Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Post by Jackie Brown »

Only 4 new cases in China yesterday. Seems this lock down phase is the way to knock this on the head. Contain it then mop up any pockets that might spring up
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Yeah agree Jackie but it is going to be a mighty pain in the ballix. Of course a pain in the ballix is preferable to mass infection.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Hope it is that simple, but doubt it.
I suspect it'll be back next winter.
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

Shan wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:07 pm Even the RCC has cancelled services for the next few weeks. Tis something when even God himself can't protect folk in "his house". :D
Mosques have followed suit; but Allah still remains very angry at almost everything :D
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Total lockdown in Espana from Mon. Only allowed out of the house for food and medicines, to go to the bank or to go to work.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

That should be the story across Europe
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Irish Govt enacting legislation to detain anyone who has the virus that refuses to self isolate. Normally I wouldn't be in favour of the state having that type of power but in this case I agree with this.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Shan wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:46 pm Irish Govt enacting legislation to detain anyone who has the virus that refuses to self isolate. Normally I wouldn't be in favour of the state having that type of power but in this case I agree with this.
Those people would be the tip of a very large iceberg, The estimate for those who have tested +ve may be only 5-10% of the total infected population. The majority of the other 90% may well be showing mild or no symptons but capable of spreading the virus. As a result Italy, Spain, and now France are in total lockdown. Believe me,Boris's latest "Draconian measures" pale into insignificance compared with what's happening here. It's absolutely surreal. If you venture out ( on your own, even in the car - €600 fine if you're accompanied) for provisions it's like the fillum "I Am Legend".

Catching a "rescue flight" home on Thu. Might not be able to after that.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I came home from Spain yesterday. The airport reminded me of the clambering on the last helicopter leaving Saigon in April 1975,

On Sunday and Monday, in Marbella, we had experience of being sent home by the police because we were only out for a local walk. Cyclists were being fined on the spot. If you were going to the supermarket you had to prove it.
Only one person could go at a time and you had to have a reason to have a second person in a car.

I got home and found crowds out in the local park albeit they were not close and people were trying to keep a distance. We have seen nothing yet.
It's going to get very boring and constraining. But there is no alternative. IMO, rugby is gone until next season.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

It's the most Draconian measures in Europe D4, and is basically house arrest for 44 million people. Following her temporary release, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is allowed to move within 300m of her parents house and actually has a degree of freedom which is more than the average Spaniard at the moment.
Big Neville Southall
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:10 pm Only 4 new cases in China yesterday. Seems this lock down phase is the way to knock this on the head. Contain it then mop up any pockets that might spring up
Yep.

Now just imagine if our governments had got their feck useless asses into gear and quarantined anyone coming in from any country with the infection in January. Don't care if you have no symptoms, 4 weeks in isolation for you and the police can do you if you break it.

A fraction of the population would have been inconvenienced for 3-4 weeks.

The full internal economy could have continued relatively unabated.

The politicians and the brain dead "experts" that have advised them have really, really feck screwed up.

(and no, this is not speaking with benefit of hindsight - I was predicting it elsewhere at the time)
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Amiga500 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:45 pm
Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:10 pm Only 4 new cases in China yesterday. Seems this lock down phase is the way to knock this on the head. Contain it then mop up any pockets that might spring up
Yep.

Now just imagine if our governments had got their feck useless asses into gear and quarantined anyone coming in from any country with the infection in January. Don't care if you have no symptoms, 4 weeks in isolation for you and the police can do you if you break it.

A fraction of the population would have been inconvenienced for 3-4 weeks.

The full internal economy could have continued relatively unabated.

The politicians and the brain dead "experts" that have advised them have really, really feck screwed up.

(and no, this is not speaking with benefit of hindsight - I was predicting it elsewhere at the time)
It won't be beaten that easily unfortunately my Amiga, if you lock down society to beat the epidemic, and succeed in drastically slowing new infections, but then go back to what you were doing before, the epidemic can just come raging back. In that scenario, society would remain full of people without antibodies who remain vulnerable to COVID-19, and they would be engaging in the social contacts that allowed the virus to spread so rapidly in the first place. That beating this epidemic will not be a one-and-done thing is an important realization.

If locking ourselves up for 4 weeks is how we could wipe out viruses, the world would quite happily have locked itself up 100s of years ago to wipe out viruses that are passed on through human interaction.

There is a misconception that any COVID-19 vaccine ready in 12-18 months time will make everyone immune, there is no vaccine that has a 100% success rate, a decent vaccine hits the 50 / 60% success mark. Bear in mind COVID-19 already has more than one strain, it will continue to mutate.

That's my take.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Nobody has tested positive in the past 24 hrs in Alicante province so looks like it's having some effect.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

No9
The success or failure of a vaccine depends upon the ability of the virus to transmute so far covid-19 seems to have lacked this ability. It is the ability of the flu virus to transform from year to year makes it harder to create a 100 % sure vaccine. But diseases like Polio, Smallpox etc have been reduced very successfully by vaccines.

The white man killed more indigenous peoples with diseases than with bullets .

The most worrying thing about Covid-19 is the ease it has in spreading and "the medical race " is to find a vaccine before it gains the ability to transmute. For most the disease in its current form seems to mild but appears to have an ability to take a second more serious bite progress to an attack on the lungs of those who have a weak immune system .
Last edited by rumncoke on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist