Ospreys v Ulster Sat Feb 15

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ospreys v Ulster Sat Feb 15

Post by UlsterNo9 »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:39 pm His action was permissible under law 13 -1 (b and c )-- he went to ground to gather the ball. he was not tackled nobody had been tackled and the ball was loose.-- he went to ground gathered and played the ball all permissible under Law 13 -1 (b and c) clause 13-1 (a) includes the very important word --- Or -- or b or c.he doesn't have to get up with the ball.
:duh: :duh:

You'll never get it.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

FFS Rum its was a penalty, a dumb ass one at that, all day long. You cannot seriously argue that he went to ground to gather the ball when, having watched the replay several times, he clearly falls backwards on top the the Osprey then proceeds to turn and try to pick up the ball.

Quite possibly the most stupid penalty a professional ( supposedly) player could commit.
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

You miss the point -- it was loose ball -- he is therefore entitled to play it regardless of how he fell --

law 13 does not define how the player must go to ground to try to gather the loose ball - only that he plays it.

Of course as you have noted he fell backwards onto the Ospreys player -- a better and safer call might have been playing the man without the ball --except both were going for the same loose ball -- had the Ospreys player gather the ball and played it would he have given the penalty --???

Any player on the pitch be standing up or lying on the ground can lift and play a loose ball -- the player on the ground cannot kick it or stuff it up his jumper making it unplayable norcan he tackle or hold an opponent while on the ground but he can play a loose ball -- how often have you seen a forward dive on a loose ball and then play it back into a forming ruck .

he was unfortunate to do it before a whistle happy homer
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Thought is was a clear penalty myself Rum, no complaints from here, was a stupid decision by Shanahan
ScottishBrian
Novice

Post by ScottishBrian »

i agree with Rum, it was open play. There was no tackle
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I'll be honest here when the penalty was given I wasn't surprised -- it was only after I watched it again -- I realised he was actually able to play the ball -- the deceiving factors are the way he went to ground and the fact that he failed to immediately gather the ball -- the time delay makes you think he couldn't play it.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

While I disagree with Rum about the ruck/maul. The open play bit is what I meant. If he falls he is allowed to gather the ball in open play. (players do it all the time chasing back into their own 22, for example). There is an argumentent that he fell, landed on the Os player, and continued to recover the ball. If he falls he needs to get back on his feet, but he is not prohibited in playing the ball in the process.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

BR the only players who can play the ball in a ruck -is the person who is tackled and those on their feet -- the tackler must release the ball carrier and be on his feet to play the ball. The question for me watching the game was was the Ospreys player in possession of the ball when Davy fell on top of him if so had a ruck formed.. Davy being the tackler by accident not intention.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:11 pm BR the only players who can play the ball in a ruck -is the person who is tackled and those on their feet -- the tackler must release the ball carrier and be on his feet to play the ball. The question for me watching the game was was the Ospreys player in possession of the ball when Davy fell on top of him if so had a ruck formed.. Davy being the tackler by accident not intention.

Doesn't have to be a ruck, though. Can't be off your feet at a tackle either.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The question was ---- was the Ospreys player in possession of the ball when Davy fell on him---- and does loosing your footing and falling backwards constitute a tackle ie had the Ospreys player been tackled or had he too lost his footing.

See Post 9-16 basically it wasn't a penalty but I can understand why the penalty was given.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

So why bring rucks into the discussion?

It was clearly open play - not even a tackle.

The question imho was - Did DS gather the ball immediately. On the replay, it looks like it is only his entanglement with the Os player which slows his progress and makes it apear less immediate.
www.stoutboys.co.uk