Ulster v Leinster Saturday March 12th 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 1 & TG4

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

allezlesverres
Initiate

Re: Ulster v Leinster Saturday March 12th 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 1 & TG4

Post by allezlesverres »

jean valjean wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:02 am
UlsterNo9 wrote:Going into this in good form but still massive underdogs. We've won two of our last twelve against Leinster, mind you only three of those fixtures were at home, the rest in Dublin.

A win of any description would be another step in the right direction.

The task on Saturday is gigantic, talk of laying down a marker seems naive or maybe clouded by some of the great results we have achieved this season. More than happy to be proven wrong.
Leinster won't be any stronger than they were at the rds earlier in the season while we should be around the same strength depending on releases from Ireland camp. I don't see us as underdogs with the form and confidence shown lately and expect a win on Saturday night. Its time to shake off the plucky ulster tag and be a team that's taken seriously even with a few key players missing.
My prediction is that we will get no players bar possibly Treadwell released as Leinster will appeal to the IRFU to even the stakes by holding back Ulster players even though they have no intention of putting them in the Ireland team. That being the case, we will end up with something like:

Warwick, Andrew, Moore, AOC, Treadwell, Jordi, Rea, Vermeulen, Cooney, BB, Moxham, Big Stu, Little Stew, ?Lyttle/Sexton, Gilroy

If that ends up being our back 3, our aerial game and wide defence will be sorely tested.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

The Leinster starting xv is likely to only have 1 player who would make their 1st choice xv (I'd argue here that Ryan Baird is still not a starting lock for them otherwise it could be zero.

For Ulster it's only 7 1st choice players- the back 3, 13, hooker, 1 lock and 1 backrower. Even if unavailable Tredwell would be no more a 1st choice player than Ryan Baird.

Ulster really should win this if they want to be credible challengers as the returnees will make Leinster a lot stronger.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

What happened to Warwick last week - he was named in the starting XV wasn’t he?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:41 pm What happened to Warwick last week - he was named in the starting XV wasn’t he?
11th hour change during the warm up etc.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Wonder if we’ll see McIlroy?
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

My prediction for the lineup, assuming we don't get any of our Ireland players back:

1. Warwick, 2. Andrew, 3. M Moore
4. A O'Connor, 5 Carter
6. Marcus Rea, 7. Murphy, 8. Vermeulen
9. Cooney, 10. Burns
11. Moxham, 12. McCloskey, 13. S. Moore, 14. Gilroy
15. Lyttle

16. Roberts, 17. McGrath, 18. Milasinovich, 19. Izuchukwu, 20. Jones, 21. Doak, 22. Madigan, 23. Curtis

That's a pretty strong team. If McIlroy is fit he might come in at left wing, or fullback with Lyttle going to left wing, and Moxham replacing Curtis on the bench. Doak might start, with Cooney on the bench. The players Ireland are most likely to let us have back are Treadwell, Baloucoune and Lowry, who would all strengthen the team if available. I'm predicting Herring, Henderson and Hume on the bench against England, so we'll have to do without them.

Give it a few days and see how good I am at predicting these things.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Given its an away fixture and with covid still around I'd imagine they'll take a fair few reserves with them.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

paddybrown wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:47 pm My prediction for the lineup, assuming we don't get any of our Ireland players back:

1. Warwick, 2. Andrew, 3. M Moore
4. A O'Connor, 5 Carter
6. Marcus Rea, 7. Murphy, 8. Vermeulen
9. Cooney, 10. Burns
11. Moxham, 12. McCloskey, 13. S. Moore, 14. Gilroy
15. Lyttle

16. Roberts, 17. McGrath, 18. Milasinovich, 19. Izuchukwu, 20. Jones, 21. Doak, 22. Madigan, 23. Curtis

That's a pretty strong team. If McIlroy is fit he might come in at left wing, or fullback with Lyttle going to left wing, and Moxham replacing Curtis on the bench. Doak might start, with Cooney on the bench. The players Ireland are most likely to let us have back are Treadwell, Baloucoune and Lowry, who would all strengthen the team if available. I'm predicting Herring, Henderson and Hume on the bench against England, so we'll have to do without them.

Give it a few days and see how good I am at predicting these things.
It's possible we might get Treadwell back as 2nd row will be well covered in Ireland camp. For the same reason we might get Timoney, Hume and Baloucoune too (although I think IRFU will insist they get held back to even the odds in the Leinster game). Lowry is one I would be amazed to see return. Ireland's plan is surely Keenan to start with cover coming from carbery and henshaw. But if keenan ships an injury prior to kick off, Lowry will be the starting FB so they'll keep him to cover that eventuality
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Neill_M wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:55 pm Frank Murphy on the whistle for this one.

Information via @murray_kinsella on twitter.
Full details:

Referee: Frank Murphy
Assistant Referees: Eoghan Cross, Oisin Quinn
Television Match Official: Olly Hodges
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

When's the team announced?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Now that the team is announced, will Balacoune, Hume, Lowry, Timoney & Treadwell be released to Ulster?
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Edit: Now that the Irish team is announced, will Balacoune, Hume, Lowry, Timoney & Treadwell be released to Ulster?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I'd hope to get treadwell and all 3 of the backs. Timoney will probably travel to England as next in line back rower. With henshaw only benching and hansen likely to travel we should get the others made available. Unlikely farrell would through lowry in at 15 should keenan break down.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

jean valjean wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:34 pm I'd hope to get treadwell and all 3 of the backs. Timoney will probably travel to England as next in line back rower. With henshaw only benching and hansen likely to travel we should get the others made available. Unlikely farrell would through lowry in at 15 should keenan break down.
We should get Treadwell as Baird will be ahead of him for the travelling emergency lock. Timoney might travel in case one of the back row has a late injury to give him a bench space (although they might use Beirne in that scenario and simply swap Baird into the substitute 2nd row spot). Baloucoune shouldn't be needed as Hansen would be ahead of him in the pecking order and is more versatile in any event so is a better shout for an "emergency" cover type of player. Hume might travel depending on how AF wants to cover the 23 jersey. His options are either to have Hume as 23 and leave Henshaw and Ringrose to cover FB and Wing respectively or to have Lowry but that would leave a gap in the centre cover. Lowry will definitely travel in my view because if Keenan can't play, Lowry would be straight in to start. Henshaw isn't a planned option at 15 and never would be - he would only end up there due to injuries (likewise Carbery). So we might get Treadwell and Baloucoune and possibly Timoney back but probably not the others. I still strongly suspect efforts will be made to prevent the release of our players so as to even the playing field v Leinster as it is such a critical inter-pro.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

lowry won't be a bench option in my opinion because Carberry can cover 12 if necessary as can Conway . Hume may be excess to requirements if Henshaw is on the bench so the my prediction for the backs on the Bench are Murray Carberry and Henshaw. The Ulster backs either play or come home for the England game and would be a safer bet to play against the scots than England

England play to their heavy pack and try to out power the opposition whereas the Scots go for a more open game which is more suitable for the Ulster backs .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist