Lions 2021

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbievee
Warrior

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Bobbievee »

Latest forecast for how many Englishmen might make it into the main Test 15.??
Last April Mcgeehan reckoned 7, and only 2 Irish. Furlong and Ryan.
Discuss
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Even if Stander doesn't get selected he will probably get a game if he's back in SA. Gatland loves a geographical call up.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

In my opinion Hendy is a shoo-in for a tour spot.
Grey Wolf
Novice

Post by Grey Wolf »

McGeehan probably won't be too far off with the English contingent. The only guaranteed started in the 15 imo is Stuart Hogg. I think Furlong is a strong probable but it's entirely possible that Ryan may miss out altogether. It's highly unlikely that Gatland will bring Beirne, Henderson, & Ryan. Only 5 locks were selected on the previous two tours I think. I'd say Itoje & Alun Wyn Jones are certs but lots of other competition.

My pack would be
1) Marler?, 2) Owens, 3) Furlong
4) Itoje, 5) Wyn Jones
6) Navidi/Curry, 7) Watson/Underhill, 8) Faletau

The back line is a complete lottery.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Gatland loves a headline in which he drops or doesn't select an irish player.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Itoje is a penalty machine. He has also become too obsessed with blocking the box kick. Saffer locks will eat him up.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:14 pm Itoje is a penalty machine. He has also become too obsessed with blocking the box kick. Saffer locks will eat him up.
I don't like him but he's a class act. He'd still be one of my first picks and as a player is well ahead of any of the other locks.

Itoje and AWJ are certs as lock. Beirne is a cert.

Could be a shoot out between Hendy and ryan for a place on the plane
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:42 pm In my opinion Hendy is a shoo-in for a tour spot.
Sounds as if Hendie is also a good tourist.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:
Dave wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:14 pm Itoje is a penalty machine. He has also become too obsessed with blocking the box kick. Saffer locks will eat him up.
I don't like him but he's a class act. He'd still be one of my first picks and as a player is well ahead of any of the other locks.

Itoje and AWJ are certs as lock. Beirne is a cert.

Could be a shoot out between Hendy and ryan for a place on the plane
I would have said this before. Perhaps it's the lack of game time. In certain 6N fixtures this year he did more harm than good. 5 penalties against Wales? He has got to the point where it seems like he cannot control himself in this regard. He has not been nearly as effective at the ruck as other forwards. He will go for the big block. It seems like it might have been a tactical ploy to keep him being further penalised around the breakdown. A great player but not at his best this year for me.

The boks have some massive dudes in the 2nd row. If the 4 countries want to defeat that 1 country then selecting the players on form will be very important.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

He needs to address his pushing of the envelope. If he cranks his game back a notch he'll be fine. He's an amazing athlete.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

At International level "Penalty Machines " are a liability , which in my book rules out the English Props and Second Row

Given the limited number of games and tour time, while it will be said that all places will be open regarding the test side. That side will identified after the first two games, MCGeechan ( in his book " when the going gets tough ")ighlighted the fact that it is essential that those not selected continue to buy into the "Lions Party " and not become disgruntled and ill disciplined and undermine the squad spirit.

Thus form is not a perquisite for selection but a willingness to be a part of the squad come hell or high water thus the choice of Captain will be important and then the fact that Gartland has a prior tour experience with many of those being indentifed as possible selections.

And while Alwyn Jones looks like the Captain the fact that the Second Row are the positions where selection could be most contested -- it may lead to the captaincy being given elsewhere.

Another factor affecting squad selection will be that some players are married and have young families and the covid situation might mean they decline the invitation putting the interests of their family first.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
He needs to address his pushing of the envelope. If he cranks his game back a notch he'll be fine. He's an amazing athlete.
Based on this 6N he doesn't appear able to do this.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:07 pm
Snipe Watson wrote:
Based on this 6N he doesn't appear able to do this.
Agreed, but context is important. He's playing in a deeply dysfunctional team and trying too hard. Put him in a balanced side and he's much more likely to deliver up to the edge rather than past it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote: Agreed, but context is important. He's playing in a deeply dysfunctional team and trying too hard. Put him in a balanced side and he's much more likely to deliver up to the edge rather than past it.
Sure Hendy plays for a dysfunctional team every week Image
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

When did Hendy last play for Ulster?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999