Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Coronavirus 2020 - What can I do?

Post by Shan »

Setanta wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:52 am Think about this; not as simple as it appears. Now that we have time during this shutdown of all things rugby. This could actually solve a long-term problem in Irish rugby. Although anyone could list 70+ top Irish professional rugby players listing four perfectly good fifteens plus a few reserves no coach or coaches have ever felt able or willing to select based on form. The overriding reason is we do not select from the seventy+ players but from the players who are on an IRFU contract. This halves the number available for selection. Examples would be Cooney, Carty, Beirne, Moore, Buckley. These players had to work at getting to the fringe of the squad before even being eligible. Also explains why young backs (forwards develop slower) rarely get promoted at an early age. We have had some superb U20s in the last ten years and only recently started to take them to national training squads.

Now I am very much a Union man and support the Unions over the clubs but perhaps the Covid19 outbreak and the shortened season allows for a bit of quer thinking outside the box. What do you think?

That is the problem and I do not have the answer.
Assuming the premise is correct -

This is a difficult one. The IRFU don't want to devolve control to the provinces. That seems the major problem point. If they could get around this it would then be up to the provinces to protect what they see as their most valuable players from unwanted external interest. Do the provinces and Ireland have the same objectives?

Of course the premise may not be correct -

We do know, as much as we can at any rate, that there are some folk who are almost always in form but who will never, and should never, be selected in an Ireland squad due to not being good enough.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Not to sure who you consider to be "in form " but not good enough for Ireland -- yes there are those who are not good enough but the fact is they being not good enough seldom rise to the level to be considered "in form" as in winning MOTM status more then once a season (if that).

Some who are good enough and in form frequently meet the wall of the conservative coach and the "team" factor.

Then there are the players like Toner who get selected not because they are better players or in form but because they bring a certain needed X factor .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Well the only solution I have heard so far is from Nucifora himself who introduced the halfdozen young lads to join the training squads. I think it is a bigger problem than that but other than reintroducing possibles/probables matches again I have not come up with anything.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Any word of our good friend Baggy in Spain? How is he managing?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Tell me this ugly face of capitalism isn't true: https://theintercept.com/2020/04/01/phi ... -freedman/ . How can anyone be so shameless. And as for our footballing friends on £50 grand plus per week getting full wages while low paid workers are laid off. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Jetstream wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:58 am Any word of our good friend Baggy in Spain? How is he managing?
Other than they had to stockpile toilet rolls to handle the amount of s##t that streamed from his mouth?
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

I have been watching the american response to covid 19 on you chube and was shocked to discover that the ventilator manufacturers/suppliers are supplying equipment to the states which bid the highest for this life saving gear. Gov Cuomo of New York said it was like buying on ebay. As you say solids, capatalism in action.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Jetstream wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:58 am Any word of our good friend Baggy in Spain? How is he managing?
"Bored stupid in lockdown, otherwise as fit as a robber's dog!!"
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

fermain wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:09 pm
Interestingly the Region where he resides has the lowest incidence of Covid in mainland Spain.

https://covid19.isciii.es/

The virus is self-isolating from Baggy!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Norn Irn to use MOT centres to "ramp up" the tests.

Hmmm ... 😷😅
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:22 pm
fermain wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:09 pm
Interestingly the Region where he resides has the lowest incidence of Covid in mainland Spain.

https://covid19.isciii.es/

The virus is self-isolating from Baggy!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Could somebody somewhere please show me an example of Michelle O'Neill making a positive contribution to the situation. All she seems to do is criticise and draw attention to problems that everybody knows about and that just don't have straightforward quick solutions.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

On the positive side, hats off to Claire McLaughlin. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52137849 A rugby player of the old school (JPR Williams, Dr Dave etc). >appl >appl >appl
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:37 pm Could somebody somewhere please show me an example of Michelle O'Neill making a positive contribution to the situation. All she seems to do is criticise and draw attention to problems that everybody knows about and that just don't have straightforward quick solutions.
She's been a disgrace. She has been dropped in it by Conor Murphy the day mind 😅
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

... and we still don't know where to stand on carpets!

Biggest prob faced by the City, sorry "Nightingale" hospital, is trying to stop the Westie Covid patients going out for a smoke 😷
Big Neville Southall