Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by kingofthehill »

Silverstu wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:30 pm
kingofthehill wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:10 pm
Bayern wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:49 pm
Jackie Brown wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:27 pm Bruce Houston is a big fella. How many of these guys will make the grade?
at least half.
Good to see Sexton giving up on the 7s circuit.
Sexton back with Ulster then? Would be good to see him and McIlroy break though this year with Balacoune being out and Gilroy being off form..

Still think Finlay could be useful but I'll not argue with you on it..
I hope I’m wrong regarding Finlay but I just don’t see it. People saw Stewart as the next big thing and it only took a few years of senior rugby to show that was a lot of nonsense.

Sexton is playing for Malone.
I think McIlroy is a cracker,really hope to see him get a chance when pro14 starts again.

Mccann will be the break through player this year.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

With all these wingers coming through, is Gilroy in danger of his contract not being renewed when its up? He hasn't been in great form for quite some time.
Would be great to see McCann given a chance and eased into the squad with some consistent playing time.
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

kingofthehill wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:38 pm
Jackie Brown wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:27 pm Bruce Houston is a big fella. How many of these guys will make the grade?
at least half.
Sexton back with Ulster then? Would be good to see him and McIlroy break though this year with Balacoune being out and Gilroy being off form..

I hope I’m wrong regarding Finlay but I just don’t see it. People saw Stewart as the next big thing and it only took a few years of senior rugby to show that was a lot of nonsense.

I think McIlroy is a cracker,really hope to see him get a chance when pro14 starts again.

Finlay was excellent for the under 20s in the Six Nations. The performance against England was one of the best I have seen from an under 20s side.

Finlay and Hyde definitely showed their potential in that game. So fingers crossed you are mistaken about the both of them!
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Kanbei wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:07 pm

at least half.

Finlay was excellent for the under 20s in the Six Nations. The performance against England was one of the best I have seen from an under 20s side.

Finlay and Hyde definitely showed their potential in that game. So fingers crossed you are mistaken about the both of them!
I reckon they will both end up playing for Jersey in a couple of years but happy to be proven wrong.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

at least half.

Yeah I know were you are coming from in regards to Finlay..

Great to hear Sexton is back and I agree McIlroy looks excellent- game breaker. That could be some set of wingers/back three with Balacoune, McIlroy and Sexton as well as Lyttle and Stockdale.

McCann I hope comes through this year - its question of when rather than if isn't it - he looks to be a class player- smart,skillfull, great work work-rate and a big lad too.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

kingofthehill wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:10 pm
Bayern wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:56 pm McCormick much be highly rated if he was offered an academy place as a 18 year old hooker coming out of school.
These are just my opinions.

Some of the academy decisions are appalling.
Rankin ahead of McIlroy last year was laughable (anybody who watches schoolboy rugby would of known that)
Stewart and Finlay ahead of O’Donnell.
Houston ahead of Armstrong (albeit medicine might of made his decision)
Carson (IMO is overrated)- my bet will postlewaite will be ahead of him in a year or two

To be honest I’m bored of it now.
Bored of the poor academy management?
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Any word on props Oscar Egan and George Saunderson?
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Ulster players in Ireland U18 squads last season:

TH Prop: Joseph Mawhinney (Ballymena Academy)
LH Prop: David Braden (Omagh Academy)
Lock: Charlie Irvine (Wallace High School)
Lock: Paddy Browne (Ballymena Academy)
Backrow: Jack Milton (Ballyclare RFC)
Openside: Reuben Crothers (Wallace High School) - In academy
Scrumhalf: James Wright (Ballymena Academy)
Centre: Ben Carson (Wallace High School) - In academy
Centre: Jude Postlethwaite (RBAI)

Assume most of these are still in school this season?
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

Bayern wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:00 am Any word on props Oscar Egan and George Saunderson?
Both in sub academy and playing for Queens this year with the majority of the rest of the sub academy. Sanderson played last weekend v Malone but don’t think Egan did.

Mawhinney, Browne, Irvine, Wright are all still in school, Ross McKay also was involved in the Irish 18’s fixture over Christmas last year and has another year at school. I think Braden has another year in school but not 100%.

Milton playing at Ballymena this year and Postlethwaite with Bann.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

RuPi wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:40 am
Bayern wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:00 am Any word on props Oscar Egan and George Saunderson?
Both in sub academy and playing for Queens this year with the majority of the rest of the sub academy. Sanderson played last weekend v Malone but don’t think Egan did.

Mawhinney, Browne, Irvine, Wright are all still in school, Ross McKay also was involved in the Irish 18’s fixture over Christmas last year and has another year at school. I think Braden has another year in school but not 100%.

Milton playing at Ballymena this year and Postlethwaite with Bann.
much appreciate for the info.

I see David Humphreys son is with queens, wonder if he has any involvement with sub academy..
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

He is in the sub academy.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Hope Oscar has fully recovered from that horrendous knee injury he sustained against Leinster during last years U19 inter pros.

He looked like he could have kicked on.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Jack Regan started for Otago in the Mitre 10 at the weekend, it'll be interesting to see how he develops down there. Maybe they've seen something our academy didnt!
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Friday 25th October:

Leinster ‘A’ v Ulster ‘A’, RDS (Kick-off 7pm)
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Wonder if the A game will be shown online anywhere. It might actually be a good thing to offer as a sweetener for the 'Together Ulster' membership.

I see Dan Leavy is due to play on Friday, will be his first game since the QF against us. Hard to see him getting back to his old level after such a horrific injury, but you have to respect the commitment to getting back on the field.