A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by solidarity »

From a position of ignorance, I'd guess Merv's number four, unless the big two decide that, cynically, they can put up with each other rather than footer about with the minnows. Or, could one or other decide that actually the Shinners are really, honestly nowhere near as bad as everyone else says they are?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

FF already softening the tone and that is coming from Martin. FF is notorious for wanting power at any cost and Martin wants desperately to be Taoiseach. FF / SF coalition is a strong possibility.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Must be great to have the short memory and the lack of principles of the ROI electorate.
Hundred of thousands of people collectively forget the murders of their northern Irish colleagues by SF/IRA and vote on the promise of a few houses and lower rents!
How fickle can you get
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Bobbievee wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:46 am Must be great to have the short memory and the lack of principles of the ROI electorate.
Hundred of thousands of people collectively forget the murders of their northern Irish colleagues by SF/IRA and vote on the promise of a few houses and lower rents!
How fickle can you get
Even 24% isn't a ringing endorsement of the electorate. The pre 1998 stuff probably isn't even in the collective memory of many of thise who voted SF. Seems to me like more of a pragmatic drift to the left than any outpouring of Nationalism.
If you go back far enough, both FF and FG also have their roots in the Ra.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Don't thing you'd get away with this in "the North" :lol:

https://youtu.be/AVrHlxYXsmc
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:05 am
Bobbievee wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:46 am Must be great to have the short memory and the lack of principles of the ROI electorate.
How fickle can you get

Even 24% isn't a ringing endorsement of the electorate. The pre 1998 stuff probably isn't even in the collective memory of many of thise who voted SF. Seems to me like more of a pragmatic drift to the left than any outpouring of Nationalism.
If you go back far enough, both FF and FG also have their roots in the Ra.
Mervyn
Fair enough,
My age is too high and my memory too good.
If there ever was a thing not to move on from, murdering civilians , kids and off duty fellow Irishmen is one.
Eventually dinosaurs like me will fade away but in the meantime I can't forget.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I'm surprised they're not getting more stick for their uncharacteristic vote management.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Spot on Mervyn. 20 years ago when SF candidates primary message was about Nordland and the memory of the violence was vivid SF couldn't get a vote outside of the green headed nationalist brigade. Now they are a party who are talking about issues that people really care about and have a lot of people with no ties to the past. They have become an option for the middle income demographic.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Can't believe they are polling so well.

Regardless of their baggage - their policies are costed via way of the magic money tree.

In the north, that kinda works by blackmailing London all the time. In the south, that won't fly with Angela Merkel.

It just highlights to me one thing - the electorate are so f**king stupid - they never stop to think "aye, that's all great, but how are you paying for all these promises?"

Not that FF or FG have done anything brilliant to warrant them being left in charge either.

-----------------------------------------------

Probably one of the biggest obstacles to a United Ireland right now is Sinn Fein and their approach to it. Even on the rarest of occasions, when they are reasonable, whatever a party so closely linked with the PIRA is saying, is always going to be untenable to many unionists - just as the DUPs links to the UDA are extremely distasteful to a lot of nationalists.

If the political party of fuel smugglers and the political wing of the old testament just went away never to be seen again, we'd all be a lot better off.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:16 pm I'm surprised they're not getting more stick for their uncharacteristic vote management.
Thing is they were wolfed at the last local elections. I don't think anybody saw this coming, even SF themselves. For example in Clare which never votes SF they dropped a last minute unknown candidate onto the ballot sheet and she topped the fecking poll. Incredible stuff really.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Amiga500 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm Can't believe they are polling so well.

Regardless of their baggage - their policies are costed via way of the magic money tree.

In the north, that kinda works by blackmailing London all the time. In the south, that won't fly with Angela Merkel.

It just highlights to me one thing - the electorate are so f**king stupid - they never stop to think "aye, that's all great, but how are you paying for all these promises?"

On economics alone a vote for SF is no more stupid, and probably less stupid, than a vote for FF which destroyed the economy less than 15 years ago and whose leader was a senior minister in that corrupt govt.

Electorate in all countries are a bit stupid though. If they weren't representative democracy could not function.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Shan wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:46 pm On economics alone a vote for SF is no more stupid, and probably less stupid, than a vote for FF which destroyed the economy less than 15 years ago and whose leader was a senior minister in that corrupt govt.
True true, FF really sh|t the bed back then and Bertie was far too f**king cute for his own good.

Still - I think Sinn Fein are a crowd that are set up to hurl from the ditch rather than actually ever puck a sliothar in anger.
Shan wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:46 pm Electorate in all countries are a bit stupid though. If they weren't representative democracy could not function.
It'd be fascinating to watch an election where the electorate could instantly know when a politician was lying and by how much.

Will never happen - unless I suppose every interview was done on a truth detector!
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Absolutely Amiga. I think SF were planning to be a strong opposition party but they can't afford to ignore the electorate now. Folk want a change of government. They didn't vote for the 'left' just so they could sit on the oppo benches and whinge away for the next few years.

However there is no doubt that going into power is risky for any party who don't have a historical record of successful elections.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Uh oh one of the shinner TD's is caught on video saying "Up the Ra" in a pub in Waterford after his election victory. Dublin Media will absolutely love this but it is hard to get away from the fact it is seriously dumb.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Not all young misguided and forgetful innocents then?!