Glasgow v Ulster Friday February 19th 7:35pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Glasgow v Ulster Friday February 19th 7:35pm KO

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:42 pm
Snipe Watson wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:26 pm
damianmcr wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:51 pmGone Gilly
Artificial pitches should have no place in rugby. They pose a massive problem for players' knees and ankles.
But . . . but . . . Sarries have one, and if they have one, it must be the best! :shock:

oh . . . yeah, sorry . . . I agree. :duh:

Apart from player welfare, they also give a massive advantage to teams used to playing on them against teams not used to them. I guess Ulster at least train on a small one, but I think the most that should be allowed is them thar ones with plastic grass through natural turf (Aviva?).
You are right about the Lansdowne Road pitch. When the technology is there to create robust, reinforced grass pitches, I don't get why they are not the default choice for all teams.
But then what would I know?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

On that showing Nakarawa would not make the match day squad. His non tackle for Marcell's non try was so powder puff, Friend's schools cup side are booking it for their next downhill adventure. Maybe he might learn a thing or two about offloading if he even arrives. I have my doubts.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
d4surfer
Novice

Post by d4surfer »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:04 pm
solidarity wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:55 pm ... can we really see Leinster dropping any points against anyone else? Actually, can we really see them not getting a full five against anyone else?
One forlorn hope might be for an Italian ref, Italian TJs and Italian TMO (especially that last one) against Zebre during the 6N.

Nah, not even that would do it ... :duh:
Leinster thrashed Zebre 3 - 0 there last season.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Big Stu seemed agitated at the final whistle, maybe because he wanted to pursue the 4th try bonus point to the death? Conversely, a silly mistake and Glasgow could have got the winnin g 4 points. Tough call, but on balance I think settling for the 4 points was right.
Can only hope Leinster don't beat us to the final by one point!!!
Keyboard Warrior
Novice

Post by Keyboard Warrior »

We had a relatively comfortable win in a place where we have routinely come away without firing a shot. On Nakarawa we are hoping to get the guy who has the ability on his day to be properly special, he has the rest of this season to get back there before we write him off. What I think tonight highlighted more than anything is that our post coetzee backrow, as seen in the second half, should able to cope without him if everything goes up the Lagan.
"Sadly, rugby is now heading the way of soccer, fueled by pitiful websites and the anonymous vitriol of cowards." Tony Ward once again refocusing away from the real problems in Irish Rugby.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Nakarawa was playing second row not back row thus i would expect his game would reflect the difference in roles in those positions.

A decent result given the factors which made a win,respectable : away from home, missing a few top players ( international call-ups and injuries ) which can affect performance ( especially in the backs ) the weather ( cold ) and finally an IFY refereeing set-up,

The Coetzee Try ? --some referees might have given it if Ulster had been playing at home , but away from home is something different and if you can't see the grounding of the ball ( and in the replays --I didn't ) a 5 yard scrum is a fair decision and like wise Madigan's early ending of the game while in possession a man down -- no scrum half -- ify ref and narrow margin scoreline -- the risk of losing is greater than the chance to win. It's called experience .

Gilroy has never been the same player since he injured his back and if you consider how long it took to heal and return his loss of form is very understandable . Those who have suffered a sore back will understand the effect it can have on your attitude .

Regarding the referee i consider that given the fact he is Scottish refereeing a Scottish side it was not perfect but better than expected-- performance 8/10 ,fairness 7/10 against different opposition I would have no objections to him. Irish referees have been worse for Ulster in similar games .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

Keyboard Warrior wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:20 am What I think tonight highlighted more than anything is that our post coetzee backrow, as seen in the second half, should able to cope without him if everything goes up the Lagan.
Still think are backrow is going to struggle. A blunt back row with our back line is truely criminal.

If we’re up against any team with a decent defensive structure we just can’t compete. Glasgow just showed us, don’t compete at the break down, reset defence and any team can nullify us.

Defensively that back row we ended up with on the field are good for fast flowing defence, but lack ball carrying and knocking players back.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We won't power through teams but with that offloading ability on display it gives us another dimension. Perhaps the signing of Nakarawa reflects Dan's desire to further explore the route of skill over bishing and bashing. Won't go down well with the FIRFU.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?