Marcell Speculation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Marcell Speculation

Post by Dave »

Bobbievee wrote:In my naivety, could someone explain the financial outcome of Bulls " buying out the contract" ?

So the direct financial benefit to Ulster is the 450k savings of MCs salary, Plus whatever Petrie and co managed to persuade the Bulls to cough up as a one off........which might be what?
Both parties agreeing to terminate the contract for a price. Like a transfer fee. Compensation for our troubles. With Ulster negotiating we probably gave them money.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Whatever they were prepared to pay.

Who knows - a few hundred grand?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

So we might be able to afford 2 decent " replacements " ...........at least for a year?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

As a minimum the starting point £ would have been his salary for the remaining 12 months as that is what the contract valued him at. Touted to be 450k

You could then go on to seek compensation for loss of income, which is a little pie in the sky..... does Coetzee being in an Ulster shirt sell more of them, does it mean more people buy season tickets etc

Finally you could argue you would have to pay above market value to find a replacement at short notice.

If we are getting less than 600k we are fools. However, see Dave's comment above.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I suspect the young ball-carrying 8 that’s on the way won’t be that expensive.

It would be nice to bring in a turnover merchant too, although a number of players chipped in with turnovers today.
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:17 am I suspect the young ball-carrying 8 that’s on the way won’t be that expensive.

It would be nice to bring in a turnover merchant too, although a number of players chipped in with turnovers today.
Any clues to who this suspected no8 might be? Or who’ll hear.

Another LH would be appreciated.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

KOTH has already spoken.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:32 pm Some are comparing this situation to McFarland coming here. Remember Dan had to serve his 9 month notice period before 'officially' taking up the head coaching role. Entirely different to a playing situation. At least the SRFU had the cajones to not allow him to leave with immediate effect.
Did he serve his 9 month notice period?

I'm open to correction, but I thought Ulster and SRU came to a financial agreement which meant he left quite a bit before his 9 months were up. Correct he did not leave with immediate effect. Neither is Marcell leaving with immediate effect.

Not saying I'm happy with this, nor am I comparing the two situations, but equally I do think rugby is getting more like footy these days and this sort of thing will become more common. Probably still not commonplace, but not that unusual either.

Like all aspects of life, when money enters, things get a bit cloudy. When big money comes in, things get distinctly foggy. Okay, so top rugby players are getting paid in a year what some top footy players get in a month, or even a week. It's still enough money to complicate matters ... unfortunately.

Marcel knows his worth and there's more than Ulster prepared to pay for it.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I think you’re right.

Rugby contracts are usually fairly short and not many teams have money swilling around to pay transfer fees, so Marcel’s situation should remain fairly rare.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

If Ulster could get 2 backrowers, one from another province and a decent NIq then that would be a decent result. For all Marcell’s Brilliance Ulster badly need more depth in the backrow. We can’t compete against the top teams with current backrow resources. Against Gloucester we only had 1 backrower out (ok. An exceptional one) but it was clear the replacements are not quite at the level required.
Getting a NIQ to commit given the Covid situation could be a challenge, unless it is someone already playing in Europe.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We don't need any backs. Could someone buy Faddes?
Ravenhillman
Novice

Post by Ravenhillman »

The Captain stated - Marcel knows his worth and there's more than Ulster prepared to pay for it.

Like I said previously- He will be taking a drop in salary to play for the Bulls :fleg: :fleg: :red:
In rugby the score isn’t important....it’s the taking apart
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

So it’s not really a question of knowing his worth then.

It’s a family/lifestyle choice and that’s fair enough.

As shown tonight, his style has rubbed off on the rest of the pack and he ought to leave with the Province’s best wishes.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:32 pm Some are comparing this situation to McFarland coming here. Remember Dan had to serve his 9 month notice period before 'officially' taking up the head coaching role. Entirely different to a playing situation. At least the SRFU had the cajones to not allow him to leave with immediate effect.
Did he serve his 9 month notice period?

I'm open to correction, but I thought Ulster and SRU came to a financial agreement which meant he left quite a bit before his 9 months were up. Correct he did not leave with immediate effect. Neither is Marcell leaving with immediate effect.

Not saying I'm happy with this, nor am I comparing the two situations, but equally I do think rugby is getting more like footy these days and this sort of thing will become more common. Probably still not commonplace, but not that unusual either.

Like all aspects of life, when money enters, things get a bit cloudy. When big money comes in, things get distinctly foggy. Okay, so top rugby players are getting paid in a year what some top footy players get in a month, or even a week. It's still enough money to complicate matters ... unfortunately.

Marcel knows his worth and there's more than Ulster prepared to pay for it.
Sorry that's correct he served most but not all of the 9 month notice period. Difficult to compare the loss of an assistant coach and a marquee NIQ. If we head towards more wendyball style transfers we cannot compete. There is no room in the budget for the likes of Ulster to buy players out of contracts. We need players to have the integrity to see out their contracts or don't sign them in the first place.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yes, Ulster should have ascertained what MC’s likely reaction to a global pandemic would be and released him two years ago for nothing if the answer was a concern.