6N 2020

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: 6N 2020

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:34 am While Jackson hasn't claimed the 10 jersey at LI this could because they have another 10 but are short full backs.

And he has on occasion had some very reasonable games for L I.

But as Shan says it is the match day 23 that count -- the Ulster starters being --Henderson and Stockdale -- bench Herring Burns and Cooney-- Why Burns ( to make him a break glass option and a one cap wonder )

Sexton is going the way of BoD -- wrapped in cotton wool at leinster --who have a ready supply of PRO14 out half options of equal quality.
Given how cracked and fragile the glass is, Billy might make the 6N 23 on m9re than one occassion.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

Hard to claim any jersey if you're injured.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Shan wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:55 pm To be honest the only squad that actually matters is the matchday squad. There won't be too many from Ulster or Munster in that and it will be difficult to argue that it should be any different......although I'm sure plenty on here and MF will give it a good go. :D
It will be interesting.

Toner can't have been named in the squad to give him some experience and may consign Hendy to the bench.

Herring again did his best to throw himself out of the side, whilst Stockdale may even end up at 23.

I reckon Cooney will start because it's not against England or Wales and AF is on a hiding to nothing if he doesn't select him.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:58 am
It will be interesting.

Toner can't have been named in the squad to give him some experience and may consign Hendy to the bench.

Herring again did his best to throw himself out of the side, whilst Stockdale may even end up at 23.

I reckon Cooney will start because it's not against England or Wales and AF is on a hiding to nothing if he doesn't select him.

Agreed. I will be surprised if Toner is not selected. With all the possible hookers having question marks about their throwing AF will be concerned about the line-out and even more so if he takes the somewhat bold, but evidently justifiable, decision to not select an out of sorts POM.

I hope Cooney starts but I have a feeling we'll be seeing the old Murray - Sexton pairing. We'll actually be able to make a very quick judgement on AF on this selection alone - Has he the balls to drop one of the untouchables. Stupid in reality to need balls to drop a badly out of form(for over a year) player but tis the IRFU way.

I think he'll stick with Stockdale and Earls as the starters. Conway and Kearney are arguably both in better recent form but you couldn't exactly say that Stockdale and Earls are badly out of form. So it will be interesting to see which way AF goes. One could easily argue for example that Conway is a better bench option that the other three, even if you think he should be the first choice starter.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

So. ... we're expecting Janny to start in the 6N after zero competitive rugby for 3 1/2 months?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Yes Mervyn. A supreme talent such as Janny is not subject to the requirements of the normal athlete / sportsman. He has that special ability to turn in an 80 minute world class performance at will. In a thousand years time he will still be honoured as a hero of All Ireland for this rare ability. Just he and BOD thus far of the many hundreds who have ever pulled on an Ireland shirt are in this category. Most likely to be joined by some other fabulous Leinster players of the future.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

McCloskey gets the call up!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

germcevoy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:59 pm McCloskey gets the call up!
Great news for the lad. Of course I wish he could be in two places at once - we'll miss him badly.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

># >rtfm
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Byrne had a bit of a nightmare game on Saturday for leinster . As I have stated reasonable Pro14 but International ?
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Healy herring furlong
Ryan toner
Stander Doris VdF
Cooney Sexton
Henshaw ringrose
Stockdale Larmour Conway.

Kilcoyne kelleher porter
Henderson POM
Murray
Byrne
Addison

This is my likely side, on basis primarily this is about Winning the 6ns not experimenting. No real surprises in front row. Herring starts, fully deserves his go. Was class in Oz when given his chance: Strong breakdown/scrumwork.
2nd row. Ryan picks himself. DT starts on tighthead side, to take some load off Ryan & There to help take pressure off new hookers, as will also mean a new backrow throwing option. He’s a safety valve, and I don’t want to see lost attacking lineouts 10metres out.
Scots have decent backrow - Could be a pain. VdF at 7 tackle anything that moves, great engine, improving at breakdown. Doris at 8, can carry, at 6’4 an option at lineout. Stander at 6 his best position he is Experienced & will be better as now there are 2 carrying options in backrow, he’s playing better than POM.
Cooney must start at 9. Sexton 10 if fit. Henshaw ringrose centres, experienced combo. With Leinster back up 10 it’ll be easier with a 12 he plays with.
Back 3 all can cover switch positions during game. All quality finishers.

Looking for impact off bench with a degree of security if needed.
Props dynamic. Kelleher in amongst team mates / Leinster throwing options, looks good in loose if game breaks up. Henderson adequate at lineout time, huge physical presence if turns into an arm wrestle. POM not there on form!! Experience leadership lineout option if malfunctions, breakdown work. This is also a trial whether he has a future or not. Deegan will get time likely Italy, if turned into a slugfest he wouldn’t be ideal bench material - but exciting if picked!!
Murray 9. If cooney has mare he has experience- again like Pom he is on trial. If Ire on front foot he will keep pack going forward.
Byrne 10 - quality kicking game, solid option.
Addison covers everything - quality operator absolutely no issues if he starts 15. If JL is seen as long term option then he needs the exposure.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I've read a couple of commentators predicting Murray to start as he had a MOTM performance v Tospreys
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

Post by Hapax Legomenon »

Murray is likely to start against Scotland. Stander shouldn't be near the 23 and POM may just scrape in as starting Doris and Deegan may be too much of a risk for the IRFU old farts.
There can be only one
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Doris really ought to be at 8.

96% tackle success rate this season, 31 defenders beaten and 3.5m per carry.

Depends whether you want Stander’s carrying or POM’s lineout work at 6.

Think I’d go for Stander at 6 and Deegan on the bench.

And I reckon Addison, if fit, has at least as good a chance of starting as Stockdale has.
Hapax Legomenon
Novice

Post by Hapax Legomenon »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:38 am Doris really ought to be at 8.

96% tackle success rate this season, 31 defenders beaten and 3.5m per carry.

Depends whether you want Stander’s carrying or POM’s lineout work at 6.

Think I’d go for Stander at 6 and Deegan on the bench.

And I reckon Addison, if fit, has at least as good a chance of starting as Stockdale has.
Stander's carrying?

Not lately.
There can be only one