Ireland ? in New Zealand

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ireland ? in New Zealand

Post by Bart S »

Good win. Ireland pressure made all blacks look very poor. Vdf, Doris, pom and Beirne were excellent. Good recovery by Porter also.

Sexton becoming even more key.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Joey my man of the match.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dublin4 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:36 am Joey my man of the match.
For the All Blacks!!
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:10 am
Bobbievee wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:03 am BE are and always have been rugby thugs.
It needs a courageous referee and supporting touch judges ( and these days tmos) to call them out.
Nothing valiant about it
Nothing courageous about pointing out they had 15 on the pitch.

It’s just basic numeracy.
Officials still missed the fact that they had 13 on the pitch when they should have been down to 12 after the red card and going to uncontested scrums.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yes, quite possibly - I wasn’t certain they’d gone uncontested but I think it was briefly mentioned on commentary.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

A bit of research suggests Ross has been named at 18 a few times (not just at school either!)
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:33 am Yes, quite possibly - I wasn’t certain they’d gone uncontested but I think it was briefly mentioned on commentary.
Tight-head was in the bin for the off-the-ball tackle on Ringrose. Sub THP then gets red carded for the head clash with Ringrose. Ireland get penalty off a lineout 10m out. Ireland opt for scrum. NZ bring on sub LHP and go to uncontested scrums. NZ should have had to remove two players at this stage (same as happened in the 6N game v Italy) but only Ardie Savea goes off.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

OK I'll hold my hands up. I didn't see that coming at all. Fair play to Ireland for a great win.

Of course, from an :red: perspective, it was Herring and Treadwell came on, that the match was really sealed. :cheers:
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Surprised but the ABs lost that match as much as Ireland won—too many errors— too many penalties

Basically A/B got into the Ireland 22 twice and scored

They forgot the way to beat Leinster don’t let them out of their own half — don’t try to play ambitious rugby in you own half a sure source of errors and getting caught isolated and cheap penalties .

The injury man came off again .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Dublin4 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:36 am Joey my man of the match.
Joey the turnstile.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Interesting game. Ireland played very well I thought both in attack and defense. The early try unsettled NZ and unlike last week, they couldn't get back into the game quickly and pressure built.

The red card was pretty fundamental but Ireland still controlled the game very well. Certainly a different mentality about Ireland than a few years back.

Sets up an absolute cracker for next weekend.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Ireland played poorly. New Zealand were worse. 15 men beat 14. Apparently Irish back rows are heroes. 3 v 2 ?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

All the 'Ireland are great' guff is galling. Any win in NZ is good but there were serious mitigations on this one ... mainly being the All Blacks were horrifically poor and ill disciplined by their standards. Unfortunately it cements Farrells policy of favouring Leinster players over the rest of the Provinces for the forceable future. :banghead:
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I am not to sure exactly what Ireland have learnt or gained from the tour other than currently the ABs are not the team they were and are short of match time as a group .

Ireland on the other hand basically play with each other every week and have a couple of key players whose absence could seriously disrupt the performance.

The front row find if the current props remain injury free

Second row has a few question marks and the back row VdF is the key ( both function well going forward but may be falter against bigger sides .)

Backs it all depends on the out half
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

These days any report, whether in a 'quality' newspaper such as the Irish Times, or the 'boards' (e.g. the 42), seems to spend almost as long claiming red/yellow cards were missed and/or warranted than actually report on the points scoring activity. There also seems to be a tendency that Leinster lost only due to refereeing deficiencies and failures (cf reports on matches v La Rochelle and Bulls). It matters not whether it's an English, SA, French, Georgian or Martian referee. And only politeness stops the complaints about Hollie Davidson and Joy Neville.

Tbh, only Adam McKendry (formerly of this board) is worth reading and doesn't see his primary task as generating click-bait.

Munster supporters went through that phase a few years back although they do seem to have clocked that the reason they now lose is because of their own failures and deficiences. Ian Foster looks like he's starting on that journey too.....