SIX NATIONS 2021

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: SIX NATIONS 2021

Post by Dharper »

I like Lowe, at Euro / league level. His advantages re carrying / kicking is obvious- he has obvious defensive flaws. Would I give him mountains of brad pitt & calls to discard him a la Stockdale?....no, but their are obvious work ons.

The difference between Stockdale & Lowe is about 18 tries - JS is a tested world class finisher, best I’ve seen in an Ire shirt in 30yrs. Sad state of affairs the southern media & players got off his back once “mental health” was mentioned, not hearing it Re Lowe yet, so why not?

JGP should’ve been off after 60 too, some poor mistakes.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

richardt84 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:50 pm Like the missed kick last week I suspect this incident will be used to judge the time Burns spent on the pitch. https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/sta ... 57344?s=21

Hopefully Murray K and other journalists are as quick to pick up on other errors across the team. There doesn’t seem to be the phase by phase dissection of tries conceded that usually accompany Stockdale defending like Lowe has over the past 2 games.
He has called out Keenan (and the side in general) for Lowe not making his chance count. Keenan delivered his pass way too early and didn’t draw the defender.

I think his point about Burns was more so that he was likely acting out whatever play they’d set out rather than missing the opportunity out wide. Playing the play rather than the game. Joe’s style at the end.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Simple questions: are JGP or BB gonna be in the top 5/6 players at 9/10 in the world? The clear answer is NO.....so frankly they need to be ditched. We need to be ruthless with provinces - Casey young Bryne Crowley Lowry at 10 etc.....too many blockers.
Too many “leaders” way way past their best.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

germcevoy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:05 am
richardt84 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:50 pm Like the missed kick last week I suspect this incident will be used to judge the time Burns spent on the pitch. https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/sta ... 57344?s=21

Hopefully Murray K and other journalists are as quick to pick up on other errors across the team. There doesn’t seem to be the phase by phase dissection of tries conceded that usually accompany Stockdale defending like Lowe has over the past 2 games.
He has called out Keenan (and the side in general) for Lowe not making his chance count. Keenan delivered his pass way too early and didn’t draw the defender.

I think his point about Burns was more so that he was likely acting out whatever play they’d set out rather than missing the opportunity out wide. Playing the play rather than the game. Joe’s style at the end.
It was poor by Keenan. He’s bang average but has managed to generally go under the radar so far.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Keenan has secured the 15 shirt and is the reincarnation of Rob Kearney according to da media. Big question is will hendo retain the captaincy? He should IMO and give farrell the leeway to exit sexton from the stage.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:48 am
germcevoy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:05 am

Earned himself the 15 shirt without having to do anything. That’s a talent in itself.

It was poor by Keenan. He’s bang average but has managed to generally go under the radar so far.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

jean valjean wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:56 am Keenan has secured the 15 shirt and is the reincarnation of Rob Kearney according to da media. Big question is will hendo retain the captaincy? He should IMO and give farrell the leeway to exit sexton from the stage.

Would expect Ryan to take over from Sexton. He is a guaranteed starter. Hendy is in a fight with Beirne for a jersey alongside Ryan
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Bart S wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:12 am
jean valjean wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:56 am Keenan has secured the 15 shirt and is the reincarnation of Rob Kearney according to da media. Big question is will hendo retain the captaincy? He should IMO and give farrell the leeway to exit sexton from the stage.

Would expect Ryan to take over from Sexton. He is a guaranteed starter. Hendy is in a fight with Beirne for a jersey alongside Ryan
He looked and acted like a captain the day. Ryan was very poor when he had the opportunity.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Before yesterday's match I felt we had little chance as the team must have been shattered playing with 14 for 65 minutes the previous Sunday.
I expected France to do much better than they did. We were down a lot of players, Doris, Ryan, the half backs, Stockdale. Five starters. i don't count POM in that.(also don't count Furlong as a loss as Porter has become very good.)
Compound that with 3 players going off injured in the space of a few minutes at the start of the second half.
And we were still in it at the end. POC's lineout coaching is showing up well.

I would not be as gloomy as the media this morning. Let's just get this non-season finished, get everyone vaccinated and get back to normal for next autumn.
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Only one comment to make. Can Farrell not see that, all round, the real Irishman Cooney is a better scrum half than the outsider Gibson-Park as are a couple of scrum half's from Connaught. Sorry I forgot Gibson Park plays for Leinster so a waste of time posting this comment.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Two questions

How many consider the result would have been different if the half backs had been Murray and Sexton ?

How many think the result might have been different if Jackson had been playing ?

My answer to the first is I doubt if either would have added to or been able to change the performance of the Ireland team.

My answer to the second is it might have been different --- Because Jackson would not have missed the penalty ( neither would Sexton but I doubt if the wings would have received a pass all day ) and without the French giving penalties into the corner the backs never looked like scoring and wouldn't have looked like scoring with Sexton ) ( Earls can score try if he is given the ball and space and i don't think he would have got either with Sexton )

Now if your answer to the first question is No the result would have been the same --- it poses a further question -- are either of them worthy of a central contract?
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I doubt if the pen miss was a big factor as he slotted one over just a few plays later i,e. if he had scored the first one, it is doubtful that the team would have been in position to win the 2nd.

Has to be said, kicking from the tee has been generally poor in this tournament.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Anyone heard anything re young TOTs development in camp specifically his scrummaging?
The Ire scrum is looking v decent indeed, however IF TOTs scrummaging was decent, that could free up the option of Porter back to LH.
A few ifs & buts admittedly however the idea of 60 mins of furlong & porter then Replaced with the carrying ability of TOT & Kilcoyne could inject real bite off the bench and no let up re scrum time.

Porter / Furlong sharing TH duties would give them respite but I can’t help feeling it’s a bit of a waste - and certainly as LH is a bit of a concern. Personally I’m not overly excited by Byrne from what little I’ve seen.....and EOS isn’t flavour of the month for some reason.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:28 am
Bart S wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:12 am

He looked and acted like a captain the day. Ryan was very poor when he had the opportunity.
Is Ryan a guaranteed starter, I feel the D4 meedya have him over hyped, if you take time to watch his game it's questionable, would love to know what his success is in collisions.

Beirne and Henderson combined excellently against both Wales and France. It's been one of the positives from the first two games. It gives us more mobility also. Provided we can hold our own against bigger packs I'd stick with Beirne and Henderson

Is Ryan all he is meant to be? Am I missing something.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Well I got the result right but was surprised by the closeness of the score line tbh. France were clinical. Ireland were blunt in attack but full of effort.
I must be the only one who thinks Lowe did ok. He's always a threat in attack and for me that's what I want in a winger. Same with Stockdale and Earls. Some will highlight their defensive weaknesses but ability to score is more important imo.
Played well - Stander, Henderson, Porter, Beirne, Ruddock, Lowe
Average - Herring, Burns (Byrne), Henshaw, Keenan
Disappointing - Healy (done), VDF (too light, ineffective), Jamison Park (decision making, kicking), Ringrose (runs across the pitch and takes the wingers space), Earls ( doesn't get a pass but doesn't look for work either)
I agree with a lot of previous posters. The way forward is to forget this 6 Nations and start selecting a squad now for the future. It won't happen but here's my team to play Italy with injury alternatives in brackets: Keenan, Lowe, Ringrose, Henshaw, Stockdale (Larmour), Jackson, Cooney, Stander, Connors, Ruddock, Henderson, Bierne, Furlong, Herring, Porter. Subs Heffernan, Kilcoyne, O'Toole, Ryan (Dillane),VDF, Casey, Burns, Earls
LTHG