Autumn Nations Cup aka 8 Nations

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: Autumn Nations Cup aka 8 Nations

Post by Dharper »

That was a really poor watch.

Longer the game went on the more it was a slow arm wrestle. Lack of footwork to dictate the point of contact, and handling by the forwards contributed. Stander far from taking the mantle and responsibility in 2nd half, demonstrated the above and showed why he shouldn’t be playing 8 for Ire.

That was an examination of the pack & set piece after recent problems, and it is very clear it is most definitely a work on.

A 10 should’ve been pinning the Georgians in their own 22, and pressuring their poor lineout.....Byrne didn’t.

Positives:

Stockdale overcooked a couple of attacking kicks but the ideas were good. Couple of good kicks for territory. Nice miss pass for Keenan try, and very unlucky for SMcC chalked off effort - overall impressed with the passing vision from him. I’d say his physicality in the carry has definitely improved. Decent performance.

Burns is definitely the 10 to have on the bench ahead of Byrne. Showed control and could get the backline moving.

Decision to kick the 3 in 1st half by Ryan when on offer.....demonstrating even further how stupid the decision for the corner was in Paris.

Porter is progressing v nicely.

.......with the improvements to the Scottish pack, next Saturday could be an uncomfortable watch for Farrell with the standard of current pack performance.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I suppose another positive is MotM for Hendo. Doesn't mean much at all but we'll take it.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I know it is not popular or the thing to do BUT I really think the referee had a hand in ruining this game. There was no continuity for either side and he made several wrong decisions.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

That was a dire excuse for international rugby.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Brutal match. Ireland needed to score at least two more tries in the second half to show progress.
McCloskey and Burns were the best of a bad lot.
Question marks about where Farrell is going.
I know people despised Schmidt towards the end but he got the basics right and it worked for a long time. We needed to change and become less predictable but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
A lot rides on the performance against Scotland next Saturday.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Not half as brutal as the marking and comments from the alleged Rugby Corespondent Gavin Comiskey in the Irish Times he has surpassed himself in his poor judgement and nasty comments.o
I don’t think that this was Ireland’s finest hour but it is reasonable to expect some constructive criticism. He makes Neil Francis seem reasonable and intelligent.
In case you think I am being unreasonable read the comments from others on his views.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dublin4 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:32 pm Brutal match. Ireland needed to score at least two more tries in the second half to show progress.
McCloskey and Burns were the best of a bad lot.
Question marks about where Farrell is going.
I know people despised Schmidt towards the end but he got the basics right and it worked for a long time. We needed to change and become less predictable but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
A lot rides on the performance against Scotland next Saturday.
Schmidt was a details guy who was never out of his depth. Farrell's tenure has been a story of decline with no apparent answers.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Aird,
I haven't read Cummiskey yet but I never rate his opinions. I find him a smart ass at the best of times full of his own importance.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Scotland will be licking their lips, with a 13 to Ire 6 day turnaround.
Scot have improved last 12 months upfront, and breakdown. We have most certainly regressed, and by all accounts shipped added injuries today. Could well be a very difficult match, pressure building on that coaching team.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

First half went reasonably well.

Stu was very unlucky - Nigel would have called that a flat pass. Don’t remember seeing Jacob chucking huge passes either side before.

Things went downhill when Billy went off and the Ulster contingent all went reasonably well. Groin issue I think for Billy and a rib injury for Herring apparently.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Farrell should never have been given the job , It was a new Zealand coach told me Rugby league players seldom understand the difference between Union and League and thus fail as Rugby Union Coaches.

They only understand half the problem. Coaches like McCall and Schmidt know that to win matches you have to work out ways score and go into every match with at least two unexpected well rehearsed moves .

Some again the only back with an ounce of creativity was Stockdale although I thought McCloskey had a good 1st half and then disappeared in the mire of Byrnes mediocrity . Farrell in the 13 unfortunately showed why he is not an international 13 he might be a reasonable 12 but he is not an outside centre how you wish Cave was still playing ,the game at both 10 and 13 is about timing and knowing exactly how to make space and when to pass. There is something Robotic about both Byrnes and Farrell which comes to the fore playing international rugby.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Just read Cummiskey's comments. Totally disgraceful. Of course he had a go at everyone including Burns an McCluskey who the Irish Independent considered were the only bright spots in the team. He calls for herring to be replaced and of course bring back Kelleher despite the face that Herring outshone him completely. Just read his comments on Burns compared to the other press and you will see how little he knows about what makes a good player
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

His comments about Burns were grossly insulting in comparing him to a club player.
Dublin media is pure stars. No exceptions even Thornley sold his soul to the IRFU
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

I mean stars not stars!
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Spell check really annoys me.