6N 2020

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: 6N 2020

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dublin4 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:46 am The authorities down here made a complete ballix of the "decision" to call off the Italy match yesterday.
The Chief Medical Oflicer of the Department of Health announced it and the Minister went on tea time news to the same effect without anyone telling the IRFU. Nobody thought through if this applied to other 6N games or even the France v Ireland game the following week? Nobody thought through did this apply to the u20s or the women?
Nobody thought through - could you play it behind closed doors just on telly?
What a screw up.
Meanwhile 11 flights from Italy arrive in Dublin Airport today. Cead mile failte.
Typical Ireland
Knee jerk reaction followed by a trip round town on a bandwagon.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

The Minister is reported to be rowing back and talking about the game now being played behind closed doors.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

So the match is off. IRFU don't want to upset the Irish Govt.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Was just wondering how much this is actually going to achieve. There are no travel restrictions imposed from Italy yet and assuming that doesn't change how many of the Italian fans who likely already have their flights and accommodation paid for aren't now going to travel? Personally if i'd already paid €500 for a trip to see the return fixture I'd still be trying to make the most of a weekend in Rome if the game was cancelled.

I can see how cancelling local games, like they've done in Italy, could help as people just won't go, but when people have had trips planned for months I can't see that being the case.

On a more serious note, some back of a fag packet maths suggests to me the game is worth around €4 million to the IRFU (50k seats at an average of €80 a ticket), which would translate to a fairly significant financial hit if a cancellation isn't covered by insurance in some way shape or form.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

At least as much as knocking the Ulster game on the head i suppose.

Not sure how many of us were supposed to be going - 200 including the players and press ??

It looks like the vast majority won't now be travelling.
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

The difference in the 2 scenarios is the Italians would be traveling to a country which is currently free of the virus vs Ulster supporters would be traveling to a region where the virus exists and there is the possibility of infection!
Finished
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Which is worse?

If the Italians coming over for the match don’t have it, then they’re safer in Ireland than they would be at home.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Have thought about it a bit more and think the decision was a bit of a joke. If it's not safe for Italians to come here put a travel ban in place, if it is let the match happen. This is the worst of both worlds, no rugby and 5000 Italians who'll probably spend a weekend in Dublin anyway. Done in a bit of a ham fisted way too. Reckon the health minister just fancied getting his mug on TV before there's another election down there.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I agree. Ham fisted.
Better decision would have been to play behind closed doors and avoid the "mass gathering" of people that worried the authorities.
Now there is no alternative date available.
I wonder how much of this is tied in possible insurance claims. The IRFU wanted a "directive" that they could not play. I fancy this was to trigger a claim.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

If the spread of the virus and the reaction to same gather apace I can foresee the rest of the 19/20 season in Europe being totally scrapped.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

So Billy not back with England due to the virus yet training with Saracens... doesn’t make sense. Unless there is a travel ban there seems little point calling off the game.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cockatrice wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:17 am So Billy not back with England due to the virus yet training with Saracens... doesn’t make sense. Unless there is a travel ban there seems little point calling off the game.
Alliance Park is a good place to self isolate.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:05 pm
Cockatrice wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:17 am So Billy not back with England due to the virus yet training with Saracens... doesn’t make sense. Unless there is a travel ban there seems little point calling off the game.
Billy has a broken arm. Mako is the one in quarantine.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:46 pm [quote="big mervyn" post_id=692592 time=<a href="tel:1583327122">1583327122</a> user_id=976]
[quote=Cockatrice post_id=692588 time=<a href="tel:1583309855">1583309855</a> user_id=13]
So Billy not back with England due to the virus yet training with Saracens... doesn’t make sense. Unless there is a travel ban there seems little point calling off the game.
[/quote]

Billy has a broken arm. Mako is the one in quarantine.
[/quote]

They all look the same 🥴
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Parisse is going to have carry on forever at this rate.