Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Post by rumncoke »

Not Plastic spoon-- more nickel plated silver.

My father was the sort who never gave money -- you had to ask for it -- and be ready to answer --what for ?

So what's posh ?

A rich man is one who has never known the FEAR of HUNGER -- and to that extent I have been rich-- but have in my lifetime experienced the fear of debt, but not the shame .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Think about this; not as simple as it appears. Now that we have time during this shutdown of all things rugby. This could actually solve a long-term problem in Irish rugby. Although anyone could list 70+ top Irish professional rugby players listing four perfectly good fifteens plus a few reserves no coach or coaches have ever felt able or willing to select based on form. The overriding reason is we do not select from the seventy+ players but from the players who are on an IRFU contract. This halves the number available for selection. Examples would be Cooney, Carty, Beirne, Moore, Buckley. These players had to work at getting to the fringe of the squad before even being eligible. Also explains why young backs (forwards develop slower) rarely get promoted at an early age. We have had some superb U20s in the last ten years and only recently started to take them to national training squads.

Now I am very much a Union man and support the Unions over the clubs but perhaps the Covid19 outbreak and the shortened season allows for a bit of quer thinking outside the box. What do you think?

That is the problem and I do not have the answer.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:44 am
mid ulster maestro wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 am
justinr73 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:57 am Boarding school?

Are you posh, Rum?
It was the Bad Boys Boarding School at Hydebank.
It used to be in Millisle back in the day MUM. My Ma used to threaten to leave me in it if I was bad! Parenting in the 60s eh? :lol:
Anybody know what they've done with that site in Millisle? Great building and fantastic location.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

I believe it is still used by the prison service for training. Could be wrong though.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Setenta--

Coaches pick teams from players who they trust , firstly they know the role the coach wants them to play secondly they have experience of the game at International level -- form is fickle and many players can't adapt to the game at International level . A player can look extremely good at club level where he maybe that fraction faster than the players he has to play against but when he moves to the next level where that fraction no longer applies loses that sparkle and lacks the experience to avoid any errors.

Secondly every International squad has a Key or a couple of Key players who ,while they and the coach, would both deny that their input is such that they select the team their views and input maybe the deciding factor.

for example at this moment I would be of the opinion that Sexton's selection is the deciding factor between Murray and Cooney , neither being considered individually but as a combination. Combinations in many cases maybe the most important and deciding factor in many cases. Coaches pick TEAMS not players -- a committee picks players and frequently they seldom gel to become a team but remain a group of talented individuals-- good on paper but that lack of experience of togetherness breeds match losing errors.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

1. Setanta or Cuchullain if you find that easier to spell 2. You have not answered my question or my point. As for your own that is and has been clear for some time.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

setanta

Thus my boy if that be so what you wish us to select are the who we consider the best four players in each position and not actually a team because team selection would have to reflect combinations.

You then if you spread the selection over the Professional period find that some good players could well be omitted and then there are those players who in their era were basically a 23 selection and not 15 .You also hit, if you restrict your selection the problem of longevity in certain positions --Like BoD --PoC --STRINGER AND ROG. when trying to pick 4 players.

But go ahead start the ball rolling.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

What I actually want are suggestions as to how we can allow the coach or coaches to select on form from 75 possibilities rather than 35 possibilities as at present. If my English was so poor as to suggest something else I most humbly apologise!
Tighthead Prod
Novice

Post by Tighthead Prod »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:44 am
mid ulster maestro wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 am
justinr73 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:57 am Boarding school?

Are you posh, Rum?
It was the Bad Boys Boarding School at Hydebank.
It used to be in Millisle back in the day MUM. My Ma used to threaten to leave me in it if I was bad! Parenting in the 60s eh? :lol:
+1

I too used to get the same homily from my mum when down that direction on a 'day out', usually over Easter. Then down for lovely Italian ice cream in Millisle or Ballywalter??

I actually was admitted to the 'Borstal' on a couple of ocassions...in a professional capacity when it was the Juvenile Justice Centre prior to its move to Hydebank.
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Setanta wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:45 pm What I actually want are suggestions as to how we can allow the coach or coaches to select on form from 75 possibilities rather than 35 possibilities as at present. If my English was so poor as to suggest something else I most humbly apologise!
Your excellent English is only outranked by your exquisite patience , restraint and politeness!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:29 pm I believe it is still used by the prison service for training. Could be wrong though.
Think the training facility closed years ago, and the site was for sale. Cant confirm if it was actually sold.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

There are those here who appear to know more about the past of some Institution in Millisle than I do but Millisle also had a farm at one time and I have no links to it either.

But I could be playing with you in my answer.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The prototype Dyson ventilator has been tested on a Covid19 patient ...and he's picking up nicely!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall