Ulster v Scarlets Sunday 7:35pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster v Scarlets Sunday 7:35pm

Post by big mervyn »

In real time Treadwell's card was never red. I do think slow mo gives a false perspective on these things and doesn't really give a true perspective on players' natural reaction times or any real indication of intent in an incident that was essentially a split second event.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
austintranslation
Novice

Post by austintranslation »

big mervyn wrote:In real time Treadwell's card was never red. I do think slow mo gives a false perspective on these things and doesn't really give a true perspective on players' natural reaction times or any real indication of intent in an incident that was essentially a split second event.
Agree, I'd actually missed the incident at first. But any contact with the neck/head and you run the risk whether reactionary or not.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Nine times out of ten that would have been a red, but these things do even up over a season and from a Scarlets perspective, they left with two points, a confidence that they probably deserved to shade it and it was only a league game, so I reckon that the coach (who spoke really well at the end) is privately the happier of the two. Discipline a huge issue, surely coaching can stop dull things like charging in to rucks with the shoulder (David O'Connor, leading to a try), plus the 81st minute line out, do we not have a banker lineout to the front for such moments? Badly needed wake up call but really enjoyed the game, different level to the last couple, the welsh a delight to watch at times, if not to listen to!
GUBU
Novice

Post by GUBU »

Good to see that the Taffia have rallied round this morning and are now describing Treadwell's offence last night as the 'reddest red card ever'. Huw Richards punching Gary Whetton is clearly long forgotten.

That aside, what will Scarlets be rueing most - the fact that they had 26 players unavailable, or the fact that Dan Jones wasn't one of them?

And why is everyone silent on what was by far the ugliest aspect of last night's game - Steff Evan's mullet.
“It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.”
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Devastated for Luke Marshall, it looked like another long term injury?

No gas and air required is the only thing giving me a little hope.

Speedy recovery young man!
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Should be concern over McGrath absence too. Really don’t want to be operating with 1 quality LH come Europe. I hope his body can hold up, as he’s been a quality operator & strikes me as a popular fella in the squad.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Firstly, I get totally drunk off whenever our opponents whinge and moan about how many players they are missing when we are often missing almost as many without mentioning that fact. Usually, if they say they are missing twenty players, 15 are from their academy and would never be selected for the first team. You rarely hear an Irish side complaining in this way,
Secondly, re the Treadwell issue, the TMO was right to pull the ref back from a red for a number of reasons:
The player had been tackled and was starting to come down.
Treadwell made a clear attempt to wrap his right arm.
All the impetus came from the Scarlets player, Treadwell appeared to actually be trying to back off from the collision.
So a yellow card was entirely sufficient, if even justified at all.
Thirdly, that was the most one-sided, almost incompetent,exhibition of how not to referee a match I've seen in a long time. They got away with failing to release and lying over the ball all match while we were penalised with alacrity if we did that.
In the build up to their final try, an Ulster player was picked up, turned upside down and dropped, completely missed by all the officials.
Their final try came from a maul that was stopped for about ten minutes, with the ref telling them to play the ball - should have been our scrum.
Why is a high tackle by one side just worth a penalty, while an almost identical tackle by the other side is worth a yellow card?
Finally, if the reffing was one-eyed, the commentary was a lot worse, you would have thought there was only one side playing (or playing well) for a lot of the match. In fairness to Shanklin, he did say the odd positive thing about Ulster but it was dreadful.
IMO, to win, given all that, with 14 men for 20 minutes, was a good performance - at least in patches, but it has to be admitted that our discipline was iffy at times. But it's hard to play if you expect to be penalised, whatever you do.
Bo***cks to Brexit
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

For the record, we were missing McGrath, Herring, Henderson, Carter, Burns, McCloskey, Hume, Balacoune, Addison, Stockdale - ten players, all of whom would have been in the mix for selection to our starting 15. Plus Marshall after three minutes.
Enough of this nonsense about other teams being badly off due to injury or selection issues.
Bo***cks to Brexit
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

>appl
rocky wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:27 pm Firstly, I get totally drunk off whenever our opponents whinge and moan about how many players they are missing when we are often missing almost as many without mentioning that fact. Usually, if they say they are missing twenty players, 15 are from their academy and would never be selected for the first team. You rarely hear an Irish side complaining in this way,
Secondly, re the Treadwell issue, the TMO was right to pull the ref back from a red for a number of reasons:
The player had been tackled and was starting to come down.
Treadwell made a clear attempt to wrap his right arm.
All the impetus came from the Scarlets player, Treadwell appeared to actually be trying to back off from the collision.
So a yellow card was entirely sufficient, if even justified at all.
Thirdly, that was the most one-sided, almost incompetent,exhibition of how not to referee a match I've seen in a long time. They got away with failing to release and lying over the ball all match while we were penalised with alacrity if we did that.
In the build up to their final try, an Ulster player was picked up, turned upside down and dropped, completely missed by all the officials.
Their final try came from a maul that was stopped for about ten minutes, with the ref telling them to play the ball - should have been our scrum.
Why is a high tackle by one side just worth a penalty, while an almost identical tackle by the other side is worth a yellow card?
Finally, if the reffing was one-eyed, the commentary was a lot worse, you would have thought there was only one side playing (or playing well) for a lot of the match. In fairness to Shanklin, he did say the odd positive thing about Ulster but it was dreadful.
IMO, to win, given all that, with 14 men for 20 minutes, was a good performance - at least in patches, but it has to be admitted that our discipline was iffy at times. But it's hard to play if you expect to be penalised, whatever you do.
>appl >appl >appl
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Rocky - nail firmly hit on head ... penalty count for stupid offences still a concern
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

There's something deeply satisfying about a good rant, isn't there, Rocky? >appl >appl >appl
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

Did anyone else spot the swinging arm by Kalamafoni to the side of Coetzee's head when he stayed down for a bit? A few minutes later the same player shoulder charged Coetzee and then had to go off for a HIA. Didn't see replay of either so couldn't be sure.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

mea97mb wrote:Did anyone else spot the swinging arm by Kalamafoni to the side of Coetzee's head when he stayed down for a bit? A few minutes later the same player shoulder charged Coetzee and then had to go off for a HIA. Didn't see replay of either so couldn't be sure.
Saw the first one and it was much worse than what faddes got a yellow for. I suspect the tmo and ref were conscious of the treadwell decision and were trying to balance things up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

jean valjean wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:17 pm
mea97mb wrote:Did anyone else spot the swinging arm by Kalamafoni to the side of Coetzee's head when he stayed down for a bit? A few minutes later the same player shoulder charged Coetzee and then had to go off for a HIA. Didn't see replay of either so couldn't be sure.
Saw the first one and it was much worse than what faddes got a yellow for. I suspect the tmo and ref were conscious of the treadwell decision and were trying to balance things up.

"balance things up"?
They'll have fun trying to explain that to their assessor.
Maybe a human reaction, but match officials don't think that way.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Snipe Watson wrote:
jean valjean wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:17 pm

"balance things up"?
They'll have fun trying to explain that to their assessor.
Maybe a human reaction, but match officials don't think that way.
Subconsciously I reckon. Will never admit however.