Marcell Speculation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Marcell Speculation

Post by Jackie Brown »

What international was that?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Starsky
Initiate

Post by Starsky »

Hogg
One does not simply walk into Ulster
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I had wondered given his abrasive style what would happen if he picked up another injury between now and June? Assume it would be the same as his original move when he picked up a knee injury before joining us. Sincerly hope it doesn't happen for everyone's sake but am assuming he goes no matter what state he is in.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dark times for Ulster. A cowboy as head coach and a CEO who...well let's just say he did far worse than that in the end.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

There’s a nuanced and mature article written by JB regarding the matter on the BT website today.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Decent article and perfectly reasonable. Give me a MC tearing it up for a few yrs over some of the tom kite we’ve signed over the yrs, and kept beyond when we should (and I include Ulster men in that). It wasn’t so long ago we were linked with Lima soananga at 10......the guys been frankly embarrassing at wasps and only recently got in the team at 15.

Where would we have been without MC? A damn sight poorer in Europe the last few yrs, certainly not back to back qs. No pro 14 final either. The guys been worth every penny.
MC hasnt been responsible for a poorly run organisation, poor academy, poor talent identification. We are still suffering a legacy of that, even IF, I’m uncertain those talent pathways have improved. It’s a professional sport, it’s a career, MC is a saffer.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Starsky wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:37 pmHogg
IIRC, Ulster didn't approach Hogg. Hogg approached Ulster behind his employer's back. I'm told he even paid his own airfare to Belfast and ensured he was photographed here. I cannot be certain that was fully true though.

Ulster had next to zero interest in him, and Hogg was using Ulster to inflate his own bargaining position in the hope of a higher salary with a new contract with his employer at that time.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Starsky
Initiate

Post by Starsky »

There could some truth to that Cap’n but I can’t remember a photo emerging apart from my poor quality one of the back of his head in the Stormont Hotel 😀.

There must have been some interest from Ulster though, otherwise incredibly naive on their part to be used in that way.
One does not simply walk into Ulster
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:27 pm https://twitter.com/BlueBullsRugby/stat ... 29761?s=09

Looks like he can't wait.
Pretty sure Marcell is in the same bunker Shame Logan made his final adresses in
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

What's the view on David McCann as MC's long-term replacement? Thought he was superb in a truncated season for Ireland U-20's. Looked one of the most promising players in a decent crop.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Ah, can't blame the fella to be honest. If I were in his boots, I'd likely do the same.

All the die-hards who'd have you believe they would continue* to play for a team halfway across the world when the rest of their family wants you home need to cop on.

*with offers on the table from employers close to home.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Amiga500 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:30 pm Ah, can't blame the fella to be honest. If I were in his boots, I'd likely do the same.

All the die-hards who'd have you believe they would continue* to play for a team halfway across the world when the rest of their family wants you home need to cop on.

*with offers on the table from employers close to home.
There's a fair few here who have close family working and living abroad. Why are highly paid southern hemisphere pro rugby players so feckin precious about it?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

You're not supposed to have offers on the table if you're under contract. That's the protection a contract gives a team. I wonder which came first the offer from the Bulls or the homesickness?

So anyway time to move on. Unless you're under contract, no wait that doesn't matter two fcuks now.

A replacement will hopefully be found. However, if say six months into the new player's contract he says he is homesick or something to do with Covid then he knocks on Petrie's door. Will those buying this sob story, also afford the same sympathy? I would like to state my dissatisfaction for the record should this scenario represent itself.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I’d drive him back to New Zealand myself.