Autumn International squad

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Autumn International squad

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:10 am
jean valjean wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:48 pm
Snipe Watson wrote:
Dublin4 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:51 pm OK Ireland won but it was a poor performance against a limited All Blacks team. Ireland to be found out in the 2023 World Cup as usual when it really matters.
How do they fill the stadium with that kind of stuff?
Beats me.
I thought it was a really good Ireland performance. They dominated just about every aspect of the game bringing massive pressure and forcing errors. My main criticism would be lack of clinical finishing which kept NZ in it.
Lowe is still a one trick pony.
Lowes one trick has got him well ahead of stockdale. Over to Jacob to respond in the next few months.
Jacob isn't playing international standard rugby. For me, Rob Balou is the future on the wing.
Correct - but even he needs to learn from Jacob's mistakes.

A career (or even a lifetime) is not long enough to learn only from your own mistakes. You need to learn from those of others too.

Rob's defence needs to tighten up as much as Jacob's does.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:47 am
Dave wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:36 am Jacob isn't playing rugby at all. He's been injured for months and still people claim he is out of form.
He has missed four games I believe. His last year or more has been below par.
Part of Jacob's problem (apart from defence) is that he's still being compared to the Jacob of his breakthrough year when everything he touched turned to gold. That is almost impossible to maintain, but in recent times he hasn't looked even remotely close to it.

It doesn't help of course that for a winger to shine, he needs to get the ball in his hands, and that depends as much on others as it does on himself. The way Jacob has been played means that more often than not he gets his hands on the ball in a defensive position with team mates in front of him, rather than going forward with teammates in support of him and giving him options.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:36 am Jacob isn't playing rugby at all. He's been injured for months and still people claim he is out of form.
Such a lazy take. He has shown steady improvement to his all round game. Fielding, tackling, positional play etc. Also played out of position at times. Many opposition sides have adjusted their defensive setup to counter his chip n chase. The lazy take is, no spectacular try so no form. I'm sick of it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:12 pm
Snipe Watson wrote:
Such a lazy take. He has shown steady improvement to his all round game. Fielding, tackling, positional play etc. Also played out of position at times. Many opposition sides have adjusted their defensive setup to counter his chip n chase. The lazy take is, no spectacular try so no form. I'm sick of it.
Not remotely lazy analysis Dave.
I'll agree that defence etc have improved as he has matured, but at the same time his attacking potency has suffered.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

A great performance but one slightly forward pass away from being beaten all the same. Also alarmed at how over the top the celebrations are each time the all blacks are defeated. All Blacks just shaking hands at full time enjoying themselves whereas the whole of Ireland is getting on like it was a Grand Slam.

And where is that Aviva atmosphere during every match that isn’t the all blacks? The place is like a wake otherwise. 40k in for Japan and scores of tickets still available for next week. All very obsessive this All Blacks thing.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

germcevoy wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:49 pm A great performance but one slightly forward pass away from being beaten all the same. Also alarmed at how over the top the celebrations are each time the all blacks are defeated. All Blacks just shaking hands at full time enjoying themselves whereas the whole of Ireland is getting on like it was a Grand Slam.

And where is that Aviva atmosphere during every match that isn’t the all blacks? The place is like a wake otherwise. 40k in for Japan and scores of tickets still available for next week. All very obsessive this All Blacks thing.
Third win ever against the ABs (second in reality) so I get the celebrations.
Nobody goes over the top with post match reactions like the Irish. The southern media will be overreacting no doubt feeding the hysteria beast.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I wouldn't swop stockdale for lowe in ulster but the ball is in his court to rise to the challenge. Fair play to lowe, he lost some weight and worked on the things he was told to. Jacob needs to get fit and demonstrate his qualities in this next block of games against good opposition.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

I can’t wait to see Stockdale back. Now that Keenan has bailed down the 15 shirt hopefully Stockdale can get to work as a predominant winger who can cover full back in a pinch. His name should hold well against the likes of Lowe, Earls, Larmour and Conway when he is available for selection.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

germcevoy wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:45 pm I can’t wait to see Stockdale back. Now that Keenan has bailed down the 15 shirt hopefully Stockdale can get to work as a predominant winger who can cover full back in a pinch. His name should hold well against the likes of Lowe, Earls, Larmour and Conway when he is available for selection.
Keenan has been edgy and good at 15 and it is good for Jacob to have him there because it clarifies the situation. I like Jacob as an aggressive north-south runner, but didn't like him at 15. He's not a shifty illusive glider in the mould of Will Addison.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
I'll agree that defence etc have improved as he has matured, but at the same time his attacking potency has suffered.
What analysis? It's complete laziness. His attacking form has been in an upward trajectory in the last year. He has been putting together some improvements in his metres going forward. More line breaks whilst not necessarily touching the ball down as much. See for example the try scored by Alby against the dragons, where Jacob basically went the length of the field to assist the try.

People compare him to the 2018 grandslam performances. He was the best player in that 6N. Opposition sides have focused on closing down his options. We've seen teams send their 9 into cover with their fullback to prevent his signature chip n chase. His form did dip following this. He also seemed to be affected mentally following the non try versus Leinster in the QF 2019. He is heavily trolled online at times.

His post pandemic rugby was much improved. He notched up some excellent displays back at 11 with Lowry at 15, Baloucoune at 14. Played really well in the back end of last seasons Parker Pen run.

Lowe has played really well this weekend. The best kiwi on the pitch. I hope it spurs Jacob on to continue to improve.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:39 pm
Snipe Watson wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
What analysis? It's complete laziness. His attacking form has been in an upward trajectory in the last year. He has been putting together some improvements in his metres going forward. More line breaks whilst not necessarily touching the ball down as much. See for example the try scored by Alby against the dragons, where Jacob basically went the length of the field to assist the try.

People compare him to the 2018 grandslam performances. He was the best player in that 6N. Opposition sides have focused on closing down his options. We've seen teams send their 9 into cover with their fullback to prevent his signature chip n chase. His form did dip following this. He also seemed to be affected mentally following the non try versus Leinster in the QF 2019. He is heavily trolled online at times.

His post pandemic rugby was much improved. He notched up some excellent displays back at 11 with Lowry at 15, Baloucoune at 14. Played really well in the back end of last seasons Parker Pen run.

Lowe has played really well this weekend. The best kiwi on the pitch. I hope it spurs Jacob on to continue to improve.
Fair enoughski. I don't see it exactly like that. Maybe I'm too hard to please...... >crazy1
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I have started to appreciate Keenan at full back initially he was a green horn but has become more assured in the role although his ability to tackle one on one has seldom been tested .

Stockdale has had a couple of lean seasons especially with Ireland due to a lack of the ball going out to the wing and the fact he when playing for Ireland was never given the freedom of the pitch in the same manner as Lowe == the instructions seem to have been your on the wing stay there unless cross field defence is required -- and make sure you get there fast thus easier to avoid by over commitment .

similarly Stockdale like Earls is a straight for the try line runner Lowe is as I pointed out before is a, Leinster imported Gilroy, very jinkie changes direction and pace although Lowe might kick a ball further .A good player but not great.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

He is too bulky slow and predictable now. Throw in his defensive frailties and I was surprised that he himself was disappointed that he didn't get a call up to the Lions. No chance.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Back to the overall performance on this thread. If Ulstermen had scrummaged like that, line jumped like that ( one did) , Jackalled like that, kicked penalty from inside their own half, tackled like Lowe............. we would think all was well with the world.
Very silent here on all these qualities And very
Churlish not to recognise and applaud them
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Bobbievee wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:17 am Back to the overall performance on this thread. If Ulstermen had scrummaged like that, line jumped like that ( one did) , Jackalled like that, kicked penalty from inside their own half, tackled like Lowe............. we would think all was well with the world.
Very silent here on all these qualities And very
Churlish not to recognise and applaud them
Interestingly the staunchest criticism on here is from Dublin 4. Maybe he was having a bad day :lol:
My default position towards the IRFU one of antipathy. But even a curmudgeon like me can find it in his heart to give credit where deserved, which I did, effusively, for me.