Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Post by rumncoke »

Hope the government will give assistance with the telephone bills -- the wife is on the phone for hours with all her friends and family.

Tescos last Monday was scary the queue for the till nearly started at the door.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

Tender

All the best for a speedy recovery.
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:26 am Hope the government will give assistance with the telephone bills -- the wife is on the phone for hours with all her friends and family.

Probably just doing everything she can to avoid having to talk to you. To be honest your wife should already be a long term recipient of a government grant for having to put up with you Rum. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Just watching BBC reporting on the awfulness of making decisions about who receives intensive care treatment and who doesn't. Choosing between a physically disabled child, a learning disabled teenager, a middle aged man with a relatively treatable cancer, etc, etc. Dreadful choices to make. If you know any medics, send them a wee word of encouragement. I'm also praying for them... we ll do what we can.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Well said. And we need to accept now that some mistakes and misjudgements will happen. There needs to be some form of emergency legislation which protects nhs workers during this exceptional period from the litigious pack of w@@@@rs we have in Northern Ireland masquerading as the legal " procession"
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

She is Shan -- and its mutual --- it could be 10 or 12 weeks before anyone finds out we've killed each other !!!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The lockdown is a deal softer than the Spanish one where you are not allowed out for a walk except to exercise a dog within 100m of your house; where only one member of a household is allowed out, even in a car; where the list of essential shops is more restrictive - no hardware stores for example; and where fines start at €600 compared with £30 here.

There are still opportunities for ballbegs to abuse this. What is to prevent 100s of family groups all heading off to the same beach or park for their daily "exercise" again this w/e. I wouldn't be surprised if these measures have to be further tightened.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

GB is not NI and while we have a problem -- with the greedy -- over purchasing -- some have avoided crowds -- personally I think the supermarkets failed to control the situation in the first week -- they should have limited the number in the shop at any one time and filtered people in -- and opened longer 24 hours and provided sanitizers and 100 proof mouth wash ( one sip only ) at the door going in.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

So ... Hastings reemployed staff after the govt underwrote 80% of their wages. Tim Martin basically told his employees to feck off and work for Tescos.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

And as for the wee blurts that burned two Iceland delivery vans in Bristol. :banghead: :banghead:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I see the Lt. Governor of Texas has said "older people would rather die than let COVID-19 affect the US Economy"

I wonder if they took a poll of the folk 70 years and over would they vote in favour of removing restrictions and agreeing to dying at home if they got infected so as not to clog up the health system.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Also I see that Prince Charles has tested positive. I wonder who will tie his shoelaces, comb his hair and brush his teeth while he is in isolation. :D
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I further see that there are some real gowls about the place - Two people arrested by Gardai for coughing at them. How sad.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Kingspan telling employees they're getting a 40% paycut. Surely they'd be better taking advantage of the government's 80% pay and furlong their Northern Staff?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Jackie Brown wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:17 am Kingspan telling employees they're getting a 40% paycut. Surely they'd be better taking advantage of the government's 80% pay and furlong their Northern Staff?
They wouldn't get a full weeks workfor 60% pay then ...
Big Neville Southall