Ulster v Scarlets Sunday 7:35pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Ulster v Scarlets Sunday 7:35pm

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rocky wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:27 pm Firstly, I get totally drunk off whenever our opponents whinge and moan about how many players they are missing when we are often missing almost as many without mentioning that fact. Usually, if they say they are missing twenty players, 15 are from their academy and would never be selected for the first team. You rarely hear an Irish side complaining in this way,
Secondly, re the Treadwell issue, the TMO was right to pull the ref back from a red for a number of reasons:
The player had been tackled and was starting to come down.
Treadwell made a clear attempt to wrap his right arm.
All the impetus came from the Scarlets player, Treadwell appeared to actually be trying to back off from the collision.
So a yellow card was entirely sufficient, if even justified at all.
Thirdly, that was the most one-sided, almost incompetent,exhibition of how not to referee a match I've seen in a long time. They got away with failing to release and lying over the ball all match while we were penalised with alacrity if we did that.
In the build up to their final try, an Ulster player was picked up, turned upside down and dropped, completely missed by all the officials.
Their final try came from a maul that was stopped for about ten minutes, with the ref telling them to play the ball - should have been our scrum.
Why is a high tackle by one side just worth a penalty, while an almost identical tackle by the other side is worth a yellow card?
Finally, if the reffing was one-eyed, the commentary was a lot worse, you would have thought there was only one side playing (or playing well) for a lot of the match. In fairness to Shanklin, he did say the odd positive thing about Ulster but it was dreadful.
IMO, to win, given all that, with 14 men for 20 minutes, was a good performance - at least in patches, but it has to be admitted that our discipline was iffy at times. But it's hard to play if you expect to be penalised, whatever you do.
Must admit that watching live without the "benefit" of hearing the ref, or commentary, I wondered if I was being too harsh on the ref who I thought refereed one side only but when Rocky, always the voice of reason, says similar, I know I wasn't just being an aul grouch.

I agree with your observations 100% sir, and made similar observations at the time, but must admit I still expected Tredders to get red, and wasn't aware that it was the TMO who talked the ref into accepting mitigation.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

jean valjean wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:10 pm
Snipe Watson wrote:
jean valjean wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:17 pm
mea97mb wrote:Did anyone else spot the swinging arm by Kalamafoni to the side of Coetzee's head when he stayed down for a bit? A few minutes later the same player shoulder charged Coetzee and then had to go off for a HIA. Didn't see replay of either so couldn't be sure.
Saw the first one and it was much worse than what faddes got a yellow for. I suspect the tmo and ref were conscious of the treadwell decision and were trying to balance things up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
"balance things up"?
They'll have fun trying to explain that to their assessor.
Maybe a human reaction, but match officials don't think that way.
Subconsciously I reckon. Will never admit however.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
The ref made as sure as hell that nobody was going to talk him out of his intended punishment for Faddes. He had whipped the yellow out before the tackle had even been completed.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

As usual Rocky is right!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Setanta wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:26 am As usual Rocky is right!
Not quite.

He stated, "Thirdly, that was the most one-sided, almost incompetent,exhibition of how not to referee a match I've seen in a long time."

It may have been such that he has seen in a long time, but I would venture to suggest that what he really meant to write was that it was very competent exhibition of how not to referee a match. :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

:lol: :roll: mehr als möglich!!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

[Welsh accent] ... framework ... isn't it! [/Welsh accent]
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Scarlets gone home with more than just 2 bonus points, it seems :(
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
d4surfer
Novice

Post by d4surfer »

BR wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:02 pm Scarlets gone home with more than just 2 bonus points, it seems :(
Or maybe they left something behind!!!!
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Caught something- treadwells ban!!