Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by therealspratt »

I this portrayal of Marshall's flaws as solely coming from his tendancy to go off script, and not that he was a generally not great player with poor decision making, a not great pass and a lacklustre kicking game.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Marshall was a very reasonable scrum half but average pro 14 -- Ruan was well above average if not excellent -- Marshall actually played to script 95% of the time but had brainfarts and got isolated at times.

He suffered being an understudy to a class act.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Tend to agree with therealspratt, Marshall's pass was generally weak and inaccurate from memory, decent player with great heart but you would hope there are at least 5 better scrum halves in Ireland at any one time.
Blackskulllad
Novice

Post by Blackskulllad »

Human memory has been proven to be unreliable.

You can watch old games and see that the wee no 9 wasn't as bad as you remember.

He paled to the worshipped one, but is certainly better than any back nine we have.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Have to agree with the lad. I always liked Marshall. Of course he wasn't perfect and he was always going to pale beside Ruan. But he always turned up and did a decent job.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

solidarity wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:12 pm Have to agree with the lad. I always liked Marshall. Of course he wasn't perfect and he was always going to pale beside Ruan. But he always turned up and did a decent job.
No, he didn't. Bordeaux away. He had some.decent moments but he was never good enough against decent opposition.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Leicester at home HEC - when he put a knife in their broken hearts with his cheeky tap n go try?
Hope is not a strategy.
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:58 am Leicester at home HEC - when he put a knife in their broken hearts with his cheeky bonus-point-winning tap n go try?
You forgot three words. :roll:

Yer welcome ;)
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

I see John McKee officially inducted into the d4 academy proper today. Hopefully not one that got away.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

thecrouch wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:30 am I see John McKee officially inducted into the d4 academy proper today. Hopefully not one that got away.
Thought he played very well in U20s 6 Nations, very good game against England.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Alister Scott wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:37 am
Hans Indaruck wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:58 am Leicester at home HEC - when he put a knife in their broken hearts with his cheeky bonus-point-winning tap n go try?
You forgot three words. :roll:

Yer welcome ;)
Indeed! GMA! Sweet memories nonetheless - Ben Young’s tears, the crowd singing a lovely rendition of Swing Low (mixed with Cheerio Sweet Chariot) - aye them were the days!
Hope is not a strategy.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

thecrouch wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:30 am I see John McKee officially inducted into the d4 academy proper today. Hopefully not one that got away.
Why exactly did he choose not to go to his native province and why are the IRFU letting him considering the dearth of local front row options Ulster have produced and the abundance coming out of D4???
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dealt with on this very thread some time ago.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Any word on where Nathan Doak is playing for Ulster in preseason, 9 or 10?

I noticed in pictures that Conor McMenamin is training with seniors.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Bayern wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:11 am Any word on where Nathan Doak is playing for Ulster in preseason, 9 or 10?

I noticed in pictures that Conor McMenamin is training with seniors.
No idea. but Lewis Finlay was also training with the seniors, Azur Alison, McCann [who looks massive], Tom Stewart, Hayden Hyde and Ethan McIlroy where all training with the seniors.No sign of Aaron Sexton or Callum Reid yet either..you'd imagine with the number of games and internationals some of those lads will get gamine this year. With Baloucoune out McIlroy might get a few more chances..

McMenamin is a big lad - as big as Treadwell - any idea what he's like ability wise?