Vote early, vote often.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

WestDr
Novice

Re: Vote early, vote often.

Post by WestDr »

big mervyn wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:36 pm
I voted right down the list but because my No 1 stayed until the final count that's where it remained.
Thanks. I think I understand how that works (being somewhat new to this PR-STV thing).
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Are we at the point where the party that wins the most seats has the first option to form a government, and if they fail it moves to the second largest party and so on? That a simple majority should be sufficient, say 50 out of 90, for a vote to pass, and we have actual opposition parties holding the ruling party and its coalition to account?

It would require parties to properly work together and have clear policies that may encourage people to vote less on sectarian lines. An executive would have a clear mandate to deliver on and if the Irish Language Act is more important than the NHS so be it. It probably strengthens the hand of more centrist parties as Sinn Fein, DUP and TUV wouldn't be big fans of working together. And finally most importantly no party can throw their dummy out of the pram, as no requirement for the two highest people in government to be one Protestant and one Catholic?

All sounds too logical, and I'm not sure Sinn Fein or the DUP would accept it, but if the other parties are happy would the British and Irish governments have the balls to implement it, can't see it truth be told.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

"The actual structures of government at Stormont DO need an overhaul though."

There must be a way to get this done. The revolution starts here. >minigun
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Many thanks all
I hadn't intended my first post to be supporting or complaining on behalf of any particular party or point of view. It just seemed odd to me but I can see why it comes out that way
One can only hope that those whose job is to think about these things are as thoughtful and well informed as posters on here!I
Anything must surely be better than this circus. And Lurga n Lads post emphasises the nonsense of having to get the current incumbents to agree to fix it!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:43 am
Fintan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:37 am
BR wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:49 am If (and i accept the scale of the if) UUP and SDLP were to agree to designate as Other, would that not allow APNI to nominate a dfm, and everyone could get on with it?
No it wouldn't.

The FM and DFM posts can only go to someone designated as unionist or nationalist. Under the current rules even if Alliance won every seat they still couldn't nominate FM/DFM.
I think the St Andrews agreement also changed the entitlement from a voting block with the majority to a single party which would preclude a coalition FM/DFM.

This election has further highlighted the fact that the current system is not fit for purpose. Blimey :shock: I sound like Jim Allister :lol:
Wouldn't be a coalition. Alliance would be the largest party within the largest Unionist/Nationalist/Other designation, and would be entitled* to nominate DFM beside the largest party's nomination for FM.

*subject to what people are saying that 'Other' does not count. I mind reading it a while back and I do not remember that caveat.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

NI ACT 1988

16A

(4)The nominating officer of the largest political party of the largest political designation shall nominate a member of the Assembly to be the First Minister.
(5)The nominating officer of the largest political party of the second largest political designation shall nominate a member of the Assembly to be the deputy First Minister.
(6)Players who leave a maul must immediately retire behind the offside line. These players may re-join the maul.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:36 pm
I voted right down the list but because my No 1 stayed until the final count that's where it remained.
Not a wasted vote though. Your vote (along with others) enabled that candidate to reach the final count.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

Not at all, BVee - I picked that out as it was an interesting question that had crossed my mind too and thought it worthy of a bit of further investigation. Just because you asked it doesn't make you either for it or against it (well, at least in my mind). The same point could be made around the two independents and PBP anyway.

As for thoughtful and informed people on this forum..... surely not ! As Ulster supporters, we have to be either insane, in denial or perhaps just deluded but definitely rained-upon. Perhaps where we do resemble the DUP and TUV is our willingness to look back fondly to last century ?

For a more informed comment, Alex Kane writes in today's Irish Times (here and for once not pay-walled: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/unio ... -1.4874939) with some interesting thoughts. I do like this paragraph: "So, what does unionism do? First, it needs to recognise that while the electoral appetite for party political unionism seems to be diminishing, it doesn’t follow that the appetite for Irish unity is growing; although it might, if electoral unionism continues to gift votes to its electoral opponents and dismisses as lundies, liberals and rollovers anyone daring to suggest there might be a better approach to problem-solving than implicit or explicit threat, while conga-lining into yet another cul de sac. "

Conga-lining into another cul-de-sac does sound a lot like Robbie Diack's ball-carrying......

Finally, has anyone seen these UR player youtube videos ? "Is cheese French..?"
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

The protocol as it stands is a causing problems for NI and it’s businesses.

There is no need to Undertake checks for goods from GB & that remain in NI. It is ridiculous…….both time consuming and expensive.

It needs to be fixed and should be fixed.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

NI's economy is growing faster than GB's under the current arrangements.

The Tories do not like this.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

Big-al wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:40 pm The protocol as it stands is a causing problems for NI and it’s businesses.

There is no need to Undertake checks for goods from GB & that remain in NI. It is ridiculous…….both time consuming and expensive.

There are rumours that the Protocol as it stands is causing problems for Loyalism and its businesses.

As for the DUP and its businesses, I can't see how the Protocol affects either Red Sky or those with RHI-funded boilers. Although come to think of it, in the case of the latter, if you're using RHI-funded boilers to warm a pig-house or two, then you'll be switching off as you go out of the pig business.

Things you learn from talking with your neighbouring UR season-ticket holders #1: artificial fertiliser is now nearing £1,000 a tonne. In March 2021 it was around £250/tonne. Don't think our Mervyn Poots will be falling over himself to have the DAERA portfolio again. The Glider lanes running 7am - 7pm down the Ormeau Rd.... now there's one for you to grapple with, Mr Poots. You're in the big city now.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

WestDr wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:16 pm
Big-al wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:40 pm The protocol as it stands is a causing problems for NI and it’s businesses.

There are rumours that the Protocol as it stands is causing problems for Loyalism and its businesses.

As for the DUP and its businesses, I can't see how the Protocol affects either Red Sky or those with RHI-funded boilers. Although come to think of it, in the case of the latter, if you're using RHI-funded boilers to warm a pig-house or two, then you'll be switching off as you go out of the pig business.

Things you learn from talking with your neighbouring UR season-ticket holders #1: artificial fertiliser is now nearing £1,000 a tonne. In March 2021 it was around £250/tonne. Don't think our Mervyn Poots will be falling over himself to have the DAERA portfolio again. The Glider lanes running 7am - 7pm down the Ormeau Rd.... now there's one for you to grapple with, Mr Poots. You're in the big city now.
Since when has a business been defined as loyalist, DUP, Republican or Nationalist?

Do they have different tax laws or something?

Why would you need to warm a pig house? Perhaps you’re confused with chicken houses or small businesses in general? Chicken house are owned by Nationalist and unionist voters.

The reason fertiliser has risen to extortionate rates is because Russia banned the export (to the EU/UK)of key ingredients early last year, it was sitting at almost £500 per tonne prior to the Ukraine war and has soared to between £800-£1000 per tonne after the war…. If you can get it!!!

Finally, are you okay?
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

Mmm, knew I should have put that carriage return mid-way through that last paragraph.... Didn't think there might be some who think I would be holding the DUP responsible for the actions of Vladimir Putin too..... That's a step too far even for them.

As for your last question, perfectly fine, bar a bit of a cold. But thank you for asking.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Is Mervyn related to Edwin? :roll:
Hope is not a strategy.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:03 pm Is Mervyn related to Edwin? :roll:
Definitely NOT!! :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall