Dragons v Ulster Sat 13th March 7:35pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Dragons v Ulster Sat 13th March 7:35pm KO

Post by Neill_M »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:19 am
Hans Indaruck wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:58 am
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:42 pm

The years may have caught up on Roberts but he's still a world class carrier.

And his darts weren’t bad either - I thought he had a good game - but remember Brad’s only 25!
I was referring to Jamie Roberts taking ball and crashing down Lowrys channel looking reward.

As for our Bradley Roberts, whole heartedly agree with you Hans, theres energy comes off him I feel the team feed off. His darts were excellent. Where does that leave McBurney?
In a past life Bradley Roberts was big in Germany in 1980s and brought down the Berlin Wall with the Hoff😉
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:19 am
Hans Indaruck wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:58 am
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:42 pm

The years may have caught up on Roberts but he's still a world class carrier.

And his darts weren’t bad either - I thought he had a good game - but remember Brad’s only 25!
I was referring to Jamie Roberts taking ball and crashing down Lowrys channel looking reward.

As for our Bradley Roberts, whole heartedly agree with you Hans, theres energy comes off him I feel the team feed off. His darts were excellent. Where does that leave McBurney?
McBurney is on my list of contract status where they have not been renewed etc/unknown.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Bradley Roberts is too small. Wee Dave is just plain crap.

Thought Reid played really well when he came on, better than EOS who has been struggling in recent weeks.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I know most of you will have been following this game on your personal magic lantern shows, but as a result you may have missed Gusher MBE on the crystal set:

I think Lowry has made more tackles than any Ulster outhalf I have seen in many years; with no disrespect to Mr Ian Humphreys, back in the studio.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:27 am I know most of you will have been following this game on your personal magic lantern shows, but as a result you may have missed Gusher MBE on the crystal set:

I think Lowry has made more tackles than any Ulster outhalf I have seen in many years; with no disrespect to Mr Ian Humphreys, back in the studio.
:lol: Probably more than iHumph made in his career.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Lowry showed that defence certainly won’t be a major concern. I don’t think he missed a tackle and had a Lions great running down him all game. Big heart.

Thought Moore showed good defence and McIlroy looks a very smart player. Great decision making and cool head from the young man.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Lowry stats:
Tackles made: 16
Tackles missed: 0

He was hunting Roberts down at one point.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

I thought Lowry had a great game. He is a superb passer of the ball, is lightening fast when he makes a break and is very sound defensively.

He just needs to add some variation to his kicking and he could be overtaking Burns as first choice in a year or so.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:27 am I know most of you will have been following this game on your personal magic lantern shows, but as a result you may have missed Gusher MBE on the crystal set:

Twas part of t'reason they gave it to him on t'magic lantern show.

Think they quoted 18 tackles rather than 16, but either way, it was impressive.

Time really has caught up with Jamie Roberts - loved it when he went on a charge and was brought to an abrupt halt and driven straight back to where he started by he who apparently doesn't like to be called the Bangor Bulldozer, but it was a most apt description for that, I thought.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Off the Top wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:21 am I thought Lowry had a great game. He is a superb passer of the ball, is lightening fast when he makes a break and is very sound defensively.

He just needs to add some variation to his kicking and he could be overtaking Burns as first choice in a year or so.
You do him a disservice, he's better than Burns already.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Regarding the ref I think Dan is being a little blind to the fact the man was a bit of a homer slightly quicker to penalise Ulster than The Dragons at the break down and ensuring the game was being played in the Ulster half .

The two Ulster trys in the first half were against the run of play and refereeing,ut to be fair unlike Murphy he didn't miss any major offences by either team nor did he invent offences . Whistled sooner for one side than the other and possible too soon on occasion.

On the card front to be fair to Murphy he had a very physical game to referee where body clashes were the order of the day he could have given out more cards, and didn't' ,for illegal use of the forearm and elbow , it was his inconsistency which got up the nose and identified the fact he was an ( incompetent ?) prat.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Twas part of t'reason they gave it to him on t'magic lantern show.

Think they quoted 18 tackles rather than 16, but either way, it was impressive.

Time really has caught up with Jamie Roberts - loved it when he went on a charge and was brought to an abrupt halt and driven straight back to where he started by he who apparently doesn't like to be called the Bangor Bulldozer, but it was a most apt description for that, I thought.
If you were from Bangor would you want people knowing this?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Lowry is only getting started. We probably missed his line breaking from 15. Although Jacob wasn't bad filling in for him. Once he starts making those darts from 10 we are in business. We haven't had a running 10 in many a season. PJ was primarily a passing 10 but he also had an effective running game too. Billy and Mads will do it in bits but the running threat from Lowry is significantly better.

Stewart Moore is an excellent talent also. I do think with his strike running capacity he will settle into the 13 jersey. He has good footballing skills also. Primarily you need pace in my view to be effective in the 13 channel. He fairly has it.

Gilroy looks to have lost a yard or two of gas. There are a number of wingers ahead of him already. A fair few waiting in wings (pun intended). The likes of Sexton haven't had much of a look in as yet. Perhaps the Zebre game will offer further opportunities.

Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Lowry is technically a great tackler, the advantage of being shorter is it is harder for people to fend you off. He can get low and tackles really well, the weakness is players should be able to offload through his tackle, but that just means those beside him in the line need to be aware of that.
Attacking wise great acceleration and good passer, kicking not sure he gets a whole lotta length but decent. Exciting prospect, looking forward to seeing how he pans out.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The one that they nearly kept in during the first half seemed to have travelled a long way.

It’d be great if we could get Addison back at 15 as well.