Stormers v Ulster Saturday June 11 2pm UK Time Premier Sports / RTE / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Stormers v Ulster Saturday June 11 2pm UK Time Premier Sports / RTE / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:02 pm We lost that game in the regular season. Have to finish top 2 in the league. No ifs buts or maybes.
We were robbed of that game in the regular season.

We did finish top 2 in the league, but for a terrible terrible ... let's call it a mistake ... by thon Saffa TMO! :banghead: :banghead:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Stormers v Ulster Saturday June 11 2pm UK Time Premier Sports / RTE / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by justinr73 »

Putting the game on in the lounge would be worth doing every away game.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:05 pm Putting the game on in the lounge would be worth doing every away game.
what was the uptake?

A good turn out?

Would the cleaning bill (spilt milk/beer/pi$$) not make it unprofitable for each defeat?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:58 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:02 pm We lost that game in the regular season. Have to finish top 2 in the league. No ifs buts or maybes.
We were robbed of that game in the regular season.

We did finish top 2 in the league, but for a terrible terrible ... let's call it a mistake ... by thon Saffa TMO! :banghead: :banghead:
Agree that was painful, we did lose 5 other games, x 2 Munster, Connacht, Ospreys and Bulls, there were wins there to take. Out of the top 8 teams only Glasgow scored fewer tries, more bonus points please.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

justinr73 wrote:Putting the game on in the lounge would be worth doing every away game.
Yeah, we were saying that too this afternoon
Good turnout and a decent atmosphere
Everything except the right result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
turko
Novice
Location: Exiled but heart remains at the cathedral on match day

Post by turko »

Recovering now from the enormous pain of that defeat and reflecting on where we are. Lots of positives to be honest: some fantastic young players who just get better and better: Lowry, Timoney, Baloucoune, Doak, O’Toole, Rae, Moore, Mcllroy etc. James Hulme playing the best rugby in Ireland at 13 (by a country mile). Some old stagers with a few years yet on the clock churning it out still: McCloskey, Cooney , Herring, Vermulen, Henderson, Tredwell etc. Some lads to come back from injury: stockdale, Addison etc
we are in a better place than we have been for years. Yes we lost again when the victory was there for the taking but I don’t believe these lads are influenced by past failures. They are their own generation and they want to (and will) win something soon. On any other day we win that game! Staying positive SUFTUM
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

I couldn't agree more Turko.

There have been a few disappointments watching Ulster Rugby this year - but many many more positives. I've enjoyed this season.

We just need a a couple of big boys in the pack. The backs are a joy!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:09 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:05 pm Putting the game on in the lounge would be worth doing every away game.
what was the uptake?

A good turn out?

Would the cleaning bill (spilt milk/beer/pi$$) not make it unprofitable for each defeat?
As per Soda, it was good. Better than I thought it would be. The lounge is a decent size and it was pleasantly full.

The atmosphere was decent and nothing was spilt, apart from the odd tear maybe.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:42 pm
Dave wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:37 pm Cooney lacks that control to finish games. Remember that pop pass to Rea against Quinns. Everyone blames Rea for knocking on but the 9 should be slowing it down.
Doaks fault he didn't get on >EW
Cooney was still putting up kick and chase efforts for the few minutes that RB could hardly walk!!
Ffs!!
And correcting my earlier post.....30 secs after JCs aimless box kick, At 72.02, they were 5 metres from Ulster line.
Simple rule.....they can't score if we have the ball. What's hard to understand about that?

And why were Billy B and JC will on after 65/70 minutes?

I admire and agree with all the positives being identified on other threads but this game management and substitutions management is appalling.

Accepting that our " match" squad needs to be 30strong.....not just even 23 strong.....we really need to be playing smarter with what we have

And Dan McF has to bear some responsibility for this?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

For me it was a bit of subconscious bias refereeing -- too many penalties ( what was that for ?) given away in the last 10 mins.. thus putting excessive pressure on defending.

Subconscious bias can arise --when a referee hands out a very reluctant red card to the home side -- Adamson had already avoid a card on a tip dump on McCloskey in the first half ( when he was lifted 45 - 60 degrees and dropped on his shoulder/back/neck area heavily ) then the officials ( Ref/and /Tmo/ Linesman ) failed to spot the deliberate / avoidable eye contact on Henderson who had to report it -- the report was justified and the red handed out --- thereafter Adamson was calling any infringement against Ulster and went whistle happy . Note please i am not implying he was making infringements up -- but was looking for them . like looking for offsides when previously he would have allowed play to proceed .

He unfortunately is not the best referee --he tries and normally is equally bad for both teams on occasion eg their first try like Ulster's first try appeared to have a foundation forward pass .

But based on that performance and Baloucoune's injury on top of the those already sidelined and defensive effort of the last 15 minutes of that game I doubt the ability to beat the Bulls in the final -- not enough depth to last 80 minutes.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Deeply frustrating, more so as you could see it coming unfortunately.

There were poor errors, and some muddled thinking in terms of game management in the 2nd half. That said they left everything on the pitch, they were knackered.

Apart from Stockdale Lowry Addison and MM that was prob the strongest we can put out.

The killer was the lack of viable sub pack options:

Warwick must’ve played 70, herring stayed on, otoole did 80 before replacement, O’Connor 65/70, and Rea similar.

Now to be fair the front row were superb, otoole now is coming of age scrum wise, Warwick a revelation, and herring a class act - but it’s the depth behind them, slowly fatigue got them…..and little impetus from bench/little trust shown by DMcF (shame about MM).

We are definitely a good backrow short if not 2. will the 6’10 2nd row be a decent player. Will Reffell be the answer who knows? Herring cannot be continued to be flogged to death.

……….

If I was the Irfu, I’d hold a meeting between all 4 provinces coaching staff & top players over the summer.

Whether Ire or Provincial, we get done by big packs against SA/FR teams. I’d look to share thoughts how to combat it. Coaching critique each other’s losses, and whether there was a different way to play etc. Also an honest chat re squads, recruitment and areas for development, player loans etc.

This issue is not going away. The good news is there will be more games to put it right.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Treadwell

Treadwell like Caldwell before him suffers from what I refer to as "'Big Blond Syndrome " Second rows are expected to play where the breakdown occurs and yet to a great extent they are inconspicuous with the head down lost in the bodies in the ruck or maul only being recognised when playing head up . Henderson Baird Bierne Ryan unfortunately Blonds can't hide and because they are visible refs watch them and penalise them more often .

If I were Treadwell i might invest in a brown scrum cap to be less conspicuous
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
ladyboy696969
Novice

Post by ladyboy696969 »

Ulster did Ireland proud yesterday. Fantastic game of rugby, losing Balacoune was a big blow though. A lot of kids on your team and they showed up, the future is bright.
Next season, cant wait already.

Oh, and Hendo has a fine Brennan!
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:00 am For me it was a bit of subconscious bias refereeing -- too many penalties ( what was that for ?) given away in the last 10 mins.. thus putting excessive pressure on defending.

Subconscious bias can arise --when a referee hands out a very reluctant red card to the home side -- Adamson had already avoid a card on a tip dump on McCloskey in the first half ( when he was lifted 45 - 60 degrees and dropped on his shoulder/back/neck area heavily ) then the officials ( Ref/and /Tmo/ Linesman ) failed to spot the deliberate / avoidable eye contact on Henderson who had to report it -- the report was justified and the red handed out --- thereafter Adamson was calling any infringement against Ulster and went whistle happy . Note please i am not implying he was making infringements up -- but was looking for them . like looking for offsides when previously he would have allowed play to proceed .

He unfortunately is not the best referee --he tries and normally is equally bad for both teams on occasion eg their first try like Ulster's first try appeared to have a foundation forward pass .

But based on that performance and Baloucoune's injury on top of the those already sidelined and defensive effort of the last 15 minutes of that game I doubt the ability to beat the Bulls in the final -- not enough depth to last 80 minutes.
'He unfortunately is not the best referee --he tries and normally is equally bad for both teams on occasion eg their first try like Ulster's first try appeared to have a foundation forward pass .'
The touch judge was directly in line with the play and had a better view of it than anyone else in the ground or watching on tv. I don't think you can blame the referee for deferring to him on that one.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:37 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:09 pm
what was the uptake?

A good turn out?

As per Soda, it was good. Better than I thought it would be. The lounge is a decent size and it was pleasantly full.

The atmosphere was decent and nothing was spilt, apart from the odd tear maybe.
It was a good afternoon in the lounge. There might be something about the bar/entertainment licence that stops them doing it more often, otherwise it could be a winner. A couple of hundred people paying a fiver in each time and spending money at the bar for 2-3 hours? Ker-ching!