Heineken Cup seeding.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Heineken Cup seeding.

Post by justinr73 »

Beat me to it Damo.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Given the punishments handed out, i don’t see how they can retain their titles won during the period when they fell foul of this.

Evem if this happens, it will still leave a bad taste and the beneficiaries of the trophies never get the same satisfaction as that if winning an actual final on the pitch.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I’ll be very interested to watch that game. I was at the final last yr. the reason Leinster lost wasn’t ringrose butchering a 4 on 1, in many ways they did well to still be in it til 55mins. (He had a shocker).
What was noticeable early on and became more and more pronounced as the game went on was the difference in sheer “Power” between the sides. Leinster pick and drives were stopped on the gainline, ball was slow, and they got turned over in really good field positions. Sarries got over the gainline at will, Leinster soaked huge territory to sarries carrying phases, and totally lost the breakdown battle.

With porter, Kelleher development, Deegan Doris giving backrow options, and in JL a genuine threat from 15 - I’d be interested to see how they go.

Ironically as sarries are relegated anyway, they can in effect rest their top players to be prepared for Europe....very provincial!!
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Personally I think the rumours of a 2 mil overspend is an under estimate....that may be part reason why there is no agreement to disclose the accounts/audit. Let’s say it was 4 mil, and has been consistently that for several yrs. compare their squad to any French big spender, there won’t be that much difference in wages. The pi$h takers nearly signed marmion just before this blew up.
saracens....the east Germany of rugby.
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

Bart S said that Ulster won away in Toulouse. Can someone tell me when?

I know they beat Castres away but I can't recall the Toulouse game.

IF Ulster win against Toulouse AND Saints beat Exeter does that mean Ulster will have a 'home' semi at the Aviva against Saints?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

twiglet wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:27 am Bart S said that Ulster won away in Toulouse. Can someone tell me when?

IF Ulster win against Toulouse AND Saints beat Exeter does that mean Ulster will have a 'home' semi at the Aviva against Saints?
Ulster have beat Toulouse home and away (25-23 at Toulouse) in the 2015/16 season. We also beat Oyonnax twice. Sarries topped the group and Ulster were 9th seeds with 4 wins and 18pts.

You are correct about the home semi scenario.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The game at their place was notable for the unusual presence of someone dressed as Batman standing on top of one of the stands.

The atmosphere was poor, partly because it was an early kick off on Sunday iirc and largely because they were playing terribly at the time.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

twiglet wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:27 am Bart S said that Ulster won away in Toulouse. Can someone tell me when?

I think either way our semi would be at home given the draw be that Exeter or Northampton.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Ulster 6th seeds so get game in Dublin v 7th seeds Saints or game in Twickenham maybe v Chiefs 2nd seeds in SF if it happens.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:50 am

Ulster have beat Toulouse home and away (25-23 at Toulouse) in the 2015/16 season. We also beat Oyonnax twice. Sarries topped the group and Ulster were 9th seeds with 4 wins and 18pts.

You are correct about the home semi scenario.
Am I correct in saying we've only played Toulouse once before in a European Cup quarter final? :stir:

I think we won, how else did we fair that year......

The writing is on the wall of Trap 2.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Our European head to head record against Toulouse is not too shabby.

Played 9 Won 5 Drew 1 Lost 3

The draw was a memorable 35-35 in Toulouse in 2000.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

I think this is winable.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

fermain wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:13 pm I think this is winable.
Agree, but it's as Dan states we need our perfect game.

We still need to go about 2 more levels and play there consistently at that level. I've confidence Dan can take us there.

Waiting patiently to hear of any new signings.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:09 am
fermain wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:13 pm I think this is winable.
Agree, but it's as Dan states we need our perfect game.

We still need to go about 2 more levels and play there consistently at that level. I've confidence Dan can take us there.

Waiting patiently to hear of any new signings.
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/saracens ... sdTglCKnH4
Big Neville Southall