Semi Final Edinburgh v Ulster Sat Sep 5 7:35pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Semi Final Edinburgh v Ulster Sat Sep 5 7:35pm

Post by big mervyn »

Interesting to compare the team from the last 22-19 sf win v Embra. Only Gilroy remains and he didn't feature last night.

Ulster: Stefan Terblanche; Andrew Trimble, Darren Cave, Paddy Wallace, Craig Gilroy; Paddy Jackson, Ruan Pienaar; Tom Court, Rory Best, Declan Fitzpatrick; Johann Muller (captain), Dan Tuohy; Stephen Ferris, Willie Faloon, Pedrie Wannenburg.

Replacements: Paddy McAllister for Court 77, Adam Macklin for Fitzpatrick 65, Lewis Stevenson for Ferris 77, Robbie Diack for Faloon 73.

Not used: Nigel Brady, Paul Marshall, Ian Humphreys, Adam D'Arcy
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

Having a bench with finishers in clutch situations is the major difference in the squad. We arguably had a better starting XV in those days but absolute dogshit on the bench.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Big call......

Does Alby start next Saturday with Cooney on the bench?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:27 pm Big call......

Cooney starts for me.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:27 pm Big call......

If he worked off the bench then we may as well roll them dice again. Cooney to start if fit.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Does Stockdale start on the wing with Lowry at 15?
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

damianmcr wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:58 pm Does Stockdale start on the wing with Lowry at 15?
I would have Lowry in. Ludik has never let us down but over past few weeks he hasn’t shown much in terms of a spark in attack and for a game liked this I’d rather have the attacking intent of Stockdale, Lyttle and Lowry. Dan McF may have Ludik on for the defensive solidity he brings but Lowry didn’t let us down in QF against Leinster last year.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Be tempted to start wee mike at 15. He was there at the qf last year in the aviva. I think unfortunately father time has caught up with Louis's legs and he could go fairly soon a la trimble. Its sad, as he was probably out best outside defensive back for many a year. The game we are trying to play needs speed as we don't have the horses to go through teams. Give me a back 3 who can beat the first defender anytime over 2 plus a solid tackler. Stockdale at 15 may be beyond Dan's call though.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Good job Stockdale was on the wing for Alby’s box kick at the death.

He should stay there.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

As above, wee Mike trampled over for Edinburgh third try. Guts do not change the laws off physics
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

Billy was trampled on by all 87kg of his opposite number. Stockdale was practically waving them through at times. The heroics at the end glosses over some woeful defending.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Bobbievee wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:24 pm As above, wee Mike trampled over for Edinburgh third try. Guts do not change the laws off physics
Aye but I'd be of the Kevin Keegan approach to matches- as long as we score more than them im happy- and Lowry at 15 gives us another playmaker in the backs and helped sharpen up our attack.
DWFinn
Novice

Post by DWFinn »

Silverstu wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:41 pm
Bobbievee wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:24 pm As above, wee Mike trampled over for Edinburgh third try. Guts do not change the laws off physics
Aye but I'd be of the Kevin Keegan approach to matches- as long as we score more than them im happy- and Lowry at 15 gives us another playmaker in the backs and helped sharpen up our attack.
Also Hamish Watson is an outstanding ball-carrier and runs over far bigger players in Test matches.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Great win for Ulster and even better because it looked unlikely through much of the game.

Madigan showing his balls of steel. Happy for him to be able to show again his high class kicking under pressure. I'd say he'd love a chance to do something similar in the final.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:14 am Agreed Rum. I don't think overtime is appropriate in a sport where most of the players will have emptied the tank after 80 mins, especially when they are expected to play again within a week. Should go straight to kicks on the rare occassions when these games are tied.
Point proved in the Bristol/Beagles PP semi. The result in ET was heavily influenced by Bordeaux's injury count.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall