Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: Contract Situation

Post by Setanta »

Any news on McBurney ?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Sue Dename
Novice

Post by Sue Dename »

Setanta wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:18 pm Any news on McBurney ?
I think you'll see Edinburgh have announced his signing this morning.https://twitter.com/EdinburghRugby
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

He had a lot of promise but became a bit of a penalty machine and stalled in his progress.
Hope this move works out for him.
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

FFS. How did that happen? Letting homegrown forwards go??

Obviously player's decision at the end of the day. Perhaps he just got a better deal?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Tom Stewart will be the one to watch next season and McBurney would be at least 4th choice. Good move if Cockers gives him game time.
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I see he's scotch qualified, so that is more understandable.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

I had thought McBurney's time was up late last season when Andrew moved convincingly past him around the Pro14 final - but it's quite sad to see him go. Looked like he might have everything we needed when he came through but never kicked on as several have said. Edinburgh's a super move to him and fair play for taking the chance; hopefully doesn't go the same direction as Michael Allen/ Rory Scholes, though you could perhaps see it hapenning.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I wonder is that it now, in terms of resignings and new signings?

How does that leave us?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Unsure
Matt Faddes, Alby Mathewson, Louis Ludik, Bill Johnston, Kyle McCall

Billy Burns, John Cooney, Tom O’Toole, Stuart McCloskey, Jack McGrath, Marty Moore, Matthew Rea, Sean Reidy, Leone Nakawara, James Hume, Craig Gilroy, Marcus Rea, Angus Curtis, Eric O’Sullivan, David O’Connor, Greg Jones, Dave Shanahan, Ross Kane

Will Addison, Jordi Murphy, Rob Lyttle, Stewart Moore, Jacob Stockdale, John Andrew, Luke Marshall, Alan O’Connor, Robert Baloucoune, Aaron Sexton, Kieran Treadwell, Andrew Warwick, Nathan Doak, Rob Herring, Ian Madigan, Sam Carter, Michael Lowry, Tom Stewart, Nick Timoney, Gareth Milasinovich, Ethan McIlroy, Callum Reid, Iain Henderson, David McCann

Left
Adam McBurney (Edinburgh)
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Of what's left I would assume,

Faddes, gone
Ludik, retire
McCall, gone
Mathewson and BJ worth keeping, but I heard Johnston was off to England. Mathewson should be offered another year, hopefully.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Mcburney has stalled in the last year or so and a fresh start is probably beneficial for all. When ulster's pack was powder puff I always thought he was a spark of energy and effort, but andrews has taken over as no. 2 to herring. If Stewart is a good prospect then we need to back the younger man I feel.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:17 pm I see he's scotch qualified, so that is more understandable.
Definitely.

His granny will be able to do his washing.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jackie Brown wrote:Of what's left I would assume,

Faddes, gone
Ludik, retire
McCall, gone
Mathewson and BJ worth keeping, but I heard Johnston was off to England. Mathewson should be offered another year, hopefully.
Seems about right. It should leave us with an NIQ birth to potentially fill. I have no idea with budgets etc being knocked for six with covid, if this remains an option. I wonder what is happening with the other provinces...
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Previously reported in this thread (by KOTH and Colombo) that McCall was retiring and Bill Johnston was off across the water (which is a shame as he appeared to be coming good - certainly still has potential at only 24/25.). Louis L has hinted at retirement - he owes us absolutely nothing - one of the most consistent players we have ever had - put his body on the line every time and had good skills too. Sorry to see him go but injuries have been mounting and his body is probably telling him “enough!”.
Hope is not a strategy.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cormac Izuchukwu signed up until 2023.