Big Merv's nature watch.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Big Merv's nature watch.

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Was out for a walk near one of or inshore loughs and managed a few photos of dragonflies that look majestic at this time of year. Can really only get decent shots when they're stationary or laying, but did get a couple I was quite pleased with in free flight (as it's difficult to hand hold the camera for steadiness and focus on these wee beggars that can be doing 30mph just a few yards away.

darters to start with - male and female Common Darters (possibly Ruddy Darters, although I'm not sure we have those in N.I.?) - if anyone can tell me, I'd be grateful.
Attachments
DSC_7669 small.JPG
DSC_7669 small.JPG (156.11 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
DSC_7643 small.JPG
DSC_7643 small.JPG (136.15 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
DSC_7535 small.JPG
DSC_7535 small.JPG (230.48 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

and a few Brown Hawker Dragonflies
Attachments
DSC_7654 small.JPG
DSC_7654 small.JPG (68.08 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
DSC_7618 small.JPG
DSC_7618 small.JPG (233.93 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
DSC_7607 small.JPG
DSC_7607 small.JPG (234.45 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
DSC_7545 small.JPG
DSC_7545 small.JPG (243.92 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

and the last one I was reasonably pleased with -
Attachments
DSC_7657 small.JPG
DSC_7657 small.JPG (72.54 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rovi Snave wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:48 am Great pictures Cap’n 👍
Very surprised she managed to take down a pigeon 😳
Strangely enough, after me saying a female sparrowhawk could take a pigeon, but a male couldn't, I had a male chased down a pigeon in my garden a few days ago within a few feet of me. At the very last moment, the pigeon swooped beak-first into the fence while the hawk took evasive action and landed on the garage roof looking to see where its intended prey had got to (it was lying stunned on the ground).

As I got up to get my camera, the sparrowhawk decided it didn't want to be there anymore, and the pigeon took its chance to escape. So no, I stand by my assertion that a male couldn't take down a pigeon - but it didn't stop that one from trying. :lol:

AND the following day the female hawk was back and swooped into a group of pigeons in my garden, this time without success. About 10 minutes later, a solitary pigeon landed on the fence and Mrs Grumpy commented, "I wouldn't stay there Mr Pigeon, if I were you." For the avoidance of doubt, we didn't have time to ascertain if it was a male or female pigeon, because within seconds, the female sparrowhawk emerged from behind the fence and hit it with a bang. The pigeon wasn't held and took off down the side of the house, followed by its would-be assassin, and we were greeted by the sight of several more feathers blowing back towards us. I followed into the street and saw the hawk pinning the pigeon to the road about 15 yards away, but before it could dispatch its victim, some kids started throwing stones at it. It made a half-hearted effort to carry the pigeon but after a few feet it let go and the pigeon escaped - whether to live or die from its injuries, I know not. Female hawk then went and sat in the trees beside my house, presumably hoping for another stupid pigeon to land on the fence. :roll:
Attachments
Mantling its prey in the road until chased off by childer
Mantling its prey in the road until chased off by childer
DSC_7858 small.JPG (157.28 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
"Any more stoopid pigeons want eaten?"
"Any more stoopid pigeons want eaten?"
DSC_7881 small.JPG (197.88 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
I'm not arguing -
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I prefer throwing stones at children.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

At Cafe Accipiter yesterday afternoon - just to show that there's more than pigeons on the menu - was Sturnidae Tartare.

I heard the cackle of magpies in alarm mode and looked out just in time to see a ♀️ Sparrowhawk flying past the window with a raw but very dead looking starling in her claws. She disappeared into the trees, so no foties this time.
I'm not arguing -
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Spotted some Lough Neagh eels on Monday.

They were in the freezer section at the Mace in Toome.

If you weren’t expecting such a delicately smoked artisan product to come cheap then you’d be right, but they were damned good (especially fried up with some butter this morning).
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

justinr73 wrote:Spotted some Lough Neagh eels on Monday.

They were in the freezer section at the Mace in Toome.

If you weren’t expecting such a delicately smoked artisan product to come cheap then you’d be right, but they were damned good (especially fried up with some butter this morning).
Top tip, they don't need any extra butter as the lough eels have sufficient fat content to be thrown in the pan and cooked in their own juices.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I bought a Trail Cam for the back garden.

Some shots from last night. I also have some video but can't upload it here :(
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG (142.35 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG (141.74 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG (142.37 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG (142.06 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I was putting the bin out about midnight the other night and had a bit of a turn when something scuttled past me, claws clattering loudly on the drive.

Recovering my composure, I spotted a juvenile badger heading towards the Upper Newtownards Road at high speed.

I mean it wasn’t letting any car tyres down or anything. It just wasn’t fully grown.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I was putting the bin out about midnight the other night and had a bit of a turn when something scuttled past me, claws clattering loudly on the drive.

Recovering my composure, I spotted a juvenile badger heading towards the Upper Newtownards Road at high speed.

I mean it wasn’t letting any car tyres down or anything. It just wasn’t fully grown.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

What's the difference between a £22 trail cam, a £120 trail cam and a £420? Obviously the second is a much better bit of kit and the third is much better still, but is the cheap one worth a go or a waste of money?
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Hi Solids
The £22 is fine if it's just for basic recording stills etc. as long as they are sealed properly shut they will perform just as good but of course doesn't have all the gizmos of the more expensive ones.
We use them quite a lot on a large private estate for poacher watch etc and find the basic ones do a pretty decent job.

Hope this helps.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:23 pm What's the difference between a £22 trail cam, a £120 trail cam and a £420? Obviously the second is a much better bit of kit and the third is much better still, but is the cheap one worth a go or a waste of money?
I bought a Vanbar D500 22 Mp (about £60 on Amazon). Obviously the cheaper end of the market but I'm quite pleased especially with the sound and vision on the video footage.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Thanks guys. I know we have four footed things wandering through our garden, I've glimpsed one or two but I'd like to see a bit more. Watch out Mr Attenborough!