Ospreys Vs Ulster Sat 10th October 5.15pm Premier Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Alister Scott
Steward

Re: Ospreys Vs Ulster Sat 10th October 5.15pm Premier Sports

Post by Alister Scott »

Fintan wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:29 pm Only 2 backs on the bench?

Could be fun for someone if there are a few injuries!
Two?

Shoor Louis Ludik's a no8 now.

Probably we'll end up with wee Dave playing lock.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Quite surprised at the 2 bench options for the backs. Would have gone for Alby naturally over shanananananaghan just on ability and Lowry just so that 10 is covered. Whilst I get Ludik can cover 11-15 it’s risky not having another 10. Lowry can cover 10 and 15, Mads can move to 12 or 15 and Stockdale can move to cover wings.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

TopPoster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:40 pm Quite surprised at the 2 bench options for the backs. Would have gone for Alby naturally over shanananananaghan just on ability and Lowry just so that 10 is covered. Whilst I get Ludik can cover 11-15 it’s risky not having another 10. Lowry can cover 10 and 15, Mads can move to 12 or 15 and Stockdale can move to cover wings.
Isn’t this almost certainly Covid-related?

One senior and one academy player tested positive but Bel Tel reporting that a further five were in close contact. That could have been something like a gym session and might explain the very limited bench options in the backs.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

TopPoster wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:40 pm Quite surprised at the 2 bench options for the backs. Would have gone for Alby naturally over shanananananaghan just on ability and Lowry just so that 10 is covered. Whilst I get Ludik can cover 11-15 it’s risky not having another 10. Lowry can cover 10 and 15, Mads can move to 12 or 15 and Stockdale can move to cover wings.
Think it’s obvious who has been in close contact and not available.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

We also went 6-2 vs Leinster and Toulouse.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

It has to be Covid then limiting the options. No issue with a 6:2 bench split as after all the forwards win the matches first and foremost so stack it to get an advantage. But regardless of bench split there needs to be 9 and 10 cover in whatever combination. I don’t see Cooney as a proper 10 cover.

So will have to agree with you gents and suggest Lowry’s non-inclusion must be Bat Flu contact related.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Alister Scott wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:13 pm

Two?

6 wasn’t he?!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:48 pm

Two?

6 wasn’t he?!
Turned 7 last Tuesday.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Looking forward to seeing young Rea at 7 against tipuric. To be fair the ospreys pack and forwards bench look decent so having a “forwards” insurance policy on the bench is fine by me. To be fair just being in a position to play this game is a bonus - as is seeing the young centre pairing again.
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

Dharper wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:46 am Looking forward to seeing young Rea at 7 against tipuric. To be fair the ospreys pack and forwards bench look decent so having a “forwards” insurance policy on the bench is fine by me. To be fair just being in a position to play this game is a bonus - as is seeing the young centre pairing again.
I agree with all that. The Ospreys pack played very well last week against a good Edinburgh side, so it will be a baptism of fire for young Rea. I'm sure he will do well with an experienced Ulster pack around him.

It should be a good game.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

The 6-2 split on the bench intrigues, we have done it several times recently. South Africa enjoyed great success with it during the world cup bringing on their six fresh forwards which became known as the "Bomb Squad" to devastating effect.
Does Dan like and deploys it because it allows two back row forwards which helps negate an absolutely knackered Coetzee who is relied upon so much? May be a factor. As much as I like Reidy on the pitch from the start I love to see him come off the bench as he always adds impact when he comes on.
Sure there are risks behind going for the 6-2 but there is also the reward, being conservative doesn't win tight games.

I'm keen to see how Faddes goes, from what I read by Murray Kinsella (a rugby writer who I've alot of time for) on the 42.ie he scored a fantastic indivudal effort against Leinster "A". Hopefully he has taken a bit of confidence from that and can kick on. I feel a bit sorry for him, since his arrival it's been a bit stop start and spluttering with a mixed bag of injuries and playing whilst injured. Hopefully if he can just start concentrating on doing his basics well the rest will come, he knows his way over the try line as his record backs up. Faddes relax, looks like a player playing under pressure to perform.

The Ospreys are dangerous at present, I really don't know how this game will go, Ospreys were terrible last season but went to Edinburgh and absolutely stuffed them in every department last week. Conditions at Murrayfield were terrible but the experience half back partnership of Webb and Myler made few mistakes and played smart rugby. Our away record is a worry, though and some point we have to wipe the slate clean and start picking up wins on the road.

What I hope to see this evening......
- Vast improvement on our restart collection, we made a hash of every restart bar one that we received last week
- The young centre partnership showing some match on match growth
- Rea Jnr showing dominance in the collision, we know he can carry, lets see it
- All six forwards showing impact when they come on
- Marty Moore being moved to out half with his deft hands should Madigan get injured
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:59 am - Marty Moore being moved to out half with his deft hands should Madigan get injured
Now there's a thought. He'll be able to handle a rampaging No8 charging down his channel as well!

Wonder what his chip and chase would be like?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Think ospreys will be top dogs in Wales this year, so a result here will be difficult to come by. If we have the same lack of breakdown threat and passive backline defence as last week it could be a long afternoon. A good experience for the youngsters no matter what though and they will be better for it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:48 pm

Two?

6 wasn’t he?!
8, then 6 me thinks.
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

Off the Top wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:44 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:59 am - Marty Moore being moved to out half with his deft hands should Madigan get injured
Now there's a thought. He'll be able to handle a rampaging No8 charging down his channel as well!

Wonder what his chip and chase would be like?
Throw him a chip and find out.