Clermont v Ulster Saturday Dec 11 5:30pm (UK Time)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Clermont v Ulster Saturday Dec 11 5:30pm (UK Time)

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:19 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:21 pm I have outlined why I don't rate him. If you do, go ahead and tell us why. We don't have to agree of course, but perhaps I will learn something from your perspective. I haven't read anyone slagging him off for being not world class, that certainly wasn't my point so I have no response to that.
The impression I get is if someone's not world class, then they're rubbish, which I just don't get.
I presumed you were referring to me when you wrote "You can't make the broad assumption that he must be good because we won".
I never said he was good - I said he was decent. He certainly wasn't bad - we wouldn't have won if he had been. It took a team performance and that includes No10. Of course all that is relative to where you set the benchmark.

I think we are in agreement that we all want a better player than Billy as our first choice 10 - I'm just saying it's not gonna happen and getting behind Billy and pushing him to keep playing his best is better than slagging him off. Let's be honest, if we had him as our #10 understudy, he's probably as good as many teams' backup outhalf and better than some.

That's where I rate him. If you don't rate him at all that's your choice.
I said the parts of his game that I think are poor. He also makes too many mistakes. He was awful against Connacht. I'm not just choosing to say that. I didn't see any defending him. He is capable of good performances but we don't see it enough.

Once again, I don't know who is asserting 'if someone's not world class, then they're rubbish', so I can't help with that.
It’s an interesting one.

Harry Byrne had been absolute tom kite every time I’ve seen him this season yet he’s in the Ireland squad.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Justin

You haven't watch the last couple of games for Leinster Byrne (H) has been a yard and and half better the Burns> Admittedly Byrne has been playing to a script with very little ad libbing necessary.

Mostly passing the ball to be pre determined receivers and very little kicking necessary and behind a pack going forward but the back line has performed outside him basically because they have been playing a deep back line .

Ulster are playing mostly a flat back line game which makes the task much harder for an out half -- there is very little time to vary the game and options are quickly lost due rush defences at obvious receivers.

My major criticism of Burns is that he tends to run across the pitch away from on coming tacklers and play across the pitch and as a consequence those outside him continue to run across the field instead of up field -- by doing so they run from their support and reduce the space available to players outside them and bring the defence across the field with them. thus when Player gets tackled he is frequently isolated and caught as "failing to release "

My major contribution would that at the moment Burns' kicking has been poor too long and not contestable and seldom into space .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
kUD
Novice

Post by kUD »

Joe Schmo wrote:
Can’t find it, just loads of stupid live streams. Anyone got links or the search term they used? Ta.
Try this
https://url of your favorite Google owned video site/cp2cHgM26p0
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

kUD wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:17 am
Joe Schmo wrote:
Can’t find it, just loads of stupid live streams. Anyone got links or the search term they used? Ta.
Try this
https://url of your favorite Google owned video site/cp2cHgM26p0
:fleg: >appl
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:55 am Capt

it is and has always been my reason not to play Lowry at 10
Really? :scratch:

You might have said. :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I have always said he was too small and would be A Target for a late tackle -- if that is not stating the fact I think he would be frequently injured and therefore I believe it is obvious I consider his welfare would be at stake.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:50 am I have always said he was too small and would be A Target for a late tackle -- if that is not stating the fact I think he would be frequently injured and therefore I believe it is obvious I consider his welfare would be at stake.
You've got a point there*.

Playing him at 10, and all the tackles would be late.

The latest we normally play at is 8, but more normally about half past 7.

* as your point relates to '10', you must have a decimal point. >EW
I'm not arguing -
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Anyone know if there were any citings after last weekend's games? I can't find and mention of it anywhere.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

pwrmoore wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:09 am Anyone know if there were any citings after last weekend's games? I can't find and mention of it anywhere.
Nothing listed here anyway https://www.epcrugby.com/2021/12/14/dis ... round-1-5/

I thought they would at least review the tip tackle and possibly Raka's fingers in Kane' s eyes. Normally even accidental contact with the eyes gets a ban.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:25 am
rumncoke wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:50 am I have always said he was too small and would be A Target for a late tackle -- if that is not stating the fact I think he would be frequently injured and therefore I believe it is obvious I consider his welfare would be at stake.
You've got a point there*.

Playing him at 10, and all the tackles would be late.

The latest we normally play at is 8, but more normally about half past 7.
Is there any way to put a loud groan into a post?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Can you imagine sitting in the stand inbetween these two?!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bobbievee wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:40 pm Can you imagine sitting in the stand inbetween these two?!
No. :D
I'm not arguing -
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:58 pm
Bobbievee wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:40 pm Can you imagine sitting in the stand inbetween these two?!
No. :D
Stereo wisdom. :thumleft: :thumleft: