Edinburgh v Ulster Saturday April 30th 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 2 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Edinburgh v Ulster Saturday April 30th 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 2 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by StandUp »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:05 pm Ulster should take a good look at the Edinburgh try - heads up rugby and play what’s in front of you instead of sticking to a game plan.
When under pressure, I’m not sure they have the capacity to play heads up rugby. It’s just rugby by numbers.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Re: Edinburgh v Ulster Saturday April 30th 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 2 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by HammerTime »

Season salvageable after all! And if we do the sharks, Leinster do the usual over Munster and Scarlets don’t fold to the stormers (unlikely) at home we could even sneak a home SF. The Leinster brigade (other than Timoney) are done.
Last edited by HammerTime on Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Big-al wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:07 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:51 pm Really starting to worry what we'll do if anything happens to Rob Herring. He's playing nearly every minute of the last lot of games as if there's no trust in whever is 16 that day.

Fair enough, there's 3 weeks R&R now, but it's worrying if he gets injured or suspended.
Tom Stewart is better than Roberts, decent lineout thrower and can carry well.

Burns and Cooney were pure muck.
On the flip side, I thought Doak was very good. Played what was in front of him and not just Cooneyball :duck:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

StandUp wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:08 pm
Hawkeye wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:05 pm Ulster should take a good look at the Edinburgh try - heads up rugby and play what’s in front of you instead of sticking to a game plan.
When under pressure, I’m not sure they have the capacity to play heads up rugby. It’s just rugby by numbers.
Every team tries something like Embra did then when playing penalty advantage - that or a cross-field kick for the winger. In fact it's too easy for some teams just to resort to that. Good when it comes off, but too often it's back for the penalty anyway.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Didn’t enjoy that - far too tense with disaster waiting if we lost. But credit where credit is due. Outstanding defence in the last 10 minutes. Thought the back row were good, especially Rea and DV. Also a good shift from the starting front row about whom I had some qualms. Doak played well. Also think the wind and rain were were worse than they looked, and got worse as the match progressed. Anyway, onwards and upwards.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:13 pm
StandUp wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:08 pm
Every team tries something like Embra did then when playing penalty advantage - that or a cross-field kick for the winger. In fact it's too easy for some teams just to resort to that. Good when it comes off, but too often it's back for the penalty anyway.
Quite.

And what about the chances they butchered by (allegedly) playing “heads up rugby”?!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

flatpass wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:21 pm Didn’t enjoy that - far too tense with disaster waiting if we lost. But credit where credit is due. Outstanding defence in the last 10 minutes. Thought the back row were good, especially Rea and DV. Also a good shift from the starting front row about whom I had some qualms. Doak played well. Also think the wind and rain were were worse than they looked, and got worse as the match progressed. Anyway, onwards and upwards.
Me neither.

At least we’re now spared the tension of playing Kolisi and Co for a place in the Champions Cup!
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Sorry tosay, but JC now seems to be spent. ......And unable to recognise that what he is doing is aimless predictable inaccurate box kicks are not working. Embrace must have been delighted to see him coming on. Maybe time to pack it in?

Take the win ,and fantastic legal defence.
One hopes that the team are being subjected to some good old fashioned " Fergie hair dryer" treatment at every opportunity.
This is still salvageable but next game starts from zero. Tonight is already water under the bridge.

Toughen up. Failure is not an option ........not least financially !!

Maybe we should start a breakaway league, 35 minutes each way. ??
We could be world class? Sound familiar? :stir: :sleeping:
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Bobbievee wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:44 am Sorry tosay, but JC now seems to be spent. ......And unable to recognise that what he is doing is aimless predictable inaccurate box kicks are not working. Embrace must have been delighted to see him coming on. Maybe time to pack it in?

Take the win ,and fantastic legal defence.
One hopes that the team are being subjected to some good old fashioned " Fergie hair dryer" treatment at every opportunity.
This is still salvageable but next game starts from zero. Tonight is already water under the bridge.

Toughen up. Failure is not an option ........not least financially !!

Maybe we should start a breakaway league, 35 minutes each way. ??
We could be world class? Sound familiar? :stir: :sleeping:
No question Cooney is in poor form but to suggest he packs it in right now is a bit of a kneejerk reaction and disrespectful as he was instrumental in wins all of 4 months ago.

I am all for Doak starting next week but a bit premature to write Cooney off.
SUFTUM_19
Novice

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Considering we’re the first side to go and win at the DAM, I’m surprised to see so much negativity on here. I for one am delighted we held on at the end there, that was some serious pressure. We weren’t perfect, far from it, but we ground out the win and that’s all we needed tonight. Thought we showed real heart and character. Plenty to work on, but after a pretty exhausting block of games (Leinster, South Africa trip, 2 Toulouse games, Munster and Edinburgh) we have a good chance to regroup and regather for the playoffs. I can see us finishing 3rd.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

SUFTUM_19 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:52 am Considering we’re the first side to go and win at the DAM, I’m surprised to see so much negativity on here. I for one am delighted we held on at the end there, that was some serious pressure. We weren’t perfect, far from it, but we ground out the win and that’s all we needed tonight. Thought we showed real heart and character. Plenty to work on, but after a pretty exhausting block of games (Leinster, South Africa trip, 2 Toulouse games, Munster and Edinburgh) we have a good chance to regroup and regather for the playoffs. I can see us finishing 3rd.
Well said. Add in the loss of Hendy and McCloskey early on and o doubt many expected ulster to win.

Far from brill but in terms of mental resilience not bad
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

HammerTime wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:08 pm Season salvageable after all! And if we do the sharks, Leinster do the usual over Munster and Scarlets don’t fold to the stormers (unlikely) at home we could even sneak a home SF. The Leinster brigade (other than Timoney) are done.
If Marty is done we are in big trouble. Would give Jordi the benefit of the doubt as still recovering to match fitness I hope
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Bart S wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:28 am
HammerTime wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:08 pm Season salvageable after all! And if we do the sharks, Leinster do the usual over Munster and Scarlets don’t fold to the stormers (unlikely) at home we could even sneak a home SF. The Leinster brigade (other than Timoney) are done.
If Marty is done we are in big trouble. Would give Jordi the benefit of the doubt as still recovering to match fitness I hope
I stand corrected big MM has been one of the forwards of the year if not thee forward of the year. Murphy and O’Connor are penalty machines. Cooneys form has went over the cliff edge and to think how good he was earlier on in the season.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Bart S wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:28 am
Otoole is a good prop.
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

I thought it interesting and significant that during his post match MOTM interview Hume spoke of the Toulouse defeat and the shadow that it effectively cast over the team. It put me to wonder if that defeat, coming off the back of Immelman effectively re-writing the laws of the game, was simply too much for Ulster to handle. It has always seemed to me that UR are a team severely lacking mental toughness, not just because of the nearly but not quite results but also events in and around the club itself. By that I mean just think of all of the issues we have seen - Fat Controller, Nevin, Brennan, Fit Controller, PJ/SO and probably many more I've forgot.
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN