Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Contract Situation

Post by justinr73 »

MightyRearranger wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:25 pm Listening to the Bristol v Sale match in the background on the radio and they had Dan McFarland on for an interview at half time. Couple of interesting things in terms of his history and how things were going at Ulster, but they also asked about how he felt about never being on anyone there's radar with respect to the England coaching set-up. They were basically saying that they felt he should be up there and were asking about why he felt that might be and how he felt about it as an Englishman that's been working elsewhere for so long.

He gave a very philosophic answer, but mentioning it here as it's not something I'd even considered before. I've more or less been assuming that Rob Baxter is the heir apparent for the England job, but if that was to not happen for whatever reason I'm not too sure who'd be behind him. Based on the job he's done at Ulster over the last number of seasons, he maybe would deserve to be in the discussion?
I think Borthwick has been lined up for the England job but Dan was asked a very similar question this week on the BBC podcast with Care and Monye.

A tabloid journo would no doubt have used the phrase “issued a come-and-get me plea” in his summary of the interview.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

Vovlo, would agree 100% with your humble opinion. Would be very keen on getting Dan to stay beyond 2023. Can also understand why he should be in the England discussion, but as Justin73 says, Baxter and Borthwick would be ahead of him, not least as they know the relevant players a lot better. Post-Jones, that will be considered to be an important factor, irrespective of its actual relevance.

As the IRFU have found in trying to replace van Graan, good coaches are well worth hanging on to. And from what I've read, Dan has been long enough in Ireland to consider it worth staying here. But, improving the Ulster squad further will help no end.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Really hope Dan extends his contract. Who wouldn't want to be at the helm of ulster's best years ahead? Our backline will only get better but we need izzy, mccann, reid, and Stewart to push on and become regular 1st team squad members. A bolter or 2 from the u20s would be nice as well. Hendo was making a point of the teams leaders being under 25, Dan would be foolish to let someone else reap the reward of what he has put in.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dan would be foolish to let someone else reap the reward of what he has put in.

A very good point Jean.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dan would be foolish to let someone else reap the reward of what he has put in.

A very good point Jean.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

So good I quoted it twice. 🙄
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

Let's hope too that the IRFU want to keep him in Ireland - their reasoning being just in case Leo Cullen doesn't want the Ireland job.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Dan will be pff to the prem at the end of his contract if not before, of that I am pretty certain
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

StandUp wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:52 pm Dan would be foolish to let someone else reap the reward of what he has put in.

A very good point Jean.
Dan Soper is a ready made replacement surely?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Do we really want a head coach with zero experience in the role? I wouldn’t.
If Dan leaves, we should not be doing the usual UR “worldwide search” of NI but should bust the bank for the best possible head coach available.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

StandUp wrote:Do we really want a head coach with zero experience in the role? I wouldn’t.
If Dan leaves, we should not be doing the usual UR “worldwide search” of NI but should bust the bank for the best possible head coach available.
Speak to any of the players, Soper is top level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

I’m sure he’s a great coach but does he know how to lead a province?
I think that would be a ridiculous lack of ambition by UR but whaddyeyeknow?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

nonplussed wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:25 pm Dan will be pff to the prem at the end of his contract if not before, of that I am pretty certain
Another homesick excuse?🙄
I wouldn’t be surprised.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

While you’re here KOTH, have you heard of any conversations re. booting Carter out on his hole?
I hope it’s under consideration.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

StandUp wrote:While you’re here KOTH, have you heard of any conversations re. booting Carter out on his hole?
I hope it’s under consideration.
Under contract so I would highly doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.