Clermont v Ulster Saturday Dec 11 5:30pm (UK Time)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Clermont v Ulster Saturday Dec 11 5:30pm (UK Time)

Post by StandUp »

Has Mads taken a dump on Dan’s desk?
Not even a bench spot this year?
I know they are trying to develop for the future but still….
Experience is hard to beat.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

StandUp wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:11 am Has Mads taken a dump on Dan’s desk?
Injured I think?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

So are we brill now? Or is it: one bad game, one good game time again. Connacht, Leinster, Ospreys, Clermont....
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

thecrouch wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:18 am
StandUp wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:11 am Has Mads taken a dump on Dan’s desk?
Injured I think?
Nope
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:21 am So are we brill now? Or is it: one bad game, one good game time again. Connacht, Leinster, Ospreys, Clermont....
We’ll find out on Friday I guess.

Would be a bit lame if the Saints threw in the towel at this stage. Lawes should be available.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Dave wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:21 am So are we brill now? Or is it: one bad game, one good game time again. Connacht, Leinster, Ospreys, Clermont....
Be happy Dave.

Jonno Gibbes is sitting at home tonight with a big sour bake on him. Hear hear to that. >drinks
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

thecrouch wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:27 am
Be happy Dave.

Jonno Gibbes is sitting at home tonight with a big sour bake on him. Hear hear to that. >drinks
:cheers: >seeya Made my night!!
I fear Dave might be right but I very much hope he is Rumsplaining >drink1
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Be happy Dave.

That assumes Jono has discovered where “home” actually is these days.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Bart S wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:49 am
Be happy Dave.

That assumes Jono has discovered where “home” actually is these days.
:lol:

He knows where it's not anyway. :fleg:
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:08 am He’s had limited minutes at 10 but I don’t think Mikey has shown us much from that position at all to date.

He should have another good run at 15 now although losing our best wide defender (by the look of it) is not ideal.
Lowry is Ulster’s best 15 in the absence of Addison but from a team perspective the form of Burns at 10 is a big concern. I don’t think Burns will ever be good enough tbh but he has been consistently poor recently. We need to find an alternative at 10 and there are others who can play 15 adequately at this level. Lowry has not had any run of games at 10 so very difficult to judge.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Bart S wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:35 am
jean valjean wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:19 pm Was impressed with JJ today. Wonder if he fancies another crack in Ireland when his contract ends. Always had the talent , maybe he just needed a bit more development outside munster.
JJ had chances at Munster and Northampton and could not establish himself as consistent first choice. May be a bit better than Billy right now but not what Ulster need.
Surely the only reason he'd come back to Ireland would be to try and get a few caps?
So he wouldn't be coming to Ulster.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

StandUp wrote:
Be happy Dave.

:cheers: >seeya Made my night!!
I fear Dave might be right but I very much hope he is Rumsplaining >drink1
I'm only asking the big questions.

I'm very happy with the win.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Well that was unexpected . . . Super performance from the lads. Thought the wheels were coming off after 60mins but like against Leinster we somehow dug in, which for me was probably the most pleasing aspect of yesterday.

I feel Barnes gave us a relatively easy ride at scrum time (thank God), many an other ref would have pinged us and would have shifted the momentum. Really happy to see our locks and BR working well as combinations. Our backrow strength is the best its been for a long time. Centres and back 3 all really impressive as well.

The elephant in the room is 10.

I personally don't think moving Lowry to 10 FT is a good idea. He's playing really well at 15, makes his tackles, competent under the high ball for a small fella and adds so much when attacking from deep.

Looking elsewhere in the squad you have Madigan who is competent but does he still have the hunger after being a journeyman for a number of years? Angus Curtis is listed as a FH/Centre but is too injury prone to be a ST/MT/LT solution.

So we are left with Billy. He wasn't great yesterday or last week. He frequently has brainfarts. But tbf he does have the ability to play well as we've seen over the years.

In reality we will never win anything with a flakey player at 10, but given that it seems we are stuck with Burns, Dan McF needs to be asking himself how do I design a gameplan around our limitation. I think our recent focus on hard carrying 1 out runners to get the defence going backwards is part of it. But imo we need Lowry coming into the line more often in attack at first receiver to give opposition props something to think about. Billy isn't a threat with the ball so let him distribute. But there must occassionaly be a threat at 10, and Lowry can fill that void from time to time imo.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:56 pm With the six two split on the bench was there a scenario whereby Doak was going to out half if need be?
I would have thought that so long as Cooney wasn't the injured player going off, that He would have gone to 10 and Doak would have played 9

So many comments here still about Billy, with many still so critical of him. You'd think from some of those that he was the reason we lost to Leinster and to Clermont. I agree he's not the best 10 around, and we should always be looking for better, no matter who we have signed, but guys, you don't win against those two teams away from home by playing as poor an outhalf as some seem to be making out to be. Billy's had a decent couple of games, hasn't set the house on fire, but decent. And yes, of course I would love Paddy to be in there, and yes, we may have won those two matches more convincingly if he had been playing, but guys, we've had two great results (and a poor one in between), so maybe instead of looking to criticise, why not just just enjoy the moment. Anyone looking in here would think we lost yesterday and it was all Billy's fault.

Awaits incoming. :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The opinion that Lowry Is not big enough to play out half is still valid --- it has nothing to do with skill etc -- it is the fact that he would invite the Late tackle --- by a player without half his ability --- the game on Saturday makes that opinion more valid --- no team can afford or be built round a player especially , out half who may spend six weeks a year recovering from injury --- Ok I admit Sexton at Leinster might seem to to disprove the argument but Leinster are no longer built round Sexton -- Ireland maybe in the short term but not Leinster.

It was a nice win away from Home which all to easily could have been thrown away by stupid kicking away possession in the second half Clermont are not a team to kick the ball to and allow them space to run the ball back -- too many big backs who will hit the gain line at pace and with their bulk create the power to break the tackle -- a very dangerous tactic --- Ulster lost the lead in the second half

IMHO the man of the match was JJ which seems a bit strange for an Ulster supporter to say but the fact is the result from an Ulster point of view was a team effort with cameos by Lowry Hume ,McCLoskey solid performance with the boot by Cooney .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist