Cricket season

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Cricket season

Post by big mervyn »

I don't normally have much truck with limited overs cricket but yesterday was a tremendous result for Ireland. England even had to rely on their Irish skipper for a score. Have to say, the Morgan situation really doesn't sit well these days.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

Good pub quiz question for the future - In which one day international did 3 Irish players score centuries.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cracking match.

Where’s best for me to watch some cricket in the Belfast area?

Slight chance I may come out of retirement too.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

Playing ? Start here: https://www.cricketireland.ie/get-invol ... arest-club (Northern is what you want)

Watching club cricket: lovely 'traditional English look' set-up at Downpatrick CC. No doubt City of Belfast grounds at Mallusk are a little less temperate - I would go equipped as though it was Portstewart Strand myself.

And do watch Ireland at Stormont - like festival cricket at Cheltenham College but without the stands and they do provide the chairs. Not done Bready CC but was on the list. With the World Cricket League now up and running (is the qualfication mechanism for the CWC 2023 in India since only the hosts qualify automatically), there'll be some decent teams turning up in Ireland. Do hope they re-schedule the NZ matches for another hot spell...

Mind you, Malahide not bad, but just hard to get to without driving (altough rather defeats one of the points of watching cricket if that's what you have to do).
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Thanks.

I’d never drive to the cricket. Without staying over anyway!

Not sure if I dare play again. Got a picture of me being chaired off the pitch two years ago which I’ll get framed.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Tease!
You must post a link.
When I tried to go back I found that someone had lowered the ground to about 9 inches below my ankles. Every ball hit towards me in the field somehow went under my hands.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

Or perhaps as you're no longer crouching over the bat for those daddy hundreds you've regained your normal upright stance and your hands are now 9" further away from your feet... ?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

>fiddle :lol:
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I could still get to anything in the field that’s catchable.

And I’d catch it.

I long since gave up on the rest!

I can still hear and feel the twang of my Achilles though!

I miss being the skipper and, much more so, the challenge of bowling at the death.

Give me ten decent fielders and I’d back myself to defend six runs in the last over.

Sadly, we often were a man or two short and some of the rest didn’t know their cover points from their own Brennan holes.

Career highlight, such as it was, was probably playing in the same team as Gatt in the Hua Hin 6s and bowling Kenny Jackson (Google him) whilst I was still somewhat jaded from the night before.....
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:29 am I could still get to anything in the field that’s catchable.

And I’d catch it.

I long since gave up on the rest!

I can still hear and feel the twang of my Achilles though!

I miss being the skipper and, much more so, the challenge of bowling at the death.

Give me ten decent fielders and I’d back myself to defend six runs in the last over.

Sadly, we often were a man or two short and some of the rest didn’t know their cover points from their own Brennan holes.

Career highlight, such as it was, was probably playing in the same team as Gatt in the Hua Hin 6s and bowling Kenny Jackson (Google him) whilst I was still somewhat jaded from the night before.....
Baggy's Da bowled Hedley Verity!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Not content with taking nearly 2000 first class wickets at under 15 runs each, HV could actually bat a bit too!

Sadly killed in WW2 of course.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Ha!
I captained my P7 class to victory in the inter-class cricket competition in 1966.
Beat that!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Good effort Skip.

And well done to England today. Enjoyed watching that in the ninety degree heat today,
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:29 pm Ha!
I captained my P7 class to victory in the inter-class cricket competition in 1966.
Beat that!
Slightly off topic, but I did the 60 yard dash/ egg and spoon double at P7 sports day in 1975. Highlight of my athletics career 😅
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cracking knock by Crawley today.

He looked ‘to the manor born’.

On that showing, we could be seeing a lot of him and Pope in the next ten years.