A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbievee
Warrior

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by Bobbievee »

" Relations with Russia, which had offered such fair promise at the Crimea Conference, had grown less cordial during the ensuing weeks. There had been grave difficulties over the Polish question; and it now seemed possible that Russia would not be willing to give full co-operation at the San Francisco Conference on the proposed new World Organization. It was by no means clear that we could count on Russia as a beneficent influence in Europe, or as a willing partner in maintaining the peace of the world. Yet, at the end of the war, Russia would be left in a position of preponderant power and influence throughout the whole of Europe’."I

Winston Churchill March 1944
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

A thing that surprises me about Russia is how poor it is, it has a GDP per capita of $10k with the UK four times that. Given its oligarchs and spending on the military the general population must be really poor. Putin is just going to make the country even poorer, what an idiot.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Might be time for a Revolution?!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:44 pm A thing that surprises me about Russia is how poor it is, it has a GDP per capita of $10k with the UK four times that. Given its oligarchs and spending on the military the general population must be really poor. Putin is just going to make the country even poorer, what an idiot.
Texas has a bigger economy than Russia.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:56 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:44 pm A thing that surprises me about Russia is how poor it is, it has a GDP per capita of $10k with the UK four times that. Given its oligarchs and spending on the military the general population must be really poor. Putin is just going to make the country even poorer, what an idiot.
Texas has a bigger economy than Russia.
Hard to believe, isn't it, so much potential unfulfilled.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Basically all Russia shows is the truth that only those who con others to revolt actual benefit from the revolution because power and money corrupt and those who have-- use their power and money not for the benefit of those who put them in but ensuring that once they have obtained that power they keep it -- keep your secret police and generals sweet and then change them before they unseat you -- Stalinism .

A benign monarchy has much to recommend it -- it may cost you but the benefits far outweigh the cost .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

rumncoke wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:11 am Basically all Russia shows is the truth that only those who con others to revolt actual benefit from the revolution because power and money corrupt and those who have-- use their power and money not for the benefit of those who put them in but ensuring that once they have obtained that power they keep it -- keep your secret police and generals sweet and then change them before they unseat you -- Stalinism .

A benign monarchy has much to recommend it -- it may cost you but the benefits far outweigh the cost .
A benign monarchy that cost us over £100m last year. That was a jump of £15m to pay off a young lady who was assaulted by a paedophile who claims he never even met her.
Give me a Republic any day.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

What does anyone think of Nadhim Zahawi's motto, British by choice, Conservative by conviction? Sounds a bit crap.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Lurgan Lad wrote:What does anyone think of Nadhim Zahawi's motto, British by choice, Conservative by conviction? Sounds a bit crap.
British by birth, tory by the gift of God is much better. Not sure what our munster brethern would make of it.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:48 pm What does anyone think of Nadhim Zahawi's motto, British by choice, Conservative by conviction? Sounds a bit crap.
The Tories are no strangers to convictions these days.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

jean valjean wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:53 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote:What does anyone think of Nadhim Zahawi's motto, British by choice, Conservative by conviction? Sounds a bit crap.
British by birth, tory by the gift of God is much better. Not sure what our munster brethern would make of it.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
Thought it had a tinge of Munster to it myself lol!
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:14 pm
Lurgan Lad wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:48 pm What does anyone think of Nadhim Zahawi's motto, British by choice, Conservative by conviction? Sounds a bit crap.
The Tories are no strangers to convictions these days.
Lol!
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Can't believe Rishi is out in front, the amount of waste under his leadership has been incredible. Furlough scheme went on way too long and poorly thought out and monitored, covid loan guarantee scheme with all the fraud there, the eat out to help out scheme and then go back into lockdown, the idiocy with caving in on his wife's tax affairs (close the loophole or continue taking advantage of it), highest government spending since the 2nd World War, giving his £400 energy rebate to charity (this is tax payer's money, not yours) that should have been means tested. Just truly awful at his job.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I got the impression that the increased spending was down to Bojo (& Dominic Cummings) sooking up to former labour voters who voted Tory?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Labour's fault, of course.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?