Vermeulen

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Vermeulen

Post by justinr73 »

germcevoy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:35 pm
for dog and ulcer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:33 pm The problem with being an older player is the length of time taken to recover from knocks and injuries and accordingly how much time will be actually played in significant matches.
Point taken but his injury profile can’t be any worse than Marcels.
It’s much better of course. He’s a robust sort.

He’s just played two Tests against the Aussies in a week.

As the likes of Rory, Parisse and Toner have shown, if you’re durable, you’re durable.
HighlandRed
Novice

Post by HighlandRed »

Only in Ulster could we sign one of the best players playing in the world and find reason to moan.

Honestly. Think of the dross we've signed over the years who held back local talent for no obvious benefit, now think of this fella- 35 or not. He's won a world cup and still in the mix for the world champions. He's the real deal.

I'm just glad it's a saffa not a NZer who would phone it in like our last 2 All Blacks (Afoa and Piatua).

The management team have thought about it and not down a knee jerk reaction. Thumbs up all round from me.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Afoa and Piutau were both hailed as world class signings for Ulster on their arrival. Now you say they failed to deliver. Your argument appears to be that South African players won't fail for unspecified reasons. Only in Ulster could we come up with such specious nonsense and fail to even spell the names properly.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

for dog and ulcer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:09 pm Afoa and Piutau were both hailed as world class signings for Ulster on their arrival. Now you say they failed to deliver. Your argument appears to be that South African players won't fail for unspecified reasons. Only in Ulster could we come up with such specious nonsense and fail to even spell the names properly.
>clapping >appl
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Afoa put his body on the line for the team when he was here but his plea to get closer to home real was a bit much when he went to Gloucester. Piutua could turn on the star quality during his first season but in my opinion and that of many others he did not show any real commitment during his second season here.
Our erstwhile Coach mr Gibbes who pleaded family needs in NZ and who lost the plot when asked about his mid week flight to La Rochelle is another fine example of the NZ duplicity.
Jared Payne did get injured very early in his Ulster career but he was looked after by Ulster and more than repaid their treatment.
I unashamedly think he was superb player. He had the ability to insert him self effortlessly into the attack. I once heard him described as the fastest slow runner on the field in the way he glided through the opposition .
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Before making generalisations about Kiwis, I offer you the 3 minute All Black and 6 year Ulster man that was Paul Steinmetz.

Might not have been a world cup winner, but gave his all for Ulster both on the pitch and in bringing through some of our own locals.

A great role-model for any youngster starting out in the game.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

for dog and ulcer wrote:The problem with being an older player is the length of time taken to recover from knocks and injuries and accordingly how much time will be actually played in significant matches.
That would depend more so on the individual player. We have player's in their 20s who are made of glass. A reasonable sized fart would gave them a grade 2 hamstring tear.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:23 am Watching Oz vs Voks at the moment..... according to the commentators some team called Ulster have signed the Boks No.8 Duane Vermuelen :cheers:

Starting to believe
Watched the All Blacks v SA yesterday with heightened interest given the DV signing. He seems to play a particular role for them; very little ball carrying, standing defensively off mauls, occasionally leading his weight to team mates being tackled. If you havnt been looking out for him, he would have been very hard to spot!!

Others more expert in No 8 play could perhaps elaborate on all this for me

DV ( correctly) not punished for a "competing for the ball high collision" with a Barratt, and a was still going very strongly at the end....so good news on the fitness front.

Fingers crossed
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Perhaps he's trying to save himself from getting injured before he comes to us :D :thumleft:

Fingers and toes crossed
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Best player in the world to set a maul off. Ulster maul to become even better.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:59 am Before making generalisations about Kiwis, I offer you the 3 minute All Black and 6 year Ulster man that was Paul Steinmetz.

Might not have been a world cup winner, but gave his all for Ulster both on the pitch and in bringing through some of our own locals.

A great role-model for any youngster starting out in the game.
I'd add Sean Reidy currently sitting right underneath our noses as one of my favourite Kiwis ever to have played for Ulster, he gives it all. Big Nick Williams another fan favourite.

You then have the Kiwis that failed to show up Xavier Rush, Ronald Raaymakers, Tim Boys, Stephen McDonald..... :duck:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:10 pm Best player in the world to set a maul off. Ulster maul to become even better.
DV much more to the fore today in SA v AB. Involved in line out options, critical turnover at 79.56 to regain possession, and I won't say the score in case others still catching up. Incredible match; pace; intensity, skill. In fact all the things missing from the UR v Zebre game!

He also played the full 80 minutes again, and was in the heart of many of the SA mauls. In his defensive role, standing off the maul, was at one point rounded by Bauden Barrett as if he wasn't there................but then that happens to a lot of people!

Cant wait!
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Read he is in the Barbarians squad to play a Samoa XV on November 27 (same day as Leinster v Ulster). Had thought he would join up with Ulster squad after South Africa v England on Nov 20.
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Hi Neill
Might be postponed if they cant get a suitable team together see below.

Samoa have announced they have withdrawn from three November matches in Europe due to coronavirus travel problems.

“The decision by the Lakapi Samoa Board was taken in line with the relevant Samoa Government’s Health Special Travel Advice and recognise further Covid-related challenges in relation to players based in New Zealand,” the governing body said in a statement.

The Pacific Islanders were scheduled to face Georgia, Spain and the Barbarians next month.

The statement said discussions were being held over fielding a ‘Manu Samoa selection’ side with players who are able to travel for the BaaBaas fixture on November 27.

Manu Samoa Sevens have also pulled out of two Sevens World Series legs in Dubai in November and December.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Tests positive on day of arrival.