What annoys people????

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: What annoys people????

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:02 am Be a fûcking outlier!
I've got a couple of friends doing exactly that. Very inspirational. Good luck anyway Rum. Doesn't sound as if yer going to give up the fight.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Modern LED " fairy Lights " they deny you the memories of Christmases past.
When took the lights out of the box of decorations and the first task was to make them work
Plug them in and "No show Joe " Tighten the bulbs -- same result--- look in the box for spare bulbs -- and then start the long and tedious task of testing each Bulb only to be disturbed every 15 minutes by the other half -- "Have you got the lights working yet ? until "Are they still not working what's keeping you? "

Check the plug fuse --- bingo-- enough to justify the joy of several whiskeys
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I remember my dad suffering in a similar fashion although the most he was allowed was a cup of tea.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:50 am Normal GP tests consist of PSA and and a DRE, a fail of either or both will result in a referral to a consultant. An abnormal PSA less than 10 it is basically 3-1 against cancer, greater than 10 the odds reduce to 50/50 . The modern assessment is then ultra sound and/ or MRI prior to biopsy which is TPUS rather than TRUS which has a higher rate of infection which reduces the number of cores sampled --which may result in a cancer being missed .

My prostate being large required over 30 biopsy cores with cancer found in 2 ,unfortunately the cancer was found to be aggressive and still awaits to staged, based on further tests . Type, location, and nature are known, the unknown is spread.

The nature of the cancer , my age and general health define and to some extent limit the form of treatments which have yet to fully identified and are subject to result of an outstanding test ( already taken )
Genuinely sorry to read all that Rumn. My own path has been somewhat similar to your own except that I am a bit younger and my biopsies showed pre-cancerous changes rather than cancerous. I have been considerably luckier than you - there is no guarantee my pre-cancerous changes will indeed proceed to cancer, but bears keeping a watchful eye on it for if/when it does. I've also started treatment that will hopefully mitigate against cancer and has shrunk my prostate and made it a lot easier to have a pee. So I've swapped bladder retention for near incontinence. :shock: (do we have a crossed legs emoji?)

I've had over 50 cores taken by both TRUS and (a few years later) TPUS - as you say TPUS is more modern and has several advantages, but not all urologists are using it yet. We do have excellent consultant urologists in Norn Iron, so even if offered a TRUS ( :shock: pardon the pun) procedure, it will still give excellent results.

Re TH Prod's position, I'm glad mate that you found out early and are doing well. I would suggest though that anyone reading this who is under 60 but over 50 that they go and get their PSA checked too. As you say, there are other reasons why PSA can be elevated so fear not if it is raised a bit, it could be inflammation, or even a by-product of certain exercises or practices. Best to avoid cycling for a few days before your blood test, or anything penetrating the anal passage - surgical or sexual - also for at least a few days before the blood test. :?

But do remember, more men die with prostate cancer than from prostate cancer and that trend is going even more in that direction as treatments and diagnoses improve. It is anticipated that for many men with prostate cancer, this will become a chronic illness with monitoring and treatment, who will die of other causes in their old age rather than because of the cancer.

My problem now is that having pre-cancerous prostatic lesions diagnosed, slightly elevated blood pressure now being well controlled and every few years a few more bits of my colon removed while they are in their early stages (mostly low grade dysplasia but there have been some more advanced on the cancer pathway), I'm running out of parts of my body that aren't under regular checks and maybe need to find some other way for me to shuffle off this mortal coil. (I also have to make sure I don't have me PSA checked within a day or two of having a colonoscopy - see above. :shock: )

Look after yersels gennulmen - as I intend living forever and have several hospitals actively helping me in that, I will need people like yousuns to keep windin me up for some time to come. :D

Live long and prosper Gennulmen. My thoughts and prayers are with you - and all others on this forum facing serious health issues. :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:34 am
rumncoke wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:19 am It's when you've two hands in plaster that you find out who you friends are.

Only another day------ maybe with 'a plastic dick in a bag' and four days of silently screaming at the toilet bowl
What are you posting with? :scratch:
Wish you hadn't written that Merv - it really made me laugh out loud - not something you want to be doing when you've cracked ribs from falling on a brass knob on the end of the bed. :shock:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:43 pm Late fitness test scheduled before the game against Sarries?
Rumn??? :scratch:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:14 pm
BR wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:40 pm IIRC Merv is quoting the promise/oath thing that you took before you got the wee purple badge.
Lurgan Lad is quoting the wee rallying call done each night.
Was the law a list of 10 (???) including 'to help other people', 'to do a good deed every day', ...

Yes I was a sixer (yellow) - and then 2 of us (me and Robert from green six) were promoted to 'Senior Sixer' which I believe was an invention of our own pack - a sort of Sergeant Major/Warrant Officer role - where we weren't attached to a particular six - so we got to wear leather woggles and most importantly long trousers.

I did some googling re the badges and it seems the badges progressed from red to yellow to green. I recall having an armful of red and a couple of yellow, not sure if I ever got a green. Jack of all trades; master of none - story of my life.

What were the bronze/silver/gold arrows for? There was also a couple of other general achievement badges (link badge, ...???) There was some award I put in peril when I was suspended for punching someone's lights out one night. Personally I thought I deserved my boxing badge, but his ma didn't see it the same. The whole escapade probably did earn me my diplomacy badge though.

Most of my mates were BB, so, even with the oath to god and the queen - I was pretty much seen as an atheist.
Aye, the BB were almost the youth wing of the Salvation Army - a lot of religion and drill. Our church was BB but my Ma was ex Girl Guides so sent me to the Cubs instead. Seemed like a better deal to me. We did a lot more outdoorsy Ray Mears type stuff and no religion

Th arrows were a longer project which typically took about year for each stage. You had to complete about a dozen separate and varied tasks to gain the badge and it got progressively harder from bronze to gold - a bit like kiddy Duke of Edinburgh. Our pack focussed on the arrows whereas others seemd to be more into the proficiency badges.

Oh aye. I do remember somebody getting busted down from Sixer to Seconder for calling somebody a "big spastic" :lol: - not me I hasten to add (neither the "big spastic" or the offender)
I was BB man and boy - grew up going to BB at the top of the Shankill in Belfast at the height of the troubles. A lot of boys had the option of BB and/or UDA/Shankill Butchers. Sadly we had one guy who was all three. :shock: Another left the BB and when a bit older got mixed up with UDA. Ended up dead courtesy of his own organisation for carrying out an unauthorised murder who turned out not to be catholic as he thought, but simply a drunk protestant woman in the wrong place and time. :(

Later I was a hofficer in same company (BB not UDA), and later still Lieutenant in two companies in the New town of the Ards, and finally captain (or was that cap'n?)

Certainly when in Newtownards, I encouraged and promoted a lot of the outdoors stuff. Did a lot of camping hiking etc in the Mournes and other areas in hills or around coasts. We including kids with special needs and/or medical problems. The mix of able-bodied with those less fortunate worked well, with the fitter guys being permitted to cover less ground for their Duke of Ed etc but carrying heavier loads for their less able buddies - all pre-planned and pre-approved with DoE Scheme organisers. It was great seeing someone with Downes Syndrome who had never considered DoEd scheme start out and attain gold. Duke of Ed organisers encouraged it, but BB headquarters in Norn Iron opposed it, so I went over their heads and wrote to BB HQ in England and got their approval. :D

Despite 40+ years man and boy in BB, I would admit that different BB companies can be completely different in programme etc from one another - all very dependent on the skills and outlook of the officers in each company. I would also be the first to admit that BB isn't for every boy, nor is scouting for every boy. I have made myself unpopular in some BB circles by suggesting such a thing given that many BB officers have little regard for scouting and vice-versa. Just as boys (and girls) are all different, so are BB companies and scout units, and I would encourage any boy to try both and stick with whichever the prefer. I have known several who attended both and benefited from both for many years.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:51 am It reminded me of an old story of a man selling a country cottage with an out side loo .and a buyer commented that it was doorless to which the old man replied " I lived here 60 years and more and nobody stolen a bucket of pi$h yet"
and you don't want a door slowing you down when the treatment for your prostate means rather than waiting ages to pass a thimble full, you charge to the loo and hope to get there in time to prevent yourself getting a leg full. :oops:
I'm not arguing -
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Are you binge reading threads Capn?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Go to see my Oncologist sometime soon it appears that the hot flushes of hormone therapy may have been worth it and I am now ready for the good news /bad news of radiation therapy -- the side effects the dreaded 3Bs of bowel bladder and bonking not to be confused with the 3Bs of pregnancy -- belly boobs and bum. ( Hormone Therapy an euphemism for Chemical Castration you can refer to me as a fruitful b-llox anymore )

CT and MRI scans seemed have provided some good news as well

I would suggest that while, I have and still do pay taxes towards the running of the NHS , before you start complaining about it always remember your treatment is being paid for by someone else .

Captain regarding the Urologists I would concur the one I was referred to ( a foreign gent ) was excellent with a super bedside manner and I have met consultants who virtually ignore you while talking over you ,to staff, about you . Although I had an excellent inside source who informed me that he and his house man were excellent prior to attending .

PS should have got fitted for an oversized catheter years ago now pee like the Lagan in flood ( but honesty must prevail 3 weeks with that Catheter rank as about the most painful 3 weeks of my life -- I never knew when a bladder spasm would hit and I have some squeamish photos of blood clots in the Catheter bag )
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:01 am
big mervyn wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:34 am
rumncoke wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:19 am It's when you've two hands in plaster that you find out who you friends are.

Only another day------ maybe with 'a plastic dick in a bag' and four days of silently screaming at the toilet bowl
What are you posting with? :scratch:
Wish you hadn't written that Merv - it really made me laugh out loud - not something you want to be doing when you've cracked ribs from falling on a brass knob on the end of the bed. :shock:
Sympathies Grumps. Yes. Experienced that twice in recent years. Fell in the garden and slipped in the bath. Blimey I sound like a right old codger :lol: Laughter is to be avoided. Even worse is the dreaded sneeze. The buggers take time to heal too.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

your relations and friends -- who well intentioned -- keep saying --- think ---positive

you know that"" if you throw sh-t long enough at the fan ---- the greater the chance of hitting it'

and at 70+ you've thrown a lot of sh-t

Remember folks only a pessimist knows the joy of fears unfounded
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:11 am Are you binge reading threads Capn?
No, just this one.

Hadn't looked in here for a long time and usually there's about one post a month, but this time people had lost the run of themselves ...

... quite understandably, I hasten to add.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:17 am your relations and friends -- who well intentioned -- keep saying --- think ---positive
A lot of well intentioned friends and relatives who try to make you feel better and constantly ask about your symptoms . . .

. . . until in their eyes, it seems you are no longer a person, merely a disease or a set of symptoms.

Have put up with that for years since I broke my back,having previously injured my neck in gymnastics and rugby accidents, but even though I fortunately recovered with no lasting damage to the cord, I now have several discs out. The minute someone sees me in any sort of pain, they feel they must ask about my back. Worse still are people who know me a bit less well and was soon as they meet, feel compelled to greet me by asking how my back has been.

Never just, "How are you?" Always "How's your back?" I have turned from being a person, to just a back. A back with problems. And of course the follow up question is, "Have you tried .......?" "No, I've never even considered even taking a paracetamol in the last 30+ years since it happened - I thought I was just meant to put up with the pain, especially as it has got much worse in recent years!" :shock: :roll: (But yes, I have tried everything the Pain Clinic, the physios, the orthopaedic guys, and every other medical professional has suggested - I'm not soooo stoopid not to have thought of whatever it is that you in your well intentioned way have just this minute thought of). :?

I confess it sometimes makes me a tad grumpier as I try to think, "They're trying to be nice", but it does get tiresome at times.

Grumpy?

Me?

Yep!!!

So, I will leave you with a well intentioned "Best wishes Rumn". You will never be just a set of symptoms to us - you have given plenty of good sport over the years, and taken a lot in return, but we will gladly think positively for you . . . if that helps at all. :salut:
I'm not arguing -
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

After the first MRI scan I had a telephone consultation regarding the results -- ie we need to do a CT scan and then a biopsy --TPUS nothing to worry about --- how many cores -- Having had a 12 core TRUS previously --and nearly suffering AUR ( a lot of googling folks ) he said 24 maybe more -- (oh sh-t) -- end of conversation ---- about 2 minutes later -- he phones me back ---- "Do you have a sore back" for the uninformed -- one of the first places of major spread of Prostate cancer is frequently the spine and bones . ( another oh sh-t moment ) --Why --- ? The MRI showed some wear and tear .

Truth is I have had a bad back for several years with intermittent periods of minor and severe pain and Normal take two Paracetamol in the morning which seems to control the situation -- many would consider back pain is a mind over matter situation thus if you reduce the possibility early in the morning you could be pain free the rest of the day -- some times it works sometimes it fails .

Just wear and tear -- -- --- ? " Yes' --- --" Well sometimes it's sore some times its not and i take a couple of Paracetamol to control it its been that way for a couple of years or more ? " -- "Nothing to worry about you'll get a letter regarding the pelvis CT Scan in a couple days Bye " ---- (Sh-T)

The Ct Scan showed nothing

Back to the present day have to have a "Planning CT Scan " shortly with a 20 day course of Radiation Therapy in the New Year previous MRI and CT scans revealed nothing to worry about so basically it appears to be stage 2 aggressive cancer rather than Stage 4

Stage 2 is curable ( with possible life time side effects --- note possible not probable ) Stage 4 is incurable but treatable and with a possible 10 year survival time.