Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Contract Situation

Post by Neill_M »

More renewals, coaches this time Grant and Soper to 2023 with latter walking into Peel's job.
ulstermanabroad
Novice

Post by ulstermanabroad »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:52 pm More renewals, coaches this time Grant and Soper to 2023 with latter walking into Peel's job.
I used to play under Soper, good craic and he's got a great rugby brain- demands a lot but at a pro level its what you would expect, this somewhat forces him down the coaching path permanently though (as I think you have to recertify for teaching after a 3 year absence?) so I wonder if this will be a stepping stone for him
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Just listened to the Belfast Tele podcast thingy. Yer man Jonathan Bradley seemed to have a real downer on the Naka signing - sees Mata as being close to Coetzee and a much better fit. Also suggested he would like to have seen Naka signed as a lock, with Carter replaced and another backrower brought in , probably from Leinster.

I understand the uncertainty around Naka given his last season and dismissal by Racing, but still think this is a “risk” worth taking and we could end up seeing a great player at Ulster. Also interested to hear Bernard Jackman say last week that from what he had heard Naka was a good guy to have in the changing room and not any kind of disruptive influence.

Bradley also seemed a bit surprised about the number of contract renewals in the Covid environment although maybe the journos were miffed they didn’t get any inside scoop on it.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Bart S wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:47 pm Just listened to the Belfast Tele podcast thingy. Yer man Jonathan Bradley seemed to have a real downer on the Naka signing - sees Mata as being close to Coetzee and a much better fit. Also suggested he would like to have seen Naka signed as a lock, with Carter replaced and another backrower brought in , probably from Leinster.

I understand the uncertainty around Naka given his last season and dismissal by Racing, but still think this is a “risk” worth taking and we could end up seeing a great player at Ulster. Also interested to hear Bernard Jackman say last week that from what he had heard Naka was a good guy to have in the changing room and not any kind of disruptive influence.

Bradley also seemed a bit surprised about the number of contract renewals in the Covid environment although maybe the journos were miffed they didn’t get any inside scoop on it.
Belfast Telegraph did themselves no favours with a couple of stories re Ulster rugby in 1st lockdown.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Very true Neil. The one about Gilroy training in his driveway with someone at the start of the lockdown was really scraping the barrel. You’d think he had invited 50 mates round for a party when you read that.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I think JB makes a fair point and Ulster were seemingly close to signing Mata.

Leo seems amiable enough in interviews.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

This is the same idiot who was gushing about Marcel and his homesickness. Wrote this big article about how if anyone didn't fully support Marcel you were a moron. Maybe the penny is actually dropping about how fcuking difficult it is when a player does not fulfill their contract. Leaves a team in a position with very limited options. This tool though wants it all though. Can't have Marcel, oh sure just sign the next best import in the league. Then be disappointed when we actually a player of quality in such a uncertain climate due to covid.

Also, he can be no supporter or fan of Ulster working for that shower. Belly laugh twunts try to knife Ulster at every opportunity. In fact you must despise Ulster to work there or else you have no actual spine. Those dummies are an absolute joke anyway. They once recorded their sh1tty podcast at UR not knowing that Les Kiss was being dismissed behind the scenes. Murray Kinsella, was tweeting about the departure of Kiss nowhere near ravers.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

In fairness to the rugby guys at the BT I don’t think they had anything to do with the lockdown stuff, which was very Sunday-Life type journalism.
They were probably well hacked off with it as it will have impacted on their own relationship with Ulster rugby, as Neil has said.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Bart S wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:10 am In fairness to the rugby guys at the BT I don’t think they had anything to do with the lockdown stuff, which was very Sunday-Life type journalism.
They were probably well hacked off with it as it will have impacted on their own relationship with Ulster rugby, as Neil has said.
Nah it was ruckie

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.belfas ... 53096.html
firebell53
Novice

Post by firebell53 »

What about Jared Payne, is his contract due to be renewed?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Looks like his Ireland contract ran until 2018 which was when he joined the coaching staff.

Can’t see anything since.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:31 pm Also, he can be no supporter or fan of Ulster working for that shower. Belly laugh twunts try to knife Ulster at every opportunity. In fact you must despise Ulster to work there or else you have no actual spine. Those dummies are an absolute joke anyway. They once recorded their sh1tty podcast at UR not knowing that Les Kiss was being dismissed behind the scenes. Murray Kinsella, was tweeting about the departure of Kiss nowhere near ravers.
Dave is Ruckie is ADM - I claim my prize. :D
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Ross staying for another year. Kyle retiring apparently - pity it never quite got going for him.. Bill across the water
..one more thing
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Bobbievee wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:16 am Yep.even the London Times today had an article musing the lack of Irish international 10s, and wondering if PJs contract suspension was intended to be a life ban
Link?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Ravenhillman wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:58 pm We will miss Marcel at the breakdown. I think we are short an 8 and also an out and out 7. I don’t know if there is anyone in the academy ready to fill these slots. I had thought Marcus Rea might be the one to fill the 7 slot but not sure the management are of the same opinion. I think McCann will fill the 8 slot...but probably not for a couple of years. Any sign of other incoming backrowers?
we definitely will miss Marcel at the breakdown - I must say I don't agree with the POV that Reidy and Murphy are good at the breakdown. In fact besides Marcel a real weakness in the Ulster squad has been a real lack of poach threat.. Marcel regularly clocked 2-4 poaches a match - to take Reidy, I'd be surprised if he made 4 clean poaches a season. That's not to say he's not a good player - he is, but you pick him for 80 mins graft, big tackle count and a bit of link play, just not as a groundhog, he doesn't even get into threatening positions. This is also the case with Timoney - however when he came back into the side recently he came up with a couple of great t/os - if he can bring this into his game, it would be awesome. Murphy is decent, and actually Matty Rea has good instincts although his body shape isn't ideal. Every time Marcus has played I've thought he has gone well but he's never had a run.

McCann is a great prospect and a very complete back rower - apparently Crothers is a classic fetcher, hopefully he can come through, because it has been a very long time since Ulster produced a decent seven..
..one more thing