Ulster v Munster Friday April 22 7:35pm KO BBC2NI / RTE2 / Premier Sports 2 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

flatpass
Novice

Re: Ulster v Munster Friday April 22 7:35pm KO BBC2NI / RTE2 / Premier Sports 2 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by flatpass »

Bart S wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:47 pm If only Hendy could put in a performance like Beirne did the last time.
I thought Hendy put in a performance on Saturday against Toulouse. He’s a player who needs game time to get up to his best form, and it seemed to me that on Saturday he was getting there.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Ulster v Munster Friday April 22 7:35pm KO BBC2NI / RTE2 / Premier Sports 2 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by StandUp »

Hendy gets through a ton of work but Beirne does that AND all the eye catching stuff too.
I agree Flatpass. He needs game time.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

HammerTime wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:06 pm It’s time for Lowry. He would be missed at fullback but burns has been given plenty of time and for me has done ok. But ok just isn’t good enough any more.
In my opinion we play a lot better as a team when we've a second playmaker in the back-line. It's something that Paddy Wallace used to do for us from inside centre, but more recently it's been Addison (when fit) or Lowry at full back and I think we look a lot more predictable when one of them isn't playing.

I'm not sure what Lowry's best position will be long term and would like to see him get a run at ten as well, but would rather it was left until a time when the effective selection choice is Addison/Stockdale/McIlroy v Burns, rather than Lyttle/Moxham v Burns.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The wheels started to come off against Toulouse at about the same time Billy did.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Officials confirmed:

Ulster Rugby vs Munster Rugby at Kingspan Stadium, Belfast - 19h35
Referee: Jaco Peyper
Assistant Referees: Andrew Cole, Paul Haycock
Television Match Official: Brian MacNeice
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:32 am The wheels started to come off against Toulouse at about the same time Billy did.
Doaks fault. :stir:
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Big-al wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:44 pm

I’d like to think ulster would go into the match as favourites.
You'd think right Big-al. Currently bookies have Ulster as comfortable favourites with 7 points on the handicap.

The suggestion however that we might be without Billy Burns at 10 is a worry. Not to imply that Billy hasn't had his downs as well as ups, but none of the other options at 10 (even Lowry) have put in anything even approaching a convincing performance at 10 this season.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

allezlesverres wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:55 pm

You'd think right Big-al. Currently bookies have Ulster as comfortable favourites with 7 points on the handicap.

The suggestion however that we might be without Billy Burns at 10 is a worry. Not to imply that Billy hasn't had his downs as well as ups, but none of the other options at 10 (even Lowry) have put in anything even approaching a convincing performance at 10 this season.
Any stats guru out there able to enlighten me (and anyone else interested) as to how many games anyone other than Burns has started at 10 this season?

It feels to me like Burns has started all bar a few and I am not sure if anyone else has even had 2 consecutive starts at 10 this season.
austintranslation
Novice

Post by austintranslation »

Bart S wrote:
allezlesverres wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:55 pm

Any stats guru out there able to enlighten me (and anyone else interested) as to how many games anyone other than Burns has started at 10 this season?

It feels to me like Burns has started all bar a few and I am not sure if anyone else has even had 2 consecutive starts at 10 this season.
The only match Billy Burns hasn't started 10 for Ulster this season was one of the South African away matches. Bulls I think.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Got an extra E terrace tkt if anybody is interested. £25 - £5 less than face value and NO tktbarsteward fee!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Bart S wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:17 pm

I think you're right Bart although my feeling is that no one else has been trusted to start because no one else is good enough in training to convince Dan that they're worth a gamble. Lowry has had a few opportunities as substitute 10 and hasn't shone in any of them. Madigan has fallen off a cliff somehow, he must have one foot out the door which is a shame, I thought he would be putting pressure on BB for a starting jersey when he signed. Is my memory failing me or did Doak shuffle out to 10 in one game this season? I had in my mind that he did and that he did a pretty decent job of it. Which sort of tells it's own story, that our best back up 10 is actually a 9.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Doak slipped over to 10 when Madigan got subbed and played about 10 -15 mins at 10 in South Africa was doing a fairly good job until he went for a flat pass to the wing which was read - intercepted - and run in for a try - in a game already lost. Lowry was retained at 12 .

Other than that he has stood in for Cooney at 9 for most of his games when starting and as a sub when Cooney returned.

We all know Why and where Ulsters 10 is and regret the only people suffering due to it are the Men and Women who stand on the terrace at Kingspan.

Unforgiving Misandry and P-nis Envy let loose and given head .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

allezlesverres wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:04 am
Bart S wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:17 pm

I think you're right Bart although my feeling is that no one else has been trusted to start because no one else is good enough in training to convince Dan that they're worth a gamble. Lowry has had a few opportunities as substitute 10 and hasn't shone in any of them. Madigan has fallen off a cliff somehow, he must have one foot out the door which is a shame, I thought he would be putting pressure on BB for a starting jersey when he signed. Is my memory failing me or did Doak shuffle out to 10 in one game this season? I had in my mind that he did and that he did a pretty decent job of it. Which sort of tells it's own story, that our best back up 10 is actually a 9.
I’m nearly certain there was a post from KOTH, potentially in pre-season, which said Lowry would be the long term 10 and he’d be getting a lot more game time there over the course of this season. I assume Addison’s injury put paid to any short term plans to give Lowry more time at 10 but additional, Dan’s recent reference to him as an ‘international standard 15’ might mean it’s not an option for when Addison returns.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

If and when Addison returns we need to get him and lowry on the pitch together and it not be an either or.
Cooney, lowry, stockdale, big stu, hume, balacoune and Addison would be my starting backline when all fit.
d4surfer
Novice

Post by d4surfer »

Munster: Mike Haley; Keith Earls, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Shane Daly; Joey Carbery, Craig Casey; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Thomas Ahern; Jack O’Donoghue (C), John Hodnett, Alex Kendellen.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Josh Wycherley, John Ryan, Jason Jenkins, Fineen Wycherley, Conor Murray, Ben Healy, Chris Cloete.