very quick indeed.
That being the case, it does seem surprising that he isn't in the Ireland U20 squad for the 6N.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:05 pm He's been our best back three player this season, as things stand his place in our first XV should be fairly nailed on. I'm slightly suprised that nobody is talking about him with respect to the Ireland team, i think he's playing well enough and with Earls in such bad form and Kearney not in the squad two of the places are up for grabs.
I am.

Of course, my opinion is usually best ignored :lol:
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Rumn was a prop!
This explains rumspeak.,...........as well as the confusing opinions about back play and tactics!
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Treadwell cited, hearing on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 50785?s=20
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He recklessly allowed the other fella to shoulder charge him.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Neill_M wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:40 pm Treadwell cited, hearing on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 50785?s=20

3 week ban >EW
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall