Heineken Round 2 Gloucester Away Sat Dec 19 3:15pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Heineken Round 2 Gloucester Away Sat Dec 19 3:15pm

Post by Snipe Watson »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:50 pm Capt you are of course joking the referee is not just incompetent but dangerous he didn’t even penalise the only red card offence in the game .
If you're talking about the shoulder in Stockdale's back, you're right and wrong. It was never a red card, but it was a yellow.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It was dangerous play —- deliberate run straight into the kidneys — no attempt to bind —? a red everyday of the week.

Bet their will a citation which will be upheld .

If your thinking of the running leap at him knee in the back and over Stockdales shoulder I’ll give player the benefit of the doubt ( but I hate to think what Stockdales face would be like had he been facing the other way . You could nearly see the referees tears at his inability to card Stockdale.because the player jumped at his back and not his face .
Last edited by rumncoke on Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:24 pm
rumncoke wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:50 pm Capt you are of course joking the referee is not just incompetent but dangerous he didn’t even penalise the only red card offence in the game .
If you're talking about the shoulder in Stockdale's back, you're right and wrong. It was never a red card, but it was a yellow.
I concur, but honestly believe a cheap shot like that which potentially could have cost Jacob a kidney should deserve red.

Certainly deserved the penalty to be reversed and the player going to the naughty step for at least 10 minutes to think over his actions - if he wasn't concussed that is.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. I don’t often criticise a ref (publicly!) but that ref was an absolute shocker. I don’t think I have ever seen worse incompetence in over 60 years of playing/watching rugby. He should never ref again at elite level. Shocking!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Can players learn from this game

Yes while you must respect the referee during the game

It is not compulsory to shake his hand afterwards
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Same ref as Bath at home and Quins away last year I think.
turko
Novice
Location: Exiled but heart remains at the cathedral on match day

Post by turko »

Agree with the majority that the referee was appalling. Mostly for both sides in fairness (from a Gloucester point of view he awarded them a penalty for us holding on in the first 5 mins when there was absolutely no clear release by the tackler but yet 5 mins later penalised the exact same player for no clear release when he absolutely did so). However his key decisions were worse for us in the context of the outcome of the game. I think both sets of players were exasperated by him and his inconsistency. He was being influenced by the TMO at the end which is ridiculous but I think the TMO realised what was going on and tried to step in. Sadly that’s not their roll and they need to be reigned in. The penalty at the last scrum was 100% from the TMO who had developed the view that our props weren’t binding properly about 20 mins previously. I very much doubt there was an issue at that particular scrum.
But what concerns me most was the decision on the cheap shout to Jacobs kidney area. Utterly appalling and totally unnecessary piece of play which in a week that our game has come under tremendous scrutiny to be described as a ‘rugby collision’ by the referee was beyond comprehension in my view. What on earth was he thinking. If that’s a rugby collision then there will be no parent in the land who will allow their kids to play the game. That comment alone is the most reprehensible thing I have heard for many a year given the context of where we are. What a complete tw*t. Could it be relevant that one of our star players was the one who was hit? I would say absolutely it is.
I just hope Jacob is ok and there is no significant trauma to his kidney and to be fair their player isn’t concussed (he did play on which is a worry)
We need to protect our players and the reputation of the game.
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Have lost 3 posts so far so this will be short and curtailed. (Why are you cheering ??!!)
Lost another game we should have won. Great effort especially when down to 13 men. But street smarts are poor both from players and management. Sorry Dan but you should have subbed O'Sullivan before that last scrum. Very Obvious their TH was illegally trying to get a penalty. Also obvious that the ref and TJ were going to wrongfully penalise us. No sub, penalty awarded and they go on to win the game.
Quick summary
Top players - Cooney, Burns, Lowry & O'Sullivan
Top triers - Both O'Connors
Average performance but should do more - Stockdale, McCloskey, Murphy, Herring
Below par - Reidy, Moore, Faddes (NIQ???)
Not at it - Hume, Timoney
Special mention to Rea and O'Toole. Rea should definitely be starting.
Finally the officials. The ref was totally out of his depth. Seemed to go out of his way to find something to penalise. How he dismissed the assault on Stockdale as a rugby incident I don't know. It was an obvious piece of thuggery and everyone who has ever played the game knows exactly what the Gloucester player was doing. Cheap shot all day long but a bit like Marler last week nothing will be done about it. The touch judges are all looking for their 10 seconds of fame and should shut up unless the ref asks for their input. At one stage you heard them telling the ref that O'Sullivan needed a longer bind but then the TJ shooed O'Sullivan away when their TH was illegally trying to win a penalty. Standard of reffing is getting comical and is destroying the game.
LTHG
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

lovesthehardground wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:54 am Have lost 3 posts so far so this will be short and curtailed. (Why are you cheering ??!!)
Lost another game we should have won. Great effort especially when down to 13 men. But street smarts are poor both from players and management. Sorry Dan but you should have subbed O'Sullivan before that last scrum. Very Obvious their TH was illegally trying to get a penalty. Also obvious that the ref and TJ were going to wrongfully penalise us. No sub, penalty awarded and they go on to win the game.
Quick summary
Finally the officials. The ref was totally out of his depth. Seemed to go out of his way to find something to penalise. How he dismissed the assault on Stockdale as a rugby incident I don't know. It was an obvious piece of thuggery and everyone who has ever played the game knows exactly what the Gloucester player was doing. Cheap shot all day long but a bit like Marler last week nothing will be done about it. The touch judges are all looking for their 10 seconds of fame and should shut up unless the ref asks for their input. At one stage you heard them telling the ref that O'Sullivan needed a longer bind but then the TJ shooed O'Sullivan away when their TH was illegally trying to win a penalty. Standard of reffing is getting comical and is destroying the game.
I’ll fix that - Rea should be starting for Ballymena.

Disappointing with 1min to go,ulster should of won the game.

We missed Carter,Hendy and Marcell.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

Ulster were never going to win that game.
Ref was a total plunker and that was apparent from the 6 penalties awarded to Gloucester before their second try and first yellow card.O,Connor yellow after he was being strangled was a farce.
As for the final two minutes if Ulster had been off the pitch they still would have been penalise by a clown who made Clancy look like a top ranked official.
Difficulty commenting on player attitude etc when it was difficult to know what the ref was going to penalise next.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:14 pm
lovesthehardground wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:54 am Have lost 3 posts so far so this will be short and curtailed. (Why are you cheering ??!!)
Quick summary

Rea is a potential ball carrier but for me he does not contribute enough in the bigger games. He is 27 now and has over 50 caps. He'd be Munster 3rds at best. We only have 3 back row forwards of Heiny standard (Marcell, Jordi and Reidy) and Reidy should really be an impact man at this level. We are facing a time bomb with Marcell's contract and Jordi getting on in the back row. Need to invest time in Allison, McCann, Marcus Rea. Given one of them a Euro start and involvement in interpros alongside hopefully Marcel.

The lock situation was really unfortunate, having 3 out. I have seen enough in recent weeks to think we should try to keep Sam Carter.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I presume milo was injured / unavailable? Having a 19st LH on the bench would have been handy.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Bart S wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:11 pm
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:14 pm
Quick summary

Rea is a potential ball carrier but for me he does not contribute enough in the bigger games. He is 27 now and has over 50 caps. He'd be Munster 3rds at best. We only have 3 back row forwards of Heiny standard (Marcell, Jordi and Reidy) and Reidy should really be an impact man at this level. We are facing a time bomb with Marcell's contract and Jordi getting on in the back row. Need to invest time in Allison, McCann, Marcus Rea. Given one of them a Euro start and involvement in interpros alongside hopefully Marcel.

The lock situation was really unfortunate, having 3 out. I have seen enough in recent weeks to think we should try to keep Sam Carter.
Treadmills ban was not unfortunate, it was daft, no worse than a shoulder into a kidney that went without even a penalty, but definitely not unfortunate....
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Amidst all this " it's not fair guv" we should not overlook that with approx 90 seconds to go, and 3 points ahead, ( in spite of the crazy ref) and almost on their 22, we knocked on in trying a short pop difficult pass which we knocked on. We didn't need to be doing that and we should have been much more cautious in managing our ball possession especially at that stage of the match.
Not the first time we have lost a game from similar situation.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Despite a few players getting some stick I don’t think to many are actually blaming the team .

It is basically nearly impossible to play with confidence with a referee who goes whistle happy

Four yellow cards — three penalty tries and a period of play which consisted of 5 minutes ( approx) in which Ulster were penalised 6-7 times received 2 yellow cards and had a penalty try given against them .

Then play out the yellow cards penalty free and score 3
Having watched the McIllroy incident basically he went for what looked an intercept and the ball struck him it is actual hard trying to slow the play down to see if struck his hand arm chest or leg considering he was approaching from the goal line — was the Pass forward ?

Is placing yourself between passer and receiver .

By feeling is we paid the price for Brace refereeing the English French match