Vote early, vote often.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

WestDr
Novice

Re: Vote early, vote often.

Post by WestDr »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:03 pm Is Mervyn related to Edwin? :roll:
My mistake - in my fevered state I was clearly getting E Poots mixed up with M Storey (another sad reduction in the DUP's scientific expertise). Thank you for spotting it. I will definitely learn the lessons, take the positives, be more clinical, look for the marginal gains, get on the front foot etc etc. And take more care.

I also apologise unreserved to all those who may have been offended by any comparison that may have appeared between a non-existent Mr M Poots and a Big Mervyn, bin Leader. FTOAD, I also understand that Bin Leadership does not involve standing on them nor falling off them, be they blue or any other colour.

Slightly more seriously, for those wishing for a little information on where the details of the Protocol sit at present (i.e. what the EU has offered and what the UK has yet to address), Tony Connelly has it here https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-co ... -analysis/. You have to read right down to the Update on Customs section for the latest but it would appear that some form of trusted trader scheme was originally agreed for firms with establishments in both GB and NI (such as Marks & Spencer).
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Jeffrey treating the assembly electoral system and the Lagan Valley electorate will total contempt.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

big mervyn wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:20 pm Jeffrey treating the assembly electoral system and the Lagan Valley electorate will total contempt.
I sincerely hope that any deaths resulting from the meltdown of our hospitals is laid firmly at Contemptable Donaldson’s doorstep.
If an imaginary line in the Irish Sea (resulting from the DUP’s backing of Brexit) is more of a pressing issue than the health and well being of our populace, then I hope that slimy little kunt does not receive a diagnosis of an aggressive cancer, because our fabulous doctors and nurses might find their professionalism being tested during his treatment.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

So Brenda Hale, who was an MLA in Lagan Valley and lost her seat in 2017 did not want to be a part of this outstandingly cynical manoeuvre ? Perhaps due to the fact that she is the prospective DUP candidate for the Parliamentary seat when/should His Donaldson ever decide to grace Stormont with his leadership. Or will EL-P not seek to put her 2019 rejection by 16,500 votes in South Belfast into the past by getting this gig too ?

Is it taking it too far to believe that the 12,626 voters who gave His Donaldson their first preference last Friday would willingly do so again ? But then I don't live in the Lagan Valley constituency so really I don't know...... it's hard to know whether this is tragedy or just plain farce.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Can anyone else remember the 73/74 power sharing executive. ?
Was working well, with SDLP having 4 Minister s ( Gerry fitt, Hume, Currie and Devlin).
Only 2 problems; Provies didn't stop, and Hume ( against Gerry Fs advice, per his autobiography) pushed hard for All Ireland bodies .........too soon. No patience. Too greedy.
Outcome? UWC strike ....... against all Ireland institutions, not power sharing) ..........
Result; another 50 years of Provies/Shinners and thousands more murders.
To try to get back to where we already were.
And here we are in a laughing stock situation with a long line of contributing acts, Blair, Major, Mowlam, Johnston, May................
And our own locals joining in.
And the murderers supporters running the show.........nearly

I can't even see a way forward anymore.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

WestDr wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:48 pm So Brenda Hale, who was an MLA in Lagan Valley and lost her seat in 2017 did not want to be a part of this outstandingly cynical manoeuvre ? Perhaps due to the fact that she is the prospective DUP candidate for the Parliamentary seat when/should His Donaldson ever decide to grace Stormont with his leadership. Or will EL-P not seek to put her 2019 rejection by 16,500 votes in South Belfast into the past by getting this gig too ?

Is it taking it too far to believe that the 12,626 voters who gave His Donaldson their first preference last Friday would willingly do so again ? But then I don't live in the Lagan Valley constituency so really I don't know...... it's hard to know whether this is tragedy or just plain farce.
I am a LV voter (although not necessarily a Donaldson voter). I would say the vast majority who voted for JD, did so in the knowledge that they would end up with a co-opted MLA. All this faux outrage is boleex.

Also all these arguments who quote candidates first pref votes - they can do one too! This is NI politics - just because you put a 1 beside someone's name, doesn't mean you like them, let alone that'd you'd put an X beside them in a FPTP poll.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Bobbievee wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:12 pm Can anyone else remember the 73/74 power sharing executive. ?
Was working well, with SDLP having 4 Minister s ( Gerry fitt, Hume, Currie and Devlin).
Only 2 problems; Provies didn't stop, and Hume ( against Gerry Fs advice, per his autobiography) pushed hard for All Ireland bodies .........too soon. No patience. Too greedy.
Outcome? UWC strike ....... against all Ireland institutions, not power sharing) ..........
Result; another 50 years of Provies/Shinners and thousands more murders.
To try to get back to where we already were.
And here we are in a laughing stock situation with a long line of contributing acts, Blair, Major, Mowlam, Johnston, May................
And our own locals joining in.
And the murderers supporters running the show.........nearly

I can't even see a way forward anymore.
Was it Hume who described the GFA as 'Sunningdale for slow learners?'
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

BR, thank you for the informative response to the question. So, if it is the case that those who put 1 against Donaldson because their primary reason was to support the DUP's view that Stormont should not function until the Protocol is 'resolved' (however so defined), which does have a logic, then does that logic not extend to anyone who might be proposed for election as a DUP candidate ? In which case, then why could EL-P not have stood instead.....?

Wiki says it was Seamus Mallon who coined the term 'the GFA was Sunningdale for slow learners'. It seems to be commonly held that he was referring solely to the IRA and their political wing, SF, and the 25+ years it took for them to move from the armed struggle to the Agreement. It's a pity he's only recently passed away, as I'd be fascinated to ask whether he intended the same sentiments to apply to political unionism, and in particular, Paisley-ism (in both DUP and TUV forms), which, coming up to nearly 50 years on, appears to be still struggling to learn, and inwardly digest, that the Ulster of pre-1973 ('John Bull's political slum' as Cal McCrystal termed it in the Sunday Times back in 1966) is no longer an option desired by a sizeable majority of the NI voting population.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Yep I am fairly sure it was Seamus Mallon, and I hope he meant it to apply to everyone......not just SF/IRA.
But continuing the debate for another 25 years is a whole lot different from continuing to murder civilians for another 25 years as a way of persuading them of your arguments.
What it did achieve of course was nice the UK to a position of complete surrender.......what do you want M r Provie to make you stop?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Rory Bremner put it quite well.....

https://twitter.com/rorybremner/status/ ... et%3DTweet
Bluffer’s guide to NI Protocol. Those who voted Remain and lost (ie the majority) have adjusted to Brexit & are getting on with making it work, while those who voted Brexit and won ie the DUP) are furious and want to rip the whole thing up. Have I understood that correctly?
He's referring to the 55.7% of NI that voted to remain in EU, the overall UK vote being to leave.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:22 pm Rory Bremner put it quite well.....

https://twitter.com/rorybremner/status/ ... et%3DTweet
Bluffer’s guide to NI Protocol. Those who voted Remain and lost (ie the majority) have adjusted to Brexit & are getting on with making it work, while those who voted Brexit and won ie the DUP) are furious and want to rip the whole thing up. Have I understood that correctly?
He's referring to the 55.7% of NI that voted to remain in EU, the overall UK vote being to leave.
Yes and 59% of the new MLAs were returned with a mandate to make the Protocol work.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Comparison between Northern Ireland and Ukraine? Eastern part of Ukraine deliberately populated by Russia with Russians so that there is another rationale, in addition to the historical, for considering it as a part of Russia. Parallel to the Plantation? I know it's far from an exact parallel but is it a bit too close for comfort?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The plantation was theft. The ancestors stole the past, the current crop are trying to steal the future.

Fcuk the DUP.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:44 pm The plantation was theft. The ancestors stole the past, the current crop are trying to steal the future.

Fcuk the DUP.
Well said Dave. How are we going to attract meaningful investment into the north, in terms of companies wanting to set up shop here, when we have ridiculous kunts like the DUP in power?
Those who voted for them should be very ashamed.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I notice Mary Lou McDonald on GMB putting her case forward for a border poll within the next decade. >sniper >bud