Cooney rumours

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Cooney rumours

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:08 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:55 pm I should point out that I know nathin about this, and am simply typing for the sake of it.
You're not alone there pal
I was bored.

It seemed a reasonable thing to do at the time.

At least I declared it though, unlike some at times.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:33 pm He was binned for the last few Irish squads.
justinr73 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:54 pm He was called up as cover for the France game two months ago.
Just to throw some petrol on this slow burner, is it significant that Cooney was not listed by UR in the players unavailable for the Connacht match, either as injured or because of IRFU player management programme? :stir:

Or was that simply an oversight by those issuing the info and putting it on website? After all, Ulster never make mistakes in the info they put out, so they never have to follow up with a correction or six. ;)
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Mathewson in my mind has been criminally underused by UR since he has arrived, although I understand that JC was intrinsic to how we were setup to play.
With Madigan at 10 we have the option of resting JC without losing the kicking % needed to win games. Shanahan has bearly featured, Matthewson underused - could equally be keeping squad happy, player rotation/gametime.

The 2 red lines for UR are Dan McF & Henderson.

End of season squad retention & recruitment will be very interesting - hopefully Dan will be happy!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:08 am
Dave wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:33 pm He was binned for the last few Irish squads.
justinr73 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:54 pm He was called up as cover for the France game two months ago.
Just to throw some petrol on this slow burner, is it significant that Cooney was not listed by UR in the players unavailable for the Connacht match, either as injured or because of IRFU player management programme? :stir:

Or was that simply an oversight by those issuing the info and putting it on website? After all, Ulster never make mistakes in the info they put out, so they never have to follow up with a correction or six. ;)
Well no, because he was available but Ulster chose to select Alby and let Wee Dave freeze his little nuts off on the bench.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Thought I saw him in Sainsbury’s buying a baguette and some Boursin though.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Dharper wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:56 am Mathewson in my mind has been criminally underused by UR since he has arrived, although I understand that JC was intrinsic to how we were setup to play.
With Madigan at 10 we have the option of resting JC without losing the kicking % needed to win games. Shanahan has bearly featured, Matthewson underused - could equally be keeping squad happy, player rotation/gametime.

The 2 red lines for UR are Dan McF & Henderson.

End of season squad retention & recruitment will be very interesting - hopefully Dan will be happy!
If we lose Cooney, and really hope we don't, could we get another year out of Mathewson and fast track Doak and Finlay? Another season might bring them on enough to start. We are lucky that we actually have some real talent coming through at 9, they just need bit more time. Totally agree about keeping Henderson and Dan, Dan mcFarland is key is Ulster going anywhere and if we continue to develop local talent we should be more resilient to these shocks. There is a whole layer of local talent to come through- Calum Reid at LH, Tom Stewart, McCann, Allison, Crothers and more in the sub academy - Saunderson, Egan etc.. and Dan seems to be building a culture that gives them chances..
I can understand Cooney leaving - ignored at international level and he has a few years left - its a short career and you have to make the most of it.
Still hope this is load of hot air..
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

If Cooney doesn't fancy his Ireland prospects then a big money move to France for a few seasons wouldn't be a terrible move for him I guess. I get the impression that he genuinely loves Ulster but he's only on Gilroy money despite being much higher profile and if he doesn't think he'll get his big break in green then who knows. I'd fully expect him to see out his contract though.
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

If we lose Cooney, and really hope we don't, could we get another year out of Mathewson and fast track Doak and Finlay? Another season might bring them on enough to start. We are lucky that we actually have some real talent coming through at 9, they just need bit more time.
Almost wish they were a year further down the line. Be criminal if they don’t leap frog Shanahan next season. Especially with a scrum half head of academy, scrum half as attack coach and Cooney & Mathewson mentoring. I’d even go as far as saying the experience Mathewson could be offloading to them is invaluable.
There is a whole layer of local talent to come through- Calum Reid at LH, Tom Stewart, McCann, Allison, Crothers and more in the sub academy - Saunderson, Egan etc.. and Dan seems to be building a culture that gives them chances..
Giving them chances if their backs? Why aren’t our forwards be forced to push on? Realistically their trip to RDs won’t happen now either.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Maybe Cooney is homesick or has family issues, but could still end up in France. Nah, that kind of thing could never happen.

If homesickness was contagious Ulster would be in Tier 5.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

This sounds like tom kite to me, unless it becomes official.

JC is the no1 9 at a province finally & over a few yrs shown his absolute worth at every level he has played at. The guys a fans favourite. Yes he clearly isn’t a Ire coach favourite, but shown he is international standard. JC May play abroad at some point however for me I suspect he’ll play out the contract or at least 1 of the 2 yrs left.

JC is at a Euro cup level club, that is building nicely. The undisputed 9. There is no other province for him. IF he went to fra any chance of an Int recall is over. I back him to stay at UR and make the Int coaching set up look a bit silly for at least a yr. the guys in great nick, & could easily play another 3/4yrs if he fancies France if no chance of an ire recall is on the cards.

We are lucky to him have, he has been sensational for us.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dharper wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:47 pm This sounds like tom kite to me, unless it becomes official.

JC is the no1 9 at a province finally & over a few yrs shown his absolute worth at every level he has played at. The guys a fans favourite. Yes he clearly isn’t a Ire coach favourite, but shown he is international standard. JC May play abroad at some point however for me I suspect he’ll play out the contract or at least 1 of the 2 yrs left.

JC is at a Euro cup level club, that is building nicely. The undisputed 9. There is no other province for him. IF he went to fra any chance of an Int recall is over. I back him to stay at UR and make the Int coaching set up look a bit silly for at least a yr. the guys in great nick, & could easily play another 3/4yrs if he fancies France if no chance of an ire recall is on the cards.

We are lucky to him have, he has been sensational for us.
:thumleft:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Coons is ripe for a big money move. If somebody wants to step up and buy him out of his contract, it would be a good career move. He has been treated with contempt by the morons at the flamin irfu. Fair play to him if he takes a payday.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Or, if he stays for now, he could pocket what would have been the transfer fee as a signing on fee.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Like I said he is a real pro, reminds me of stringer re prep & giving 100% to be at the top of his game. Anything JC gives UR in the future is a bonus - he has been sensational on the pitch & from stories also fantastic off it. The guy deserves the utmost respect in my opinion from UR supporters. The guy is ridiculously hard on himself.

JC really did deserve far more with Ire without doubt last 2 yrs. my opinion is give himself max opportunity of recall or making selectors look stupid, make sure he leaves on his terms, making his point - so no narrative of throwing his toys out the pan can be twisted by 42 journalists. The fella deserves a UR full house send off - & he’d get a belter!! Be absolutely at the epicentre of any ulster development/success til end of contract. Maybe IF he wishes finish his career in france for a few yrs good luck to him, but he has time post UR at least 2yrs I think. I’ve watched a Bordeaux/perp game live - it was feck brutal - empty the tank & retire. That said Bordeaux was fantastic for a rugby pi$h up!!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Spot on. He owes us nathin and owes the FIRFU much less.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall